Department of education

Discussion in 'New York' started by Mamluke13, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

How come schools are so reluctant to stop acts of bullying or teacher unprofessionalism. I spoke to oeo about a teachers rude behavior and they said if it is not about race,sex, disability they can't do nothing about it. So the only time teachers get in trouble for bad behavior if its under those categories it makes no sense

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Rude behavior is relative.

In PA public teachers are subject to non-criminal discipline for immorality, incompetency, intemperance, cruelty, negligence or the illegal use of a professional title or forgery or alteration of a teaching certificate.

Criminal charges can be brought under moral turpitude for:
    Examples include:
    Additionally all teachers must present evidence (at their own cost) of state and federal criminal records before being hired (federal and state background checks). They will be denied employment if found to have ever
    See 1949 Act 14

Additionally local school districts can impose their own rules about educator misconduct.

3. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

Yeah but when I made a complaint they never got after the teacher for what he did at least they never told me about it loose they just ignored me the whole time.

4. MeAgain

Which tells you it wasn't anything that warranted any type of action against the teacher.

In other words the teacher didn't do anything wrong other than offend you which as a former teacher for over 34 years is something I manged to do quite a lot.
    More and more as I reached the end of my career as the students got more spoiled and disrespectful to the teachers.

5. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

So your saying if a teacher singles someone out in front of a whole class. Letting students know its okay to berate u in front of everyone. That teacher should not get in trouble. U should never single someone out. Especially oin front of a whole class. And just ignoring the issue is horrible

6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Get a lawyer...that changes everything.

Mamluke13 likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Sounds like someone didn' get their participation award certificate.

Mamluke13 likes this.
  8. MeAgain

I'm saying there are times when students need to be singled out in class.

9. Kerri

Kerri Members

I don’t think the school is under any obligation to inform you of any internal discipline v the teacher. If there was discipline it’s between the administration and the teacher and not you

10. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

Like what reason should someone get singled out for. That's unprofessional. Students should be token to the side and spoke to not embarrassed

11. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

Well then how can I be se if the settled the issue then

12. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

and needs their safe space.

13. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Stuff like this happens in the real world all the time. Unfortunately its a fact of life, not a pleasant one. Take the criticism, fix what caused it, and move on.

14. Kerri

Kerri Members

You have no right to see if it’s settled. It’s not a criminal case

15. MeAgain

There are about 6,256 reasons.

Talking out of turn, not doing their work, distracting others, improper physical behavior, improper attire, not doing class work, daydreaming, inappropriate laughter, being late to class, leaving class early, cheating, poor motivation, disrespect of others, swearing, teasing and bullying, being rude, etc.

Some conduct requires the teacher to use an immediate and public response, some doesn't.

16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I taught for 2 years in my younger days and it left me feeling drained every night.
    Teachers have a responsibility to their students and these include ensuring that the students first day t work is not his last. With 30 different students 4 times a day, it is almost impossible not to have a few who will disrupt every class.
    Teaching at the speed of the fastest will leave half the class behind, while slowing down will leave the brighter students bored and disruptive.
    Social problems range from bright students being bullied, to the girl who wants to be the class bike.
    Head teachers have to group students who can work together, but it is never easy and involving parents at every step of the way could never be made to work.

17. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

But if the student is not a trouble maker. Or a bully and did not break any known rules then what does that student deserve to be singled out out of the blue with liittke or no warning

18. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

I understand that I'm saying if the student did something that he had no warning about. Or no known rules that he did not break then does he deserved to be singled out

19. MeAgain

I taught for over 34 years and I agree, it is highly stressful:
    Too much adrenaline due to stress is probably the major factor in your drained feeling.
    When I taught I could work construction 10 hours a day in the summers and never be tired, but 8 hours at school wore me out.

wilsjane likes this.
  20. deleted

deleted Visitor

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?.. You! Yes, you behind the bike shed! Stand still laddie!