Desktop computer won't reboot

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Deleted member 314630, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Can anyone help me with a computer question? I'm no techno guru, but my desktop was working fine when I last used it right before I unplugged it to move it to my new location. After getting settled in I set it up and powered it up and all I get now is a screen that says windows failed to shut down properly. It gives a restart option and a stop windows option to click on but the mouse and keyboard don't make any response. My software is originally windows vista. Can I buy a new version of windows 10 and reload it or is there anything else that may work? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Your computer should start. Try rebooting it, and if that won't work I'd take it to Best Buy - they have the Geek Squad.

Geek Squad technical support is an annual membership. It will conduct tech support on 3 of your devices - phone, laptop, tablet, whatever/etc.

They are worth the $100 or whatever it is they're charging for it. They should be able to tell you whether or not your PC can run Windows 10.

wooleeheron and Witoutit like this.
  3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Try holding the On button and counting to 10. Let go and try re-starting. If it reads that the hard-drive needs be checked for errors click yes. If you want to reset to factory bios setting, remove the coin battery and hold the On button for 10 seconds. Refit the coin battery and try restarting.

Witoutit likes this.
  4. Thanks for your input

5. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

I hope that as helped, but always remember to power your computer down properly.
    NEVER just switch it off from the power plug.
    Aso.
    Read this:

What to Do When Your Computer Won't Start

Witoutit likes this.
  6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Consumer desktops are designed to last at least three to five years, and yours is so old that the operating system is a dinosaur and the power supply is garbage. Sniff the back and see if it smells like burnt insulation and dust.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

3-5 years?

The desktop I'm on right now is over 10 years old and has been through a house fire... Still works great.

MeAgain and Witoutit like this.
  8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I hope she continues to work good for ya Tyrson :)

unknown - I hope you can figure out whats going on and get her happy again soon :)

Good luck!!!

~Zen~ and Witoutit like this.
  9. Mine is a custom built from components , because I didn't want a cookie cutter off the shelf computer. Yeah it's between 8 and 10 years old but it was working fine before I shut it off to disassemble it for the move.

10. Thanks. I'll try a few more things and if I can't get it revived I'll give it a proper burial.

11. wooleeheron

Electronics come in two categories for the most part, the stuff the guys in the basement threw together, and the stuff the guys upstairs put more thought into, but even the guys in the basement sometimes hit pay dirt and create a computer that will last for ten years. Its not like they aren't trying to make it last for just five years, because they install the cheapest parts they can buy, which are made the same way.

Think of your computer as a crystal vibrating inside a microwave, and you get some idea. Every three years everything changes, and the guys in the basement go crazy.

~Zen~ likes this.
  12. Bilby

Have you tried making a boot up memory stick on another computer?

13. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Bad idea, if you did this without properly powering down the system first. Windows, and Vista in particular, is notorious for shitting itself, if you just turn it off using anything other than the Menu -> Shut down option.

Try starting the machine in the Safe mode. If you don't get the menu to enter this during boot up, press the F8 button on your keyboard early while your system begins the boot up process. Like so:

In the safe mode, if you have control of the system, you should run a file system check first thing to see if your file system has been damaged by the improper shutdown. It'll take a while to do it, just wait patiently. And you are probably expected to reboot the machine again for this, just do it. Let the file system check fix all errors automatically. If this, however, is impossible because the damage is too extensive, you can still use the safe mode to rescue your important files by copying them to a USB stick. You could also try restoring the system to a previous state via System restore, but if your previous restore point is terribly old, that might not help much.

From the symptoms, this does sound like a corrupted database, or file system damage. While operational, the Windows operating system frequently updates its files, and it is of upmost importance that this process is not interrupted/disturbed in any way. Or else...

Witoutit and Bilby like this.
  14. No I haven't.

15. Thanks.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Get an Apple.

17. Thinking about just getting a new laptop.

18. Bilby

Before buying a laptop, see if there is a YouTube video on changing the hard drive. If it is less than straight forward, look for another one.

19. wooleeheron

The first thing they teach in electronics, is to make sure it plugged in, then check the power reset button on the power supply.

20. I've changed out the power supply with a new one I had on hand but no results. I will try the suggestions you've given me. Thanks for everyone's input.

wooleeheron likes this.