Derren Brown Seance - Some Unanswered Questions

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by lilfunkychicken, Jun 1, 2004.

1. lilfunkychicken

lilfunkychicken Member

Hey all, like a lot of you, watched last nights programme, and was left with a few unanswered questions:

1. Was it live?

2. Was there a real 'suicide pact' or was this just made up by Brown?

3. If it was a hoax, how did the girl who spoke 'Jane's' voice know details about her, such as her cats name etc. all this information was in the envelope, so did she read it or was she as unaware as the rest of us?

4. How did the trophy etc fall over?

Any answers would be gratefully appreciated!!Many thanx

Nat xxx

2. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

1. Was it live?

No, but looks to have been recorded "as live".

2. Was there a real 'suicide pact' or was this just made up by Brown?

The photos, people and their stories were all fiction. I should imagine the whole story was made up.

3. If it was a hoax, how did the girl who spoke 'Jane's' voice know details about her, such as her cats name etc. all this information was in the envelope, so did she read it or was she as unaware as the rest of us?

She'd probably been coached or given the information earlier using neurolinguistic programming and subliminal techniques, if she wasn't herself complicit in the fake. There were some very obvious bullet points in the letter, 3 or four facts which must have been made available to her beforehand in some way.

4. How did the trophy etc fall over?

Someone knocked it over with a big stick, silly!

3. JOsie

JOsie Member

he did say at the beginning he was trying to expose some of the ways that victorian seances were faked...when he did that spirit cabinet thing...and when he read that girls mind and knew she was thinking about her grandma...he was saying theres a trick to most of it...

thats how i chose to look at the whole program after it had finished...i felt a bit cheated when he went and got jane...but then i realised...he wasn't doiung it as a real seance...he was doing it to show how people could fake them in the victorian era...

4. blackcatsxx

blackcatsxx Member

i didn't get it with the man in the spirit cabnit, when the curtain moved and he said he couldn't of managed to do that cause he was tied down, wat about his feet! surely he coulda kicked it. the man did genuinly looked freaked out though when he came out, they never showed him from above he just quickly said it was time for a break and made him self look a bit nervous. It kinda drew people in because it was advertised as live and the way he looked it was like it had gone a bit further than he thought it would

5. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

"She'd probably been coached or given the information earlier using neurolinguistic programming and subliminal techniques..."

Probably most of what the people were doing was down to this. Just Brown putting his own mind to work on them. But the trophy going over and the 'seance ball' floating around can't be explained by all that. That was very odd.

Did anyone see on Derren's regular show where he made his victim think Brown was invisable? He made stuff move, as far as the guest was concerned, all by itself on that occasion. Maybe it was that kinda trickery as I didn't actually see him when that was going on.

6. Natz

Natz Member

I noticed when they did that "behind curtain" thing, they were filming it from above and they showed the girl pushing the tambourine etc. Well, when the dude did it and the paper went everywhere i noticed how they didn't show the footage of that....

7. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

the whole suicide pact thing got me, i dont see why.

the man in the spirit cabinet.

the fact that the jane girl came on at the end.

like this was the most stupidest program ever. how did it work if the person was alive?

ok, so it was fake, but it was mean that they didnt show us what the man in the spirit cabinet showed and they never asked the sally girl what happened in the room, and no one seemed so freaked out that they asked to leave or for it to stop yet they screamed and sally was fine by the end and no one seemed to get worked up about anything, it was like they had acted the whole thing. im sure someone would have asked to leave at some point, or to wait until they were composed. but it just kept going...

he did say he planted the photo about jane so people would be drawn to it becuase of where he put it and the instruction he made.

the only thing i really cant figure out is if it was real how did holly know all that stuff about jane when they werre in the dark with all the bells and balls and cup. the only thing i can say is if it were real spirits must shed like skin.

but as ive got an over all feeling its fake then it doesnt matter.

im not liking this thing, waste of time. stupid. if it is real, that was not the way to prove it was.

8. JOsie

JOsie Member

he wasn't trying to prove or disprove the existence of ghosts or spirits or anything...he said at the beginning...he was just showing how it could have been faked by tricksters through the ages...he was just trying to make people more wary of how it could easily be falsified

9. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

so really there ws no point in the whole thing.

meh

10. Valis_77

Valis_77 Member

The stuff about how the girl knew the info is the clever bit. That's the trick. And you're not supposed to know how it's done. The fact that you have all those questions proves that it worked.

Like someone else said it was probably mostly neurolinguistic programming and subliminal hypnotic stuff.

It's clever stuff. I'd rather watch Derren Brown do this kind of thing than some poncey America making the statue of liberty dissappear any day.