Destruction of Life for Sustenance

Discussion in 'Ethics' started by thumontico, Jan 8, 2005.

1. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

Please dont deny Broccoli a brain! -It already has the beginings of a rudimentry nervous system! -Please dont deny it and other vegetables and fruit the right to develope like their meatier counterfoods by singiling them out and eating them with a pregidious! -Be fair. -Eat a Bear! -Walk with the Broccoli :) !

2. freefall

freefall Member

3. Spiritforces

Spiritforces Member

Instead about thinking to what you eat to survive or what you shouldn't eat to survive
    You should think think about cutting a tree to print an underwear booklet or not cutting a tree to print an underwear booklet, just my two cents....

4. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

If your nice to the trees you wont have to cut them to get them to make underware magazines for you, theyl do it out of love. :)

5. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

but then, -One time I just took my knife out and SHOWED it to them and I made them take alla theyr clothes off and I made NAKED magazines outta them! ;)

6. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

Dont incorige me. :)

7. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Here's an interesting thought:

When we eat something (plant of animal), we take in its body and make it part of ours. It is dead as a seperate entity but continues in the game of life as part of me: my energy, or my cell structures.

Also, we all have to die at some point. Dying to promote life seems like a good reason to die. That carrot I eat doesn't die for nothing, it dies to let my life continue. Someday I will die and will help other beings' lives continue. Nature is a circle, don't think that that carrot's journey ends in your stomach. The circle is never broken, not even in death.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ok
    here are some (random) thoughts

For the question is it more or less ethical to eat a sentient being (in western perspective: seafood, finnned fish, poultry and certain mammals) rather than the plants, I say we all have to figure out what our ethical system leades to:
    if, for example , your ethical concern is overpoplulation, then is some form (not mine) omnivoreism, and the resulting imbalance of food could be considered ethical.
    If your ethics say all shall be fed by whatever means, then all potential survival sources can be considered within that frame.

Brandon feels all life is a gift or the Oversoul and there for none is less or more than the other. His extrapolation of this is "all is food."
    I also believe that all plants and animals are a gift of the oversoul but I chose to eat lower on the food chain.

In a different society, or in the case of living off the land, I would use what was available (with a natural preference for plants, but I doubt I'd starve rather than catch ONE trout)
    Since I have a choice, I sprout seeds and eat a lacto-veg dietary and I have balanced the leather or petrol-based alternatives with a delicate balance of making the imperfect substitute last as long as possible. (one pair of shoes, I own four including snow boots, has lasted since 1999 and is on its second resole. I expect it is middle aged for wearing at work and the like, but I see using them as gardening/ painting/ other grotty stuff wear for at least another decade) I do not use direct animal parts for vanity or convenience reasons (the animal fats used in industry will keep the planet from being vegan in operation). I am never the first purchaser of an animal product for say, wool socks. My wool is from thrift store sweaters. I don't buy leather for personal asthetic reasons. (scent and squeak)

when it comes down to western sustenance, dependent on farmed food, plants and animals, I'll take the plants.
    For Brandon, the Animals are Ok, too. I respect that. I understand the origin of that thought. I personally can't agree, but if all people thought all life was sacred, a lot of the prroblems in how we raise food and distribute it would go away.

any wanton destruction is a violation of ethics.

9. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I think the funniest thing is that the premise of this argument is that eating is destroying life; when in fact it is both destruction AND nurturing of life. I destroy the plant or animal's life, but nurture my own. Also, my feces and urine go back into the soil (or would without modern plumbing, I have no idea where it goes now) and nurtures more life. The idea that it's the destruction of life is only taking one side of the issue, when it has two inseperable sides, like a coin. You don't have heads without having tails. If I slay a deer, or even a corn plant, and leave it to rot, that is just simply destruction (though I would nourish life indirectly by feeding the decomposers...but that's beside the point). But when I kill and eat, I nourish myself.

But I've reread this thread again and understand the threadstarter's point. He doesn't see plant life as being as valuable as animal life, because it isn't conscious in a discernable way that we can understand. Thus he feels it is better to eat plants if he can...and since we in this age do have that choice, it makes sense for him to do that. I see it the opposite, plant life is equally important as animal life (if not, perhaps, more important), as plants are the foundation of the food chain. But then, it's a circle and a web, not linear, so I suppose they are simply equal in value. Still, I see consciousness in all things, animal, plant, and mineral, since I believe all existance is the manifestation of what drumminmama called in her post the Oversoul. In the end, there is only one Life, and eating is a neutral kind of thing. Like the conservation of energy, but more like the conservation of life.

As a note, I am for the most part a vegetarian, though I eat fish and poultry on occasion. The veg is mainly for health reasons, though.

10. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

Absolutly BTM! Thats what fukkin kills me. It seems like mosta these guys got this condesendin attitude twards life in the ways that they take the stance that theyr somekinda sentient being and the plants aint an we autta eat them with prejeduce. -I kinda see it as the oppisit, we autta eat meat based foods if we really wanna even things out so we can let the plant based foods catch up intelectually, Brocolli's got the bases for a rudementry nervous system and that must meen that other vegetables might have the same prospects. If we eat these vegetables with a prejeduce we might deter them from gainin intelect. The meat based foods already have the upper hand in this matter so why dont we even thing up a bit and eat more meat and mabey even some less vegetables in order to let the vegetables alone to develope into smarter foods? :) Peace :)

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Brandon, you might be almost there, but I'm not teaching you the secret handshake (wink)

12. Random Andy

Random Andy Member

rotfpml!
    I know you're probably telling the truth and everything but that just made me laugh:D
    :)*shakes head* So true

13. Zion

Zion Member

Agreed
    Its like an oxi-morron

14. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

So then we're above it all then are we? The food chain and all I meen.

15. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

Oh wait.... but Not if you eat meat! If you eat meat your not above it and superior.

16. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

Basicly your tellin me you think I'm practisin unethical behavior. I just aint buyin it. I think yous are all hipokrits and foneys. Please rethink your foney ethics if your a veggy and ya swat flies or support the fight against aids. From your code of ethics even a virus got a right to live dont it? -------aAAAHhhh ya fukkin hippokritts!

17. I tried reading all the posts and gave up after a few pages. Hope I'm not repeating an already expressed idea...the central nervous system argument, anyone find it incredibly weak? Could we not counter-argue that an animals will to survive is simply an evolutionary adaptation, just as the needles on a cactus serve a similar purpose?

18. lynsey

lynsey Banned

Personally, my beliefs are much different than the beliefs of others. We have the right to be participants in the food chain. I eat fish because fish eat smaller fish, thus I find no moral confliction in eating them myself. I cannot eat beef because cows do not eat other animals and therefor are no in the predatory food chain and in my never to be humble oipinion it is wrong to eat animals that do not eat other animals. Does this make sense?

19. steffan

steffan puffin

is it ethical to cause pain to a fellow creature ? of course not, is it ethical to drive a car? well no actualy it isnt. will i still drive to the store and get a chunk of carcass ? yes. but i do so with out any illusion that there are excuses to ethics, but I cant always fallow them, I just hope to find a balance somewhere

20. steffan

steffan puffin

is it ethical to cause pain to a fellow creature ? of course not, is it ethical to drive a car? well no actualy it isnt. will i still drive to the store and get a chunk of carcass ? yes. but i do so with out any illusion that there are excuses to ethics, but I cant always fallow them, I just hope to find a balance somewhere