Did Protest music die with 9/11?

Discussion in 'Music' started by brothersun, May 16, 2004.

1. brothersun

brothersun Member

Did protest music die with 9/11. Are people afraid now? Just after 9/11 many groups and soloist made pro american songs. To honor the flag and the lifes lost. Now there nothing wrong with this. I think its good to bring the people together and be proud of your country. But now that america has gone to the extreem with there war on terror. And using it as a trump card with any act of aggression they take. You think nows time to protest and say this is going to far. People are dieing needlessly. But are people afraid now? Afraid to be labeled collaboraters or terrorist or anti american. I honestly think this is the time to be brave and stand up to what you believe in, and use whatever form of media that is available.

Tell me what you think?

2. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I don't think protest muzic's dead. There's this new album called "Rock Against Bush" or something like that. It's got Anti-Flag, NOFX and Against Me, plus more mainstream bands like The Offspring, Sum41 and Good Charlotte. So, just making an album like that would be enough evidence for protest music.

[​IMG]

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I really don't know if it did. My feelings are that politics and music don't really mix anyhow. It worked years ago with Dylan and Joan Baez and such, but now it really seems to be kind of redundant. The protest music of today will never stand the test of time like the older stuff has. People are more open about politics these days anyway, so there just doesn't seem like a purpose in protest music anymore. Fourty years ago, protest music was about starting a movement and a shift in consciousness that has existed since that time.

Plus, I like to do my own thinking, rather than be told by some musician what he believes is right. There is only so much that can be said through protest music, and this is why I think it's ultimately a sham. After a while it's just "protest music" and nothing more. It gets old, fast.

4. SoundStepper

SoundStepper Member

What i think is, music has gone so mainstream, with many major companys taking over that many musicians probally are making anti war music, but clear channel probally is doing something to pervent such artists from comming up, and being noticed, with music being more a bussiness these days, im not surpriesd that less and less artists are stepping aside and letting the ones looking to make money step into the light. There are many bands putting out protest songs, but are more hidden then thoes singing about "The Club or what their rollin' ".

Many may not be certain with what this war is, and what really is going on because the government is doing a job of keeping things undercover. Also they have been talking about doing many diffrent things with the first amendment.

Don't worry their will be plenty of protest when something hits home more than other things that have already happened, with talk of re-enacting the draft, then there will be more protest.

But your right, there should be more protest music, it is what usally shapes peoples minds and makes them see things they maybe would not have seen.

5. brothersun

brothersun Member

Well if protest music did not die. The radio stations and other media would not play because of some sort of backlash. I find music today very boring, and stick to the same comfortable formula. There are exceptions, i do enjoy the funky sounds of Nelly Furtado. I enjoy some protest music and it has a message behind the music. And i still believe music an important media to reach all generations. And unfortunately the music now that young people listen to is hip hop. Which most have a negative attitude, treat women like sex objects to be conquered, fighting, killing, revenge and the attitude that you are better then anyone else. You see it everyday with the attitude of young people. I'm not saying all, but alot. Oh well now i'm way off topic

6. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I don't know if protest music died with 9/11. Actually, because of the Iraq shit, there's been protest music - but I don't think protest music now is the same as it was back in the day.

7. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

I seriously think that Music needs to get back to where it once belonged. The stuff today gives the completely wrong message to young people, not to mention that it just plain stinks. Not all music, don't get me wrong, but most of the popular stuff is hip hop or angry rock. There needs to be some more peaceful songs that protest violence and the war and promote peace. All though I did hear a song on some award show some time ago that, even though it was rap, was about violence and current situations. It was pretty cool, but I''m not so sure anyone got the message.

8. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

9. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

what's your (all) opinion on overcome used for 9/11, better yet, imagine used for 9/11. I think some people are afraid to sing anti american songs now, because ppl will say they dont respect the tragedy of 9/11

10. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

I agree. People are afraid that they won't be seen as patriotic. Supporting the war has been so ingrained in everyone that no one wants to question the system.

11. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I can't say I agree with what anyone has said so far. It seems like most people have this naive idea that all Americans are braindead sheep who don't question their government, or are afraid to question their government.

The only musicians that might be afraid to express themselves politically are the ones who are bound by some big-label, multi-million dollar record contract (if that's the case, they shouldn't even be making protest music to begin with). If it really concerns you so much, there is a lot of protest music out there. But I am sure a lot of you listen to the radio and watch MTV, so you don't really know what is out there. I don't see how people can say what is out there and what isn't, unless you've really heard A LOT of music.

