Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by rg paddler, Jun 27, 2006.

1. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

2. pomunus

pomunus Member

Couldn't tell ya'. I can think of a lot more beautiful stones than diamonds, but every girl has her own taste.

3. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Payola.

4. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

I personally can't stand diamonds. I'm rather fond of rubies.

5. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

i dont want a diamond ring ever. i want a tigers eye ring for my wedding ring.

i'm also a fan of opals and jade.

6. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Diamonds are jewels soaked in the blood of 12 year old African miners.

Women all over the world should unite and stand together vowing blood stones are not a sign of affection.

7. water_dreamer

water_dreamer I

I always hated diamonds...never really thought they were much to look at anyway.

8. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

9. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Heres another good one.

http://www.downbound.com/category_s/292.htm

Diamonds are the bloodiest resource we use, more so then oil, and much less usefull. Diamonds are covered in the blood of the Second Congo civil war, the bloodiest war since World War 2, and many other conflicts. They are pillaged from the african people.

10. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

11. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I perfer Sapphires. Beautifull. Emeralds too, I love.

12. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

they're pretty.... shiny and clear and all that

but a decent quality cubic zirconium (sp?) is just as nice in my book... I'd be so paranoid about losing diamond jewelry if ever I were to receive some, I'd never actually wear it
    And anybody who was dating me would know that, and know that there are other, more personal gifts I would rather receive that cost waaaaay less

13. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I prefer wooden beads :p

14. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

they really aren't. it's just a really good slogan and marketing campaign.

a girl's best friend is almost always another woman. :)
    DH put the money as downpayment on our house instead of an engagement ring. I think that's much more practical. The ring I wear on my left hand is my mother's ring with my birthstone and the birthstones of our daughters in it. Not as sparkly, but much more colorful than a diamond ring.

15. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of places to get diamonds which slavery isn't an issue, Canada, Russia...

But you're still perpetuating a style driven demand for diamonds, which an a whole are largely mined using slave labor. The diamond as an engagement ring was part of a very sucessful advertising ploy created by De Beers in the 30's and picked up by many coutries.

I'll knock off the public service bit now.

16. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

17. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

because, you can only ever afford to have one.

18. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, for a lotta women, who are/were prevented from owning property except for what she has on her person, a gift of diamonds would be a wonderful way of ensuring her own sense of security. you can give a gift of diamonds, but a girl doesn't have ot give them back. should you engage yourself to a female, the diamond isn't just a sign of promise, it's a financial contract back from the days when women could be ruined for any other marriage by a broken contract of engagement. it was also a way for a man to show that he could financially support her and her children in the future. or, should you suddenly decide to leave your wife, she had portable wealth to liquidate should she be shuffled aside. it was also something of value she could pass down to her own daughters, rather than having them tied up in the inheritance that would typically fall to the son.

these lasting impressions of security have a way of sticking around. women haven't always been the best treated in terms of ownership of their own future. jewels are just one way of ensuring it. however, it has been transformed somewhat, but the old feelings don't die off. for many women, receiving and showing their jewelry is a way of saying, "i'm valued, i'm secure."

that being said, i'm a sucker for garnets and yellow topaz.

19. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

My engagement ring is a solitare diamond, and let me tell you, I am always looking down at my finger with a jolt of panic, worrying that the diamond has fallen out of it's setting. This actually happened to my mother's engagement ring before.

As far as diamonds go, I mean, I'll admit that I love the sparkle, but I'm not someone who thinks diamonds are a girl's best friend by any means. There are much more practical things to spend that kind of money on. Heck, I was sobbing hysterically when my husband presented me with my ring, because I felt so guilty, I felt that he should have used his money on something else. But it was something he wanted to do for me. I never once expected it and would have been happy with anything he gave me. So...there you have it.

20. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

Yeah, actually Canadian diamonds are among some of the nicest in the world. (not baised at all;)) I prefer them, plus I know where they came from. My setpdad is a welder and worked up in the Northwest Territories at a diamond mine...bought my mom's engagment ring up there, too;)
    I don't know why they're a girls best friend...KC has a really really good point.
    My wedding ring was actually given to me by my aunt who bought it for $50 at a bar she worked at 10 years ago and just had it lying around....we didn't have enough money for a ring, so she gave it to us (kinda funny, though, it's worth quite a lot, lol). Thankfully, it's WAY to small (small enough to still get on my finger, though) so that it won't slide off...you should have seen us trying to get it on my finger when I was a swollen 8-month pregant girl, lol...it was purple! But yeah, I don't like being given expensive jewlery, I am basically gaurenteed to loose it...don't think that I really have anything any guy has ever given to me (besides my promise ring, which is also too small, as well as my sweet 16 ring, but that's it)