Derek Chauvin trial begins today

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by newo, Mar 8, 2021.

1. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You please drop it.

2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

hotwater likes this.
  3. newo

All the jurors have been selected and the opening statements begin next week.

hotwater likes this.
  4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. newo

The opening statements have been made.

Prosecutor Jerry Blackwell said that Chauvin caused Floyd’s death and acted well outside the bounds of his job when he refused to “let up” and “get up” for more than nine minutes. “Derek Chauvin betrayed his badge when he used excessive and unreasonable force upon the body of Mr. George Floyd,” Blackwell told the jury.

Defense Attorney Eric Nelson, who aimed to separate the case from Floyd’s status as an activist symbol while introducing the concept of a reasonable doubt to the jurors, countered, “There is no political or social cause in this courtroom,” Nelson said. “The evidence is far greater than nine minutes and 29 seconds,” he said, before arguing that Chauvin’s conduct with Floyd constituted “exactly what he had been trained to do over the course of his 19-year career.”

The trial is expected to last 2-4 weeks.

6. newo

No response. Okay, let me say, I believe Derek Chauvin did betray his badge, and I don't believe he was trained to keep his knee on someone's neck after after the suspect says repeatedly, "I can't breathe!"

7. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If the jury find him guilty, and the evidence we have heard on television is fairly conclusive he is, I don't want the death penalty given to him, I want him to rot in jail for the rest of his life without any hope of parole !!!

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

There is certainly a racist matter here.

Because if George Floyd was a white guy, it would have just been another Bad cop killed a bad guy. It would have barely made news, if at all. It CERTAINLY would not have made them household names. There CERTAINLY would not have been any protests or riots or martyrdom paintings. I have seen a least three videos where cops have used unnecessary force to kill white men and I couldn't telly you any of their names.

So yeah, CERTAINLY some kind on racist double standard hypocrisy going on here from some people.

9. lion1978

lion1978 The King

I don't really get the whole manslaughter charge, the second degree murder charge I understand, and I would even be able to understand a charge of first degree murder though the definition of what is premeditated would certainly be up for debate, my point is that if you are a police ofeicer your training as such would most certainly let you know that a move such as kneeling on a persons neck/strangulation for 9 minutes is lethal, I'd argue that anyone even without lawenforcement training or knowledge of human anatomy would probably know that it could potentially be deadly, that is why I don't get the manslaughter charge and would argue for a first degree murder, especially as the victim states several times that he can not breathe.
    Now I know and understand that a counter argument would be that if he can say that he can't breathe, then he clearly can breathe, but in that case I'd say it's fair to asume that the victim is indicating he is having problems breathing.

I just saw the video of the arest again last night, and it was said that George Floyd was resisting arest by not complying with the police and getting in the car, snd I honestly understand why he didn't get in, cause one of the officers trying to get him in the car was actually blocking(incoulontarily I asume) any chance of any person except maybe a child to get into the car, it would have been easy for the oficers to get him in to the car if one oficer had gone around the car opend the other door and hauled him form that side while the other oficer on the other side had pushed, I'm beging to suspect that maybe teir training is really really bad.

On the same news segment where I saw the video again they also said that the defence was going to claim that it was a combination of high blood pressure, weak heart and drug use/abuse that killed George Floyd, and I couldn't help but to think I sure hope Chauvin isn't paying that defense very well, cause that is a really weak defence, it has raely if ever helped anyone with weak heart and high blood pressure to have someone kneeling on their neck for 9 minutes.

Biden'sVagina likes this.
  10. Vladimir Illich

So what's your excuse for the large number of ethnic minority people killed by the Police whilst in custody - hmmm ???

11. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

You mean like why are they 3 times as likely to be killed by police? Surely has nothing to do with being 4 times as likely to be involved in crime. They glorify their thugs and violence and only get into an uproar when one of their thugs is killed by a white cop. So keep ignoring the causes of 95% of black homicides and fixate on the tiny fraction of a percent who are killed by police because that's obviously to root of all their problems.

[​IMG]

PRIORITIES

12. Vladimir Illich

So, basically you're saying you have no viable excuse for the large number of ethnic minorities MURDERED by the Police whilst in their custody !!!

13. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

No, I'm saying your full of shit.

14. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

The media is fueling the fire. What would the verdict be to prevent riots? He is guilty, unless his lawyers claim that's not him in the video.

15. WomenPower

WomenPower Members

B
    Before everyone makes their judgment... try living the life of a police officer. My husband was a police officer and believe me they don’t have an easy job. I am not going to relate any of the things he went through because it wouldn’t change anyone’s mind. But I will say if you don’t want a confrontation with an officer just do what they ask of you. Stop.... show your hands... etc. I guarantee you they want everyone including themselves to go home at the end of the day safe.

16. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I am making no judgement. If I was an officer, I would want to see a bad cop arrested, and not give others a bad name.

17. newo

You forgot to say, "I'm not defending what Derek Chauvin did, but...". Or are you?

Tishomingo and WomenPower like this.
  18. WomenPower

WomenPower Members

I’m not making any judgment... I wasn’t there... I don’t know ALL the facts.. I AM saying that if Mr Floyd followed their instructions he would not have died.

19. newo

I wasn't there either, but I saw the video and I'm sure you did too. If Derek Chauvin had lifted his knee George Floyd would not have died.

Tishomingo and Tyrsonswood like this.
  20. Biden'sVagina

Biden'sVagina Members

so not following instructions is an excuse for death. as someone mentioned before, he was unable to get in the car. he was falsely accused of fraud, and without question, with floyd doing nothing provoking, chauvin kneels on his neck for 9 minutes. 9 minutes. for doung nothing wrong, floyd is murdered brutally, despite saying he is unable to breathe. yet u blame his death on him.