Depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Chinese Troubadour, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Chinese Troubadour

Chinese Troubadour Member

Last year when i got into trouble at school the psychologist suspected that i had depression. however my parents declined the proposed psychological test. What is the definition for "depression" exactly? even now i dont know if i really have depression.

2. busmama

busmama go away

according to the medical college of Wisconsin:

The following are warning signs of depression and should be taken seriously if one regularly experiences them:

Depressed mood

Loss of appetite for food

Difficulty sleeping or sleeping much more than usual

A sense of helplessness and hopelessness

Thoughts about suicide

Loss of interest in the activities of daily living (work, play, time with family and friends)

Unusual irritability

Feelings of worthlessness or inappropriate guilt

Diminished ability to think or concentrate
    If you are experiencing up to five of these symptoms for more than two weeks, this may represent a serious depressive episode. If so, see your doctor as soon as possible. Treatment may include counseling, medication, and in severe cases hospitalization.

St. John’s Wort has been historically used as a mood elevator and some research has demonstrated a positive effect on the brain chemistry of depression. In some limited studies benefits were shown like reducing anxiety and feelings of worthlessness, as well as improvements in quality of sleep.

I would discourage anyone reading this from self-diagnosis and consequently running down to the health food store to arrange treatment. A depressive illness can be serious, necessitating evaluation by an objective professional.

Hope this helps!

Dude111 likes this.
  3. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

Dude111 likes this.
  4. hallowedbethyname

hallowedbethyname Member

I think that it is actually easiest if you figure out for yourself if you actually are depressed, instead of some jackass telling you that you are because you got into trouble at school. Just ask yourself questions about what you are doing with your life, and compare them with the so-called symptoms of depression. A lot of people are diagnosed with depression that aren't really at all. Myself, I've been on and off meds ever since I was in the 5th grade. Just check out the links and see for yourself.

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Thank you..... That site helps me alot........ I think I am majorly depressed since my father first started having problems in March/April.....