Did you ever Play, Manage or Coach?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WOLF ANGEL, Jul 17, 2021.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Have you either Played, Coached or Managed?
    Either as a player or as Coach/Manager, have you within you personal experience something that lives in the memory?
    I have been a player (of Football Association) within a team, a Runner (of local and Regional level) of individual endeavour - in my youth, and latterly as a Coach.
    For me, I have the best memories of Coaching, where I had a fair amount of success.
    Achieving success within the Sport of Womens Football, and mentoring someone who I had from the age of eight, to see her go to play at National lever at 15 years I found to be most rewarding

scratcho, Jude96 and MeAgain like this.
  2. Kenwood1

Kenwood1 Members

I played football through middle and highschool. Had to quit due to a knee injury (torn ACL/MCL/miniscous). Through college I played ice hockey, and continue to play ice hockey on adult leagues to this day (2nd torn ACL, torn bicep). I did coach several teams in college as well. I enjoyed coaching, but playing has always been my passion. I never got the thrill from coaching that so many others do.

scratcho, MeAgain and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  3. WOLF ANGEL

I think for me it was the injuries (broken legs -one of which I did on myself; will an ill-advised faint, twist and turn,when my foot was kept stuck in a rut) ankle ligament damages and two knee incidents (sustained from overly excited opponents) that hampered advancement of the playing side of my sporting achievement, and saw me switch to the Coaching/Management side of my Sport -(Football-Soccer).

Coaching however, allowed me to pass on what knowledge/experience that I had/have to others.
    I was fortunate that because of the still stigmatised sport of female 'soccer' at the time (circa 1990), the players I had under my wing had a deterimnation to succeed both as individuals and as a team-united against a culture of dismissive recognition
    The Girls could play and were successful in their achievements which gave me a good deal of satisfaction, and continue to keep in touch as they matured into women.
    - Sadly, injuries caught up with most of them, though their Spirit remained. They have each achieved personal succcess in their chosen fields of work, and now with most married and/or children settled down to become as strong indepent individualls, though they too it seems remembered 'the old days'
    (8 of then doing a suprise video of the 'Toilet-Roll keepy up challenge' for my 60th Birthday :) )
    So, despite the curtailing of my own playing achievement, for them to do that after so many years, was an appreciation that I had contributed in some way to their Sporting development, that I can look back on with a degeree of pride.
    But as you say, to each their own :)

scratcho and Kenwood1 like this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I wrestled in high school and wasn't bad at all.
    I was offered a spot in college but I would have had to cut my hair so I declined.

I coached wrestling at a junior high for, I think, two years. We had a winning record, but not outstanding.
    Then one year at the high school one of our wrestlers stabbed a rival wrestler in the back right in the middle of the mat after a meet.
    Luckily another one of our wrestlers stopped the blood and saved the kid's life. The school almost lost it's state wrestling certification over that one.
    After that both coaches at the high school resigned as they had had enough. Both had been coaching for years.

So another fellow and I took over.
    In three years we had rebuilt the team and won several district championships, advanced several kids to the states, and won one state championship, the first the school ever earned, and we got recognized by the State House of Representatives.

Then I got laid off from teaching in that district and went to another district.
    The junior high wrestling program was in shambles so I again took up coaching with another guy and we rebuilt the team and got it to the point where we were undefeated for three consecutive years.
    During this time I also coached grade school kids in the off season.

Then we both resigned as we were at the top of the game and getting tried of the long hours and long season.

I really loved coaching and working with the kids. During that time I worked with kids from broken homes, trouble makers, and some of the best kids you would ever want to meet.
    I saw kids break collar bones, legs, and get concussions and other injuries and not one ever complained. Had our kids wrestle blind opponents, girls, and one kid with only one leg; and we always stressed fair play and respect for each other and other teams.

I really miss coaching, but I'm too old for that stuff now!

scratcho and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  5. WOLF ANGEL

That's a Great story.
    I think it captures the ethos of the nature of Sport.
    Starting from scratch, inspiring and creating unity, addressing and overcoming adversity, especially when it involves the challenges of those with personal difficulties, is tremendously rewarding.
    It is the cornerstone of which one triumphs both as a Coach and a person.
    Whilst age catches up with all of us, - physically
    Have you considered writing, either of your experiences and/or any advisory literature to aid/assist others?

6. MeAgain

Thanks, but nah.

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  7. MissKristyn

MissKristyn Members

I ran track in high school and college.

8. WOLF ANGEL

Have you any Good stories, that you have seen, and/or experienced to tell?

9. maineiac

maineiac Members

I was on the wrestling team in jr high, after that I had the chance to play hockey during my college years and had to quit once I got my married, I started playing again in my mid 40s and ended up falling on ice in a mall parking lot and I broke my ankle in 3 places and now I have a plate and 7 screws and I have not tried to skate since but will probably try again when my grandson gets older, I have been designated as his skating instructor.