I still don't see the point of protest music, though. It's been done already. If bands would try to be more revolutionay in their art than their political stance, there might be some progress being made in the world of music.

If I want to listen to protest music, I'll listen to Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, Fela Kuti, or Robert Wyatt. These artists say stuff in their music that is as relevant today as it was upon its time of conception.

Most of the people I have heard trying to make protest music lately are unoriginal bores who don't have an ounce worth of original thought. They just know how to strum a guitar and play the role. Or they scream at you through their musically uninspiring work. Again, it gets old.

12. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Protest and its music isn't dead, it's just the numbskulls outnumber us and want to opress our voice of protest because they don't want us to have a mind of our own.

Protest all you like, you're not alone, and there's still protest music out there, you just have to look for it.

They don't want you to rebel, they want you to follow, and they'll resort to any means necessary to get you to follow. When 9/11 happened, any protest, rebellion, or anti-war themed song was banned.

They specifically banned the beatles who never promoted war, only peace. Coincidence? No! Conspiracy? Ploy? Yes indeedy!

But don't fall for the patriotic flag waving crap they feed us. It's good to be proud of your country, just don't be a flag waving numbskull whose anthem is "Courtesy of the red, white, and blue". Blech!

no offense to anyone who likes that song I mentioned.

13. Silent Jay & The

Silent Jay & The Member

Protest music is not dead. Look at people like Ani Di Franco.
    In germany protest music got very famous on student radios and some groups made very cool LP's.

14. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

The one old '60s protest song that I would most like to see revived is Jefferson Airplane's We Can Be Together. "We are all outlaws in the eyes of Amerika...We are obscene, lawless, dangerous, dirty, violent, and young...We can be together...Up against the wall, motherfucker, Tear Down The Wall!"

Sigh...but who nowdays can play guitar like Jorma, or sing like a young, relatively sober, Gracie?

15. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Heh, protest rap:

Public Enemy - Son of a Bush

Uh! Backwards!

C'mon! C'mon! C'mon! (c'mon!)

Oh no, struck by greased lightning
    F'ed by the same last name, you know what?
    China ain't never givin back that god damned plane
    Must got this whole nation trained on some kennel ration
    Refrain, the same train, full of cocaine, blows the brain
    Have you forgotten? I've been through the first term of rotten
    The father, the son and the holy Bush-shit we all in
    Don't look at me, I ain't callin for no assasination
    I'm just sayin, sayin
    Who voted for that asshole of your nation?
    Deja Bush, crushed by the headrush, when I wrote the bumrush
    Saw you salute to the then Vice Pres
    Who did what RayGun [Reagan] said
    And then became prez himself, went for delf
    Knee deep in his damned self
    Stuck in a three headed bucket, a trilateral Bush-shit
    Sorry ain't no better way of puttin it
    No you cannot freestyle this
    Cause you still ain't free
    If I fight for y'all then they get me
    How many o y'all is comin to get me?
    None! Cause it's easier to forget me
    Ain't that a Bush, son of a Bush is here all up in yo zone
    You ain't never heard so much soul to the bone
    I told y'all when the first Bush was tappin my telephone
    Spy vs. Spy, can't truss em, as you salute to the illuminati
    Y'know what? Take yo ass to your one millionth party!

He's the son of a Baaaaaad man
    The son of a bad...
    Son of a bad..........

Now here's the pitch
    Hiding inside certified genocide
    Ain't that a Bush, repeat ain't that a Bush?
    Out of nowhere headed to the hot house
    Killed 135 at the last count
    Texas Bounce! Texas Bounce! (c'mon)
    Cats in a cage got a ghost of a chance
    Of comin back from your whack-ass killin machine
    Son of a Bush, ain't that a son of a Bush
    Cats doin bids for the same Bush-shit that you did (the father)
    Serial killer kid, uhh! Serial killer kid
    Go on!

The son of a bad...
    Son of a bad.........

the father, the son...
    the father, the son...
    (go on, better go on)
    the father, the son, and the holy Bush-shit
    The father...
    The father...

Coke is the real thing
    Used to make you swing
    Used to be yo thing
    Daddy had you under his wing
    Uhh, son of a Bush
    Bringin kilos to fill up silos
    You probably sniffed piles
    Got inmates in Texas scrubbin tiles
    That shit is wild
    That shit is wild CIA child
    That shit is wild CIA child......

The son of a bad...
    Son of a bad......

Son of a bad, man

16. mjoda

mjoda Member

what, so you were the only one listening who was intelligent enough to "get the message"?