detox

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by greenstar, Jan 6, 2005.

1. greenstar

greenstar Member

can anyone recommend a good detox program. i am seeking a healthier lifstyle and would like to begin by cleansing my body.

2. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

For two days don't eat, just drink loads of water and fruit juices. This is the best way to detox. I do this about twice a year especially after my summer holidays when I would've been boozing for nearly 2 weeks, it's works wonders.

3. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Any specific kind of fruit juice? What abouts teas and stuff? is that bad to dirnk while your detoxing?

4. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Ayurveda, east Indian medicine, reccomends that people fast once a week, every week for 24 hours. Unless you are vatta, which is an air person. Air people are generally really skinny. According to ayurvedic medicine it can be detrimental to fast for more than 24 hours. Its easy, you just eat supper and don't eat any more that night, then don't eat the next day until supper. You can drink honeyed water if you're really going crazy. When you do eat, eat whole foods: fruit, grains, and vegetables. Nothing out of a box kinda thing. Don't smoke, don't drink alcohol, don't eat meat, don't eat milk or cheese, don't eat fried foods. Always drink water. Go to the healthfood store and get sum of those D-tox pills. Beets and birdock root are good for cleansing.

5. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

smooth move is a really good tea (found in healthfood stores). oooh boy it'll make you poo !!

6. greenstar

greenstar Member

thanks for the suggestions. i think i'm going to try the twenty four hour fast starting tonight. can i still take vitamins tomorrow or should i skip for a day and only drink water?

7. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Don't take vitamins. Its always iffy when people say 'try'. If you do break your fast break it with nutritious food, and don't be hard on yourself.

8. greenstar

greenstar Member

i know i'm being iffy with saying i may try it tonight. i have a bad cough and cold, though, and i'm not sure if i should go through with the fast while sick. what do you think? is this something that you do once and week?

9. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Cranberry is meant to be the best, also tea is a stimulant so that'd be out of the question.

10. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Mmm...okay...thank you :)

11. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Ayurveda says the first thing a person should do when they are sick is fast. Digestion takes up alot of energy, when your not using that energy to digest stuff that energy goes to other things like battling your illness and cleansing your system. Even here in the west theres the saying,'feed a fever starve a cold.' Yep I fast once a week, it doesn't feel like a fast though because of the way its set up. The fist couple times I tried fasting I didn't even make it the 24 hours.