Diapers

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Sunburst, May 16, 2004.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Do (or will) you use cloth diapers on your baby? Personally, I prefer cloth because

1) Hundreds of dollars not wasted on tons of disposable ones
    2) Better for the environment ( not contributing to dumps)

2. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

I probably will, since I plan on raising my kids in Africa and disposables are rather hard to come by over there. But, if you've never changed a cloth diaper I suggest you try it sometime--not pretty. Of course, any dirty diaper isn't pretty, but with cloth you have to scrape off the shit into the toilet before you can throw it in the wash. Don't mean to sound too negative, I've just been scarred in the whole cloth-diaper department cause at the orphanage they all had diarrhea, cloth diapers, and no baby wipes! And all I had to do was put it in a tub of water--not even half of the real gross part! Oh well, I guess I'll have to find a way to deal. It'll probably be easier since I'll have adopted the kids so they're my own.

Pax,
    Kate

3. Cre

Cre Senior Member

We use cloth. Abigail is now 18 months old. It is more work, but worth it.

4. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I'd like to but it just isn't something I have time for. We don't own a washer or dryer and everyother week I get a chance to get wash done. I'm single with no help from the dad and two babies(under 2) in diapers. Even if I wanted to hand wash its too cold here half the year for things to even dry. Two babies=too little time, lol. Maybe if I have more childern later on in life and a husband to help I'll have time to cloth diaper them.

5. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Sunburst, if you don't mind me asking... do you have a child? Or, do you just babysit or have a younger sibling?

6. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I planned on using cloth diapers. However, the first time dh changed a poopy diaper that whole idea went out the window. But I now realize that he is resistant to changing any diapers so it wouldn't matter if they were cloth or not. DS is now 22 months old. I don't know if it would be worth it to change to cloth now or not. Yesterday we ran out of pampers so he was in a cloth diaper until reinforcements arrived. I really like it. I sold most of my cloth diapers a few months go. They were too small for him anyway. I think it would be better for him and for the environment. But at his age is it even worth the investment to change.

Kathi

7. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I started using cloth diapers a few months ago. It has been sooo much cheaper!! Plus, my daughter's butt has never been so rash-free! It really isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I don't have a dryer, so I have to line dry, but in South Carolina, the sun dries everything in a few hours. And now that she is older, she doesn't have the crazy poops of a young baby.

8. sweetpeace

sweetpeace Member

i used disposables with my now 4 year old only because i had no time or money and was a single mom working 40+ hours a week.
    with this baby we are doing cloth because i stay at home, thanks to my old man, and have more time (not neccesarily $) than last time. so far i have spent about $10 and have 30+ diapers (gerber type prefolds), 8 covers (size newborn -small), and a couple of AIO's. i found everything at rummage sales in very good condition! i think that a lot of people have good intentions and want to try them but just give it up after awhile. that is probably why i have found so much size small stuff in such good condition.
    and there is a lady down the street from us, who said she would give us all of her covers as her daughter grows out of them!!
    we have really been blessed. there is no way now that i could justify using disposables:)
    i am actually looking forward to this new cloth diapering experience. i can't say the same for my old man though!!
    --sweetpeace

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

My mother used cloth nappys/diapers on me (because it was the mid eighties and disposables were crap)
    I'd love to carry that on with my own [future] children for all the reasons mentioned. :)

TTFN

Sage

10. indigorainhemp

indigorainhemp Member

I have a 5 year old and I used disposables due to time & no washer in my apt at that time. My g'friend had a diaper service. You pay about $12.00 - $15.00 per month and they drop off clean sterlie diapers,,,then you put them into the same container they brought them in and they pick up the container! I beleive you have to dump the poo out but no soaking in water or washing. They woudl keep the container outside and on the day of pick up on the front porch ,,then they pick them up and leave you new ones!

11. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Hahaha, no, I don' have a child (yet), but I love kids, and am planning on raising mine as naturally as I can:)