Depressed boyfriend

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Geneity, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

So yeah, the title says it all. My BF has been depressed lately. He says 'not the suicidal, I want to die kind of depressed, but the no motivation to do anything kind of depressed'. This happens to me sometimes, but he says it's because he feels like a slacker in life. He's trying to get a job, but it's going slowly.

Me and him have been incredibly close since we started going out and have been friends for years. I feel lost without being able to cuddle up with him or talk to him about things. He just seems so uninterested in the world. He just comes home after school and either sleeps or watches TV. There's nothing I can really do to get him to pay full attention to me. I try and be all over him or hug him and whatnot, but it never lasts long. I can't help but feel he's lost interest, but coming from his perspective I know what it feels like and how I act towards others, even close people, when I'm depressed.

I'm not sure there's anything I can do, but if anyone has suggestions or kind words, feel free to post [​IMG]

2. broony

broony Banned

Tell him to smoke a nice blunt with some good bud in it. Go up in the woods and go fly fishing. Works everytime.

3. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

I think being all over him will make it worse. I've been there. I suffer from clinical depression. Medicated and all...

Give him his space and focus on other aspects of your life if you want to see him through this (I understand it's not easy). Now, it may also help to make sure he knows you're available and maybe suggest certain things. Or ask questions...

On an intellectual level...if he reacts badly, remember, there is no way to beat people out of depression. He's gonna have to do it, unfortunately.

Sorry, to hear sweetie. I feel for you, because I've been in your bf's position many times. I literally tortured a couple of women with my depression. But after a long spell, I think I'm finally able to live with it much better.

Like Galiani says, it's not a matter of curing your ailments, but of learning to live with them.

4. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

Sounds good. I know how depression works in me, but I guess you're right. He also said last night that he may feel better when we get out of school. We're both seniors in high school. I know I'll feel a lot better.

5. rasprophecy

rasprophecy Member

twist him a blunt... Then fuck him... Thats what my lady does. works everytime.

6. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

I don't think smoking a blunt would help very much. not good to escape like that every time you have a problem.

7. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

Well.. I don't really consider it an escape. It's more like medication for the mind. Who says he'd be doing it for every time he has a problem? Why can't he just enjoy a few hours of being chill once in a while?

8. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

Give him some space and maybe get him some meds.
    Show that you're there for him without being all over him.

9. mlee27

mlee27 Member

all everyone ever wants to do when there are problems is medicate, medicate, medicate!! smoke weed? for most people that suffer from depression weed is the last thing they need, why not try some good old fashioned counseling and try getting to the root of the problem without gettin meds. you know hundreds of years ago we didn't have all these meds to try to cure what ails us. nowadays there's a drug for every little problem and the drugs they prescribe are eventually causing other problems , like addiction, and mental side affects. he's still very young he sounds like he needs some communication in his life maybe he just stressed out because shortly he will have to face out of school reality maybe he nervous of whats to come.

10. mlee27

mlee27 Member

yeah, thats a very healthy and intelligent way to advise two young people who generally have some concerns about depression. good job.

11. rasprophecy

rasprophecy Member

stfu

12. Crystalsatreehugger

Crystalsatreehugger Member

I get depressed sometimes and I just have to deal with it. It takes time and when my boyfriends waits it out with me instead of getting on my back about how I'm acting, it makes me feel better. I've been depressed since I got out of school and he's been working so much (I can't get a job yet b/c we're about to take a 2 week vacation). But I will come out of it. Be patient with him, let him know if he WANTS to talk or whatever you're their for him, and do not give him a hard time about the way he's feeling. If he's like me he might not feel he can help it.