Derek Chauvin trial begins today

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by newo, Mar 8, 2021.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Jury selection is set to begin Monday in the trial of Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer accused of killing George Floyd, however a new court ruling threatens to delay the start of the trial. Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill is likely to face motions to reinstate a third-degree murder charge and possibly postpone jury selection to give lawyers time to prepare for the new charge.

Chauvin still faces charges of second-degree murder and manslaughter in Floyd's death last May. I don't know if this will be a long drawn-out trial or if it will be wrapped up quickly, but the whole world is watching!

[​IMG]

2. newo

The jury selection is postponed until tomorrow, possibly longer, there's still a debate over the 3rd-degree murder charges. So we're off to a slow start.

[​IMG]

3. newo

Yeah it was all captured on video. History is also against him, if he gets acquitted the reaction would dwarf the LA riots of 1992!

SaraSara likes this.
  4. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Without a doubt.
    He'll be acquitted.

Angelmama likes this.
  5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I see 3 possibilities, third degree murder conviction, manslaughter conviction, or a hung jury,

There’s no way a jury of 12 in this atmosphere of divisiveness will convict him of second degree murder, unless the prosecutor can stack the jury.

Angelmama and sherman march like this.
  6. newo

He may get off the 2nd degree murder charge but likely be convicted of manslaughter, which would be less than satisfying to many people but will keep them pacified.

7. newo

I found this in an online article:

There are six crucial pieces of information — six facts — that have been largely omitted from discussion on the Chauvin’s conduct. Taken together, they likely exonerate the officer of a murder charge.

1. George Floyd was experiencing cardiopulmonary and psychological distress minutes before he was placed on the ground, let alone had a knee to his neck.

2. The Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) allows the use of neck restraint on suspects who actively resist arrest, and George Floyd actively resisted arrest on two occasions, including immediately prior to neck restraint being used.

3. The officers were recorded on their body cams assessing George Floyd as suffering from “excited delirium syndrome” (ExDS), a condition which the MPD considers an extreme threat to both the officers and the suspect. A white paper used by the MPD acknowledges that ExDS suspects may die irrespective of force involved. The officers’ response to this situation was in line with MPD guidelines for ExDS.

4. Restraining the suspect on his or her abdomen (prone restraint) is a common tactic in ExDS situations, and the white paper used by the MPD instructs the officers to control the suspect until paramedics arrive.

5. Floyd’s autopsy revealed a potentially lethal concoction of drugs — not just a potentially lethal dose of fentanyl, but also methamphetamine. Together with his history of drug abuse and two serious heart conditions, Floyd’s condition was exceptionally and unusually fragile.

6. Chauvin’s neck restraint is unlikely to have exerted a dangerous amount of force to Floyd’s neck. Floyd is shown on video able to lift his head and neck, and a robust study on double-knee restraints showed a median force exertion of approximately approximately 105lbs.

8. newo

hotwater likes this.
  9. hotwater

Potential Juror Number # 8 "I don't believe we should second guess the actions of police officers"

Prosecution: "Judge I wish to use one of my strikes"

Judge: "The potential juror is dismissed"

10. hotwater

1) On a positive note he's the most hated man in America today with the exception of that POS at Mar-a-Lago.
    2) He was fired from his job as a police officer and will never put on the uniform again
    3) His wife divorced him and she received the majority of their assets.
    4) Their two homes were seriously vandalized and lost much of their value.
    5) If cleared he still has to face nine counts of aiding and abetting the filing of false or fraudulent tax returns, in which he could spend years behind bars.

"Justice Finds a Way"

11. newo

The judge has reinstated the third-degree murder charge, six jurors have been picked, and Minneapolis is awarding George Floyd's family $27 million to settle a wrongful death lawsuit.

12. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That's nuts.

It's crazy to think he'd have to be convicted just to avoid destructive rioting. Look how far we've come. They call for justice but they really want a scapegoat to draw away from his long list of criminal behaviour which brought on his own demise. Is that really the world we want to live in???

And yet police brutality and lying is in our system. I've seen it. It's real. They hide it well and are all in cahoots. The whole justice system. We definitely need some reform. Transparency. Body cams should be mandatory for all interactions and available to all parties involved. Citizens need to continue to police the police and the prosecutors. They're trying to keep everything hush hush "don't talk about pending litigation" but that needs to change. The system just isn't as impartial as they'd have you believe. Prosecutors are hard-wired to achieve convictions, justice is not their goal. The system is wrought with corruption. Not necessarily payoff type but incentive-wise. More money for more cases, more convictions, more prisoners, etc. Things need to change!