WOLF ANGEL and MeAgain like this.
  10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I played soccer, basketball, and ran track, at different stages throughout Jr and Senior High School.

I continued to play basketball throughout my years in the Air Force, in college, and beyond but only pickup games and still occasionally do today..

I never coached, and speaking of coaching this local youth hockey coach should have joined the priesthood - he would have fit right in.

scratcho and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  11. WOLF ANGEL

Codes of Conduct are really important.
    A few years ago, it was quite easy to slip into roles be it Sports, scouts, or any position where the vulnerable are at potential risk.
    The introduction of safeguards have gone some way to addressing some of the issues, but things are never that straight forward and there is always Danger never so far away

hotwater likes this.
  12. Jude96

Jude96 Members

I played baseball and football in high school, lots of sports otherwise just pickup with kids like basketball, pond hockey and stuff. I loved playing, especially baseball. The smell of the grass and dirt still sticks with me. Great memories.

scratcho, MeAgain and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  13. MeAgain

When I was a child we built our own baseball field. We had a pitcher's mound, backstop, bases, and signs marking out the distance to home plate. We even would lime the baselines.
    In the mornings I'd run over to the field and roll out a box of bats we kept in the garage. We didn't have enough kids to make up teams so we'd play "roundsees", or "fly or first bounce". You had to play the field deep as it slanted uphill and it was easier to run inward to catch a short hit than outward to catch a long one.

To pick the first batter we'd grab a bat upside down and take turns putting one hand over the other. Whoever came out on top by putting their thumb over the middle went first. There were a number of grips you could use.

14. Jude96

Jude96 Members

Love it. Those are the best kind of memories. My back yard started to have little base paths because we always played wiffle ball. There was a fence behind us that separated the two yards and we'd use it as our home run. My sister was actually pretty kickass at softball and played with all of us boys all the time. Pond hockey was always fun too.

scratcho, WOLF ANGEL and MeAgain like this.
  15. MeAgain

Yes we'd play ice hokey on a pond also.
    There was a farm near us we'd walk to that had two ponds that ran a as private fishing thingy at in the summer. The farmer would check the ice then we'd clear it of snow and play hockey on it. We'd use hockey sticks or brooms and every now and then the ice would groan or let out a cracking sound and we'd all race to the bank till it stopped, then head back out again. No cell phones either!

scratcho, Jude96 and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  16. Jude96

Jude96 Members

I miss the days with no cell phones, lol

scratcho, WOLF ANGEL and MeAgain like this.
  17. I ran track and cross country in high school. My junior year we were undefeated in CC and were state champs. My body changed between junior and senior years. I gained height and weight and played football. I played organized hockey into my 40’s. Made a lot of good lasting friendships in sports.

WOLF ANGEL, scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  18. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

I played football (voted MVP), basketball, baseball, and track in high school and baseball in college. Elected to city/county Athletic Hall of Fame. Lots of memories and hard to name a favorite. One side benefit was that a beautiful girl started dating me in high school because she wanted to wear my football letter jacket, a sign that we were "going steady" in the old days. We've been married 40 years, so football helped me capture the perfect lady. I coached my kids in baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, and volleyball

WOLF ANGEL, scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  19. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

Ran track till I messed up my knee. in school. Never bothered with sports after that till my son wanted to play soccer around 6-7 years old. So we signed him up. And I noticed that almost all of the parents were using it as a baby sitting service and never got involved. The coach was by himself and having a hard time controlling all of the kids. So I jumped in to help. And well I coached for a number of years till I felt that I was beyond my level of knowledge .Only to be told a year or so after that by one of the parents that with out coaching his son during those years. And learning so much that his son would not have been able to play at the college level that he was playing at. Made me feel kind of humble.

WOLF ANGEL and scratcho like this.
  20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I played fast pitch softball as a pitcher. I could whip it pretty good. One of the last games I played, I hit 3 home runs, two right handed, one left handed. Basketball was my favorite though. I think that I was good enough ot play pro, but I was too interested in drinking and smoking and jackin' around. I played center at 6' 2" and had a penchant for being a sneaky player and an odd sense of timing. Last city league game I played , I fouled out in the third quarter with 38 points against some very big players from Detroit that were in town to play for college . I watched many, many pro games on TV and stole every fancy shot made in addition to the ones I made up. I always wished that I could have been good at track---I was quick ( which helped at B Ball) , but not fast. Played football a couple years in High School, but decided I had better save my knees for B Ball , and sit in the stands with the girls!

I remember when girls basketball was ridiculous in that there were 3 players from each team on defense and 3 from each team on offense. The defense could not go past half court, and offense had to stay on the other end of the court and the girls could only dribble twice!! I've really gotten into watching women's B Ball and they are very good these days.

WOLF ANGEL likes this.