Derek Chauvin trial begins today

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by newo, Mar 8, 2021.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

There are cases when lethal force is more than justified and others that are not so. Not following instructions and looking like you are reaching for a gun, that is justified IMO. That is why every case needs to be analyzed thoroughly and LOGICALLY. I believe George Floyd was killed unjustly, he was murdered by the actions of D. Chauvin. The problem I have with the media and BLM is the sensationalism and the jumping to conclusions that this was a racist hate crime. And stop with the "I can't breathe" quotes, that is stupid nonsense. If you can say "I can't breathe"... YOU CAN FUCKING BREATHE! Just about every time a cop has to tackle someone combative, they say "I can't breathe", I've heard it countless times on live police shows. That are not on anymore because everyone hates cops now... no, where D. Chauv went wrong was not stopping and checking when George stopped speaking. That is the bad thing we know he did.

2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Morries Lester Hall, who was in the car with George Floyd when police approached him for allegedly using a fake $20 bill at Cup Foods in Minneapolis, has stated that if called to testify he will invoke his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.

This not only takes away a key witness, but casts further doubt on Floyd's activities when he was killed. Derek Chauvin trial: Key witness to invoke the 5th Amendment, refuses to testify | Fox News

WomenPower likes this.
  3. newo

One cop testifies saying Chauvin should have lifted his knee much sooner, another says it was totally unnecessary. Even the cops aren't backing him up.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  4. newo

[​IMG]

Minneapolis police chief Medaria Arradondo is expected to take the stand as soon as today, as testimony in the Derek Chauvin trial continues for a second week. Keep an eye on this, his testimony should be especially damning.

hotwater likes this.
  5. newo

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I've been watching this trial on and off, and it seems like the prosecution is doing (overall) a good job, but today...Idk. Messed up a bit with a few of their witnesses, and the defense seemed to chip away, possibly casting reasonable doubt regarding murder. I think 3rd degree murder or manslaughter will likely be the verdict, it just better not be an acquittal!

7. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Well, those were pretty much, Floyd's last words before he died, so I think it's reasonable for that ''quote'' to resonate.

8. newo

I figure Chauvin must be given at least 10 years or there will be riots!

9. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Well, just following the facts of the case now that they’re coming to light, he’s guilty at the least of manslaughter. I’m on the fence with third degree murder. It will be interesting to see the witnesses the defense calls when it’s their turn.

10. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Errrmmm - Isn't 3rd degree 'murder' the same as 'Manslaughter' and don't they bboth carry the same penulty ???

11. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

There will be riots regardless of the outcome, soon after the verdict is made public, the city’s will be burning

AE7E4DFB-B873-4DE2-B05F-F3877CFF25FA.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  12. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Yes, and if he had not tried to pass that counterfeit bill, the whole thing wouldn't have happened, and if he had never gotten hooked on drugs, he might have gone onto a more productive career. But we ordinarily don't execute people for such failings, and if we execute people at all, we usually give them a trial first, like the one Derek Chauvin is getting. Since you weren't there and don't know all the facts, you may not know WHY Mr. Floyd wasn't following their instructions. Would it matter to you whether or not he was CAPABLE of following them. When the officers first approached his car they drew their weapons, and Mr. Floyd was obviously shaken. He also seemed confused, but at no point did he seem aggressive or to be actively (as opposed to passively) resisting. From the testimony of the clerk at the store and from what Dereck Chauvin said on the body cam tape, he seemed to be "on something". He was also expressing anxiety about getting into the back of the police vehicle because of alleged claustrophobia. But all of the police witnesses indicated that the amount of force Chauvin exercised under the circumstances was unnecessary and excessive, and he, not Floyd, is the one on trial. George Floyd has already been punished as much as he could be on this earth.

The defense's case seems to be threefold: 1. presence of an unruly mob; 2. reasonable application of the chokehold by knee under all the circumstances; and 3. drugs instead of knee on neck as the proximate cause of death. The video cam footage and testimony by members of the mob suggests they weren't so dangerous and seemed to be mainly concerned, stressed out citizens. Testimony by the police officials and excerpts suggest the knee on neck for 9.5 minutes was unjustified and way excessive. Which leaves causation; convincing the jury that Mr. Floyd would have died anyway at that time from his drug use if the police had never shown up. I find that hard to believe, but if they can get just one juror to believe it, Chauvin will be off the hook and all hell will break loose!

13. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

And who will be rioting if Chauvin is convicted of second degree murder? The Proud Boys and Oath Keepers?

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  14. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

In a sense he already has, on a bodycam video recording. He mentioned Floyd's size and that he seemed to be on something, which from the context and tone of voice seemed to be enough for him--but not for his police superiors. Apparently, it's police policy under such circumstances not to continue such extreme measures if there appears to be no resistance, and to check vitals and turn the guy over from time to time. You can hear one of the officers, one junior to Chauvin, ask Chauvin "Should we roll him over?" Apparently Chauvin said "No". We also heard Chauvin's supervising sergeant, the lieutenant with the highest seniority on the force, and the Chief of Police himself, say this use of force was absolutely unreasonable.

But it only takes one juror. Today we heard expert testimony on the reasonable use of force. One juror was asleep! That could be the one!

15. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Everyone with a mind to destroy - steal , something

16. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Lock em,' up!
    Including these!

[​IMG]

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  17. newo

If Chauvin is convicted there will be some celebrating and dancing in the streets, and some assholes could take advantage of it and go looting, but nothing on the scale of what would happen if he's acquitted. That would set off an explosion which would dwarf the LA riots of '92.

Tishomingo likes this.
  18. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I think what they're trying to communicate is that they're finding breathing difficult--useful information for an officer who is kneeling on the suspect's neck. I might say the same thing if I were in Floyd's position, even though on reflection, I'd realize I must have been breathing at the time in order to talk at all.

19. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

To the best of my knowledge, third degree murder suggests depravity as to someone’s state of mind. In this case, it would mean that Chauvin didn’t care if Floyd died, but it wasn’t his intent to kill him. Manslaughter is about negligence.

20. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Being from Portland I’m sure you have seen enough of the troubles, stay safe my friend