Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by rg paddler, Jun 27, 2006.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i'm entirely too frumpy to wear fine jewelry, though i have from time to time greatly enjoyed wearing highly original and flamboyant cocktail jewelry of low quality. just something kinda fun about it. my inheritance will include a home in florida, an exquisite roll-top desk and a gorgeous dining set. i'm a homey kinda person.

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

because they can sell it when everything falls apart, money in the bank

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Great post, KC! My grandma passed down her mama's few diamonds down to her daughters and a few grandaughters. (I got one, which was over 100 years old when Bear and I got engaged in 1984.) They were her mama's ONLY possesion, save her pots and pans..........nuff said.

Other than that, I don't have any diamonds. The one my gramma gave me DID fall out of my ring, and I actually found it,after frantically searching while moving house, and it's been sitting in an envelope marked "Engagment Set" with the two rings, which no longer fit me, for 12 years. Oh, well.

4. spooner

spooner is done.

You can get non-blood diamonds. Just buy Canadian.

5. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

exactily

6. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

just curious, would most, (or do most) women here expect a diamond ring when it comes to marriage? or would they be just as thrilled to accept a sapphire ring, or emerald ring?

7. fritz

fritz Heathen

After I booted hubby I bought some jewelry. Our wedding bands that I had bought were silver.
    Found two topaz rings, one was burnt to a gorgeous evergreen, set in wt gold. I like to gaze into it. I find the color calming.
    One of the reasons diamonds are considered so great is because of the mohs hardness scale.
    As far as being a symbol of love or devotion..Obvious bullshit.
    I liked mamaboogies post.

8. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

i'm engaged...with no ring....but if i were to get a ring, i would prefer ruby or at least a cheap red stone...

9. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I would ask the womyn in question. And if she likes Diamond, buy Canadian. :)

10. Peace Attack

Peace Attack Make War

Personally my favorite stone is tanzanite. It's a pretty blue/purple color. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

11. fritz

fritz Heathen

I have a tanzanite diamond ring...It's locked up, never gets worn. I'd like to sell the fucking thing. :$
    Thing is, one of the reasons I picked topaz to wear is because I live rather rough. I need stuff to wear that I'm less likely to scratch up and destroy.
    IMHO, jewelry isn't really any measure of love. If he put the effort into even weaving you a little hemp ring...It should mean something to you if you love him.

12. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

"Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend"

Doesn't reflect favorably on either sex does it?

I realize it's an ad slogan but many
    actually appear to Believe it
    even though they attempt to CD this Belief away...

13. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

But even if you buy canadian diamonds, it perpetuates in those susceptible minds that diamonds really ARE the best. keeping them popular, which means that people that don't know about blood-diamonds will buy them without knowing.

Diamonds just need to fall out of fashion until the blood-diamond phenomenon stops.

14. barefoot_kirstyn

while i totally agree with what you're saying, at least id a daimond is actually some women's favourite jewlery, there is a 'blood-free' way to get them. Usually in jewlery shops, there are Canadian daimond display areas for just them.
    But honestly, saying "daimonds need to fall out of fashion so that the blood-daimond phenomenon stops" is just like what vegitarians are trying to get through about eating meat, or those designer clothes that are made by slavery in other coutries. Some people just don't care...it's never going to stop. We can only make a difference by more people stepping up and not buying anything but homegrown daimonds......but then if you think about it, the less they sell, the harder these slaves are going to have to work to produce more, lowering prices in attempt to get more people to buy them.

15. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

Its also the lyrics to a Marilyn Monroe song -

A kiss may be grand but it won't pay the rental
    on your humble flat, or help you at the automat.
    Men grow cold as girls grow old
    and we all lose our charms in the end.
    But square-cut or pear-shaped
    these rocks don't lose their shape -
    Diamonds are a girl's best friend​

so that would indicate that they symbolise wealth and female independance - uh? - it's just a song but then Marilyn Monroe is/was quite an icon

16. barefoot_kirstyn

I still don't understand how a rock could be a girls best friend. So when your man is ignoring you and treats you like crap cuz he's not charming anymore, an inanimate, sparkly object is supposed to replace all those sad feelings.....I think I'm over analyzing this.....:rolleyes:

17. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Yes - it's actually very simple.
    It boils down to $$$$$...

I would prefer platinum over pieces of broken glass bottles
    for many reasons... *g*

18. barefoot_kirstyn

lol, i know, i'm in an analytical mood, lol

19. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

yeah, it's not about someone giving you love, it's about getting some money, some security. despite the current low resale value as a good friend pointed out to me. historically speaking, a woman in a certain position probably wouldn't have the best feelings towards the male sex. being used, abused and cast aside for younger and prettier, at least she hit him where he actually cared, which would be his pocketbook. i think it also would be the cause of the women who would go after every cent her husband had after he cast her aside ofr another woman. he doesn't care about HER, but he damned well cares about his money.

20. fritz

fritz Heathen

Really good point, there...Not that I agree with those tactics nowadays..Then again, depends on the case.