Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by rg paddler, Jun 27, 2006.

1. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

no, a rock can't literally be anyone's "best friend"It's a marketing gimmick to make men believe that so they will buy it, then more women want diamonds because their friends have them, etc, etc.

I was given an aquamarine ring as an engagement ring. He asked my friends what I liked and I think it is beautiful.

2. fritz

fritz Heathen

Oh, aquamarine is pretty! I'll admit I like sparklys!
    However, it's actually a point of pride for me that I worked hard enough to be able to buy the stuff myself.
    As far as gifts, or sentiments go...Something handmade, or even a small treasure like a naturally worn riverbed stone picked because of it's unique beauty can defintely mean so much more.

3. lola78

lola78 Member

I saw this show on diamonds it was pretty eye opening. Debeers owns almost all the diamond mines. The market is run by suppliers and brokers. Russia also has a lot of diamonds. Mining for diamonds destroys the earth and the politics sourrounding a African diamonds really turns me off to them. I would rather have a color stone. A pink sapphire maybe. We have decided to put all our money to buying a house. So my "diamond" is a downpayment on a great place to live with my family. It's a good trade off to me.

4. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

It's just a fucking song.

5. opium_eyes

opium_eyes Une Canadien Errant

watch gentlemen prefer blondes. it was written for that movie.
    ever heard of gold diggers?
    to a gold digger, a diamond IS their best friend. a diamond is a symbol that a very wealthy man is willing to sign over at least half of his shit.
    but seriously, watch gentlemen prefer blondes. you'll like the song.

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

There is always Cubic Zirconium. No one can tell the difference, other than a jeweler with a Loop stuck in his eye, anyway. I guess that wouldn't help them fall out of style, though.

Those blue stones are beautiful.......oooo, shiney. :)

7. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Diamonds are an example of the materialism fawned over in this society i believe. Im not a fan of the bloody wars they cause, thats why I dont like the real ones.

I absolutely love pearls though....

8. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

I think if it was thoughtful and personal to the woman, shed be happy, whatever was presented. Even if it wasnt even a ring.

9. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

sweet hook us up lol

10. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

in marriage contracts, there is always a degree of materialism, even in more "primitive" societies. people wanna know their baby will be taken care of. or, if a bride price is paid, it's even more practical. they're taking away one of their worker bees, therefore the family has to be paid for the loss of labor. wherever you go, people have a price tag attached to them.

and pearls aren't without their damages.

11. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

I like what you wrote.

And I think the process of pearls is amazing

12. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

they are gorgeous. people do a lot to have something beautiful.