Dennis DeYoung from Styx

Discussion in 'Music' started by Moonglow181, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

OM bloody god! I just got back from his concert and he is the best showman I ever saw...and at 70 years old...he makes 70 look good...OMG! He can move, sing, play that electric keyboard like nobody's business. His wife was up there with him as back up....and i thought who is that someone not even 40 yet from where i sat...and it turns out to be his wife.....and they have been married for 47 years and you can tell they still love each other's company very much......

His band rocked, too....and he sounded as good as ever.......and he sang for two hours straight all of his hits from Styx and Desert Moon......
    he also did some comedy.....a real comedian...with more energy than some people in their 20's.

I was blown away...one of the top 3 concerts i have ever seen.......along with Foreignor and Lou Christie...hard call. There have been so many great concerts and for him to move up top....tells you something......

i am going to play some of the songs of his next.

We sat next to a couple....a lady married to a guy 22 years younger than her, and they said they saw Styx without Dennis in Bethel Woods. I asked them what was better at the end of tonight...this or that...they said by far this was better. Go Dennis! I love him. he really connects with people, too.

Link about Dennis...

Dennis DeYoung - Wikipedia

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    tumbling.dice and NoxiousGas like this.
  2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

glad you enjoyed yourself

3. Moonglow181

4. Moonglow181

5. Moonglow181

6. Moonglow181

She was back there the entire time tonight singing and dancing to every song, and came down to dance with Dennis. So cute.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  7. Moonglow181

Stan's favorite song of the night, he said...although he was crying to Babe, as he said he was thinking about Sullivan, the dog. He never cried at a concert before....he really liked Dennis, too....This was his favorite song of the night....I cannot pick a favorite. i love all of the songs I am posting....add your favorite Styx song, too, if you would like. I don't care if it is a repeat.........Come Sail Away was their finale tonight...and that was awesome, too..i always loved that song, too...but this is the last song I am posting tonight.
    Maybe more tomorrow. I liked everything tonight....Awesome show!

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i like styx

went to see them a few years ago in toronto and was dissappointed that deyoung wasnt part of them anymore but Gowan does an awesome job of replacing him,,,they couldnt do some of their songs though because of legal reasons..deyoung is an asshole that way but a good musician

the best part of new styx is that they will also perform a few of Gowans hits so its like 2 concerts in one

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

When i think of Styx i think of Eric Foreman :D

10. Moonglow181

I did not know who Gowan is, so I listened on u-tube...he is cool, and from Scotland....lol

I can understand liking replacements just as much or more sometimes.. I only ever saw foreignor with Kelly Hansen singing in the lead role, and he has so much charisma, that I forgot he was not the original singer...and he is awesome.....

Anyway, I found a full length concert of DeYoung like I saw last night and opening with the same song they did last night, but not in the same order as I saw last night, and he sounds pretty good here, so the quality is good here...my little videos I caught with my phone last night sound good, and I wish I could post the snippets here, but don't know how...and you can hear me singing where he told everyone to sing...lol

...Love the song Best of Times and many others , too.... I don't know about feuds and it is sad bands break up over them and divide into two...and there is always two sides to everything, so I try not to take any sides ever.....It happens all of the time it seems with many bands. i know Graham from Foreignor went nuts, so that is what happened there......

At the end...when bands usually go off stage, and the audience yells more,more, more....and the band comes back out always to play one or two more songs...That did not happen last night. Dennis said..I know we are supposed to go off stage now and you yell for more and we come back out, but that is not going to happen like that this time...so clap now and we will play more without leaving the stage......

The audience went nuts, and it was pretty much a full excited house last night.

11. Moonglow181

I watched that concert video a little earlier today, so i feel like I have seen Dennis twice in two days now....We got extra last night, though....more songs including Lady....and Dennis only threw August one song to sing last night...Too Much Time on My Hands...so I got to know August better by watching the video today......He is an awesome singer and guitarist, as well.....I concentrated mainly on DeYoung last night, who seemed to have more control of the reigns and songs last night...he also talked more and joked more and seemed oozing with more energy than ever......than in the video today...Maybe he feels better these days and something was going on in his life in 2014.......and our tickets were not cheap...so I think we got our money's worth......
    The most expensive concert we have gone to in the last few years was to see Peter Frampton..and I felt jipped with that money...worst....He was ok for first half of the show singing some of his well known songs....but he never connected with the audience at all on any level,..and the second half went on forever putting us to sleep...as he was just jamming crap by himself on stage that we never heard before with no words...........The other worst concert we ever saw was Bryan Adams....as he had no back up band and just sang all of his hits by himself with one guitar he had. I did not like that show at all....and will never go again to someone singing all of their hits alone like that. I digress, though.

Last night we sat in the 8th row back in the center, so we had very good seats, too.

Also, Suzanne came to the front of the stage for the last song...Come Sail Away...and danced with Dennis....the holding of hands in the air...arms around waist old fashioned kind of dancing....

so what a great way to end the show....I wanted to hear Desert Moon going there most of all last night...and that song makes me cry...so maybe that is my favorite song of all....but others come very close....

Tonight is Blood Sweat and Tears...but obviously, we are staying home tonight. It is kind of a long drive to make too often. It would have been nice to see Blood Sweat and Tears, too....ah, well...maybe next time.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  12. fundoo

fundoo Members

[​IMG] :D

I couldn't remember the Eric Foreman, but just Googled it. Found this too. Same episode? This season was just on, but I missed this episode apparently or it didn't air this time. :/

-----------------------------------------------

I actually never really got into them, but sorry for the loss all the same.

13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Sensing your enthusiasm, I have just watched the first non operatic vocal performance for several years. He is one of the best singers that I have heard move an audience in his unique way. His ability to work with such a talented orchestra is remarkable. Many of today's singers could learn a lot from seeing how he interacts with both audience and fellow performers.

Moonglow181 likes this.
  14. Asmodean

Looks like that's an episode with Hyde's sister and recordstore which means that's the season Eric is in Africa.
    So no, the episode i was thinking of has to be from an older season!

fundoo likes this.
  15. Asmodean

fundoo likes this.
  16. fundoo

fundoo Members

Maybe I mixed up the seasons. I'll just go with what you said. Lol