Just don't add another prisoner to the system who was just trying to do his job of protecting the public. That doesn't fix anything, it just makes it worse.

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

The important thing to realize is there's a right and a wrong way to implement force. There's no excuse for what was done in the case of George Floyd. The lawyers will make excuses, but he is dead. They knelt on his neck for some nine minutes or some inordinate amount of time. It's inexcusable!

All the police on this or that force want to try and believe that it's ok because they're taught to use force in cases where someone is a violent threat and that with Floyd's history it follows that if aggravated he would strike! But did he strike? Did he not have a chance to strike because of Chauvin's stalwart tactical maneuvering? I feel like it's a flawed question. I don't care who or how many you have to re-educate, that type of policing is never ok.

To admit that will not be easy for some, near impossible for many, and uncomfortable for all. But let Chauvin serve as an example. You may not kill us because of your habit or belief or for any reason other than that the person is hostile and intends to hurt maim or kill you or some civilian.

14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Um, ok. That's good enough. I would say yes.

15. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Yes, the video looked horrifying and I would have personally strangled that cop for being so cruel. But I learned that was a big lie. Nobody dies by a knee to the neck restraint like that. He "couldn't breathe" long before they restrained him, because of the drugs. He executed himself with a lethal injection and became a violent threat which needed to be neutralized.

I would take a double lethal concoction of fentanyl and other drugs and let some cop restrain me so that it looks like they killed me if it would result in my family getting a big-ass settlement like that! I guarantee others will try!

It's another example of stupid leftist thinking that they're helping make things better when they're incentivising bad behavior.

WomenPower likes this.
  16. newo

"The way a Minneapolis police officer restrained George Floyd before he died — placing his knee on Floyd's neck while the man lay on his stomach — is widely discredited by law enforcement experts because it can cause suffocation.

But the technique is allowed in Minneapolis." George Floyd death: Neck restraint allowed in Minneapolis can kill

Obviously George Floyd was breathing just fine before he was restrained. Whether the drugs had anything to do with it is moot, because he told Chauvin, "I can't breathe!" And yet Chauvin didn't let up, and became liable.

TATT, I don't expect to get through to you because your mind is obviously made up, but what part of "I can't breathe" don't you understand?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Tyrsonswood likes this.
  17. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

It's a stupid technique that should never be allowed. The experts know and have demonstrated that done properly it doesn't suffocate. But it must feel like torture to the recipient. And the optics are horrible!

The cops didn't kill the criminal. The drugs did. But cops have been getting more and more hardened over the years. Perhaps due to the criminals taking advantage of them and treating them like pigs, but somehow they went from Andy Griffith style helpers to enemy combat troops over the last several decades. It's like both sides fail to see the other as fellow humans. I know that's an exaggeration, but you can't deny the proximity. It's become an "us versus them" scenario. Pretty disgusting, in my opinion. I would love to see a lot more humility and compassion in this world. But we're being led in the opposite direction by sensationalist (fake and divisive) mainstream news along with divisive political strategies. It's also getting worse with people being offered a life they don't have to work to achieve. No sense of accomplishment and self-worth. Sad.

Someone back in the days of the founding predicted that once people figure out they can vote themselves money, it will be the beginning of the end of the repúblic. That's happened, and now it's just a matter of time.

18. newo

The drugs may have been a factor, but bottom line, Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd. He said, "I can't breathe!" but Chauvin didn't let up.

As for cops being Andy Griffith style helpers, police brutality is nothing new. Ask anyone who lived through the 60s, or for that matter the 50s, 40s, 30s, etc.

stormountainman and hotwater like this.
  19. sherman march

sherman march Members

I suspect that if Floyd's family had to choose between taking the $27 million and letting the cop go free or not taking the money and sending the cop to prison for the rest of his life, they would go for the money (on the advice of their lawyer) and forget about the cop going to prison. His life is ruined anyway whether he goes to prison or not. All the Floyd relatives are most likely already thinking about which new car and house they will buy once they get the money. That's how life works.

20. leeds85

leeds85 Member

We should know by now how these trials play out. The white office armed with a gun will tell the courtroom that he was afraid of the black man on the floor underneath his knee and will be found not guilty.

21. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Why are we now conditioned to make everything racist?

This is an example of despicable race baiting.

WomenPower likes this.