Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by JPN2, May 16, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The infamous Jeff Gordon T-Rex car, built 100% by the nascar rule book. Ran one race in which Gordon ran away by 8 tenths a lap and dominated the all star event. After the race the car, which had passed pre race inspection and post race inspection was deemed "illegal" to ever race again by NASCAR boss Brian France. After arguments with engineers saying its completely legit exactly to your rulebooks, France made crew chief Ray Evernham ring his boss Rick Hendrick to tell him the race car was now illegal to compete again.

[​IMG]

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Why T. rex had forelimbs is one of the enduring mysteries of dinosaur paleontology.

4. hotwater

The name the Toronto Raptors makes no sense until you consider the fact that the Movie Jurassic Park
    was popular at the time they entered the league.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Kind of like the British Lions in rugby union.
    Ain't no fucken lions in Britain. :p

6. hotwater

True but at least the Lion is a traditional symbol of Great Britain, whereas last I checked, there were no velociraptors in Canada [​IMG]

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Raptors were actuly the size of a chicken. But that does not make them as scary. So Hollywood takes liberties and people still think of Jurassic Park when they think of them.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think they're bigger than a chicken, and look up the Utah Raptor which was another beast altogether and more to like what Jurassic Park actually went for. There were many species of Raptor though, big and small.

9. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

They were against Cleveland

Irminsul likes this.
  10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Apparently it was actually Crichton, who wrote Jurassic Park that initially took liberties and the "velociraptors" were based on a different dinosaur.

But part of their wiki entry states something interesting upon analyzing the dinosaurs ...

"They found the bite force of Deinonychus to be between 4,100 and 8,200 newtons, greater than living carnivorous mammals including the hyena, and equivalent to a similarly sized alligator. "

Still probably not a dino, you'd want to be trapped in a kitchen with.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah, the Utah Raptor. :p

Anyone ever watch a show about 5 years ago called Jurassic Fight Club? They took the bones they found from digs and worked out a hypothetical scenario as to the damage of their bones and had cool CGI to go with it. It was like a scientific forensics team. Pretty cool though.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i suppose it's a pretty good argument for evolution. the useless forelimbs were just a remnant of some distant ancestor, sort of like the human appendix.

technically, a raptor is just a bird of prey. just because the toronto raptors decided to use a velociraptor for their mascot, that doesn't necessarily mean they were named for the dinosaur.

not to say they weren't named for the dinosaur either. i really don't know the story, and sports owners/fans/voters have been known to do some nonsensical things in the past.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

the t-rex arms were clearly used for balance. i dunno why its so hard to see that lol.
    and so many other similar species also had short arms so why y'all pickin on the rex for?????

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i pick on the rex because i know he can't punch me.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

lol.
    he got a strong tail though. he just spin around send you on your ass and stomp you, stomp you good :p

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Birds have been recognized as belonging to the clade Dinosauria since 1868, but the theory was rejected due to the supposed lack of a clavicle in dinosaurs. However, they are present but had been mis-identified as an interclavicle.
    [​IMG]
    Feather like structures have been identified on a wide variety of dinosaur groups.
    The Archaeopteryx fossil has been known about since Darwin's time.
    [​IMG]
    In addition skeletal structure, behavior patterns, and the presence of gizzard stones all support the theory that modern day birds are descendant from dinosaurs.

So not only did dinosaurs exist, they still exist today according to present scientific consensus.
    Origin of birds

17. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

Gosh, without the odd coloring (green) I have several neighbors who look just like this.... horrors...

18. hotwater

The citizens of Toronto voted to name their NBA franchise the Raptors after the Raptors in the movie Jurassic Park which was in theatres at the time.

Really, even though there are other things associated with the City of Toronto although at the top of my head the only thing that comes to mind are ice Storms

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

So, I'm sold on the whole dinosaurs thing. I don't think they're made up at all. :)

20. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

the toronto ice storms would actually be a pretty cool name for a basketball team.

hotwater likes this.