Democrats clean house, Republicans embrace sexual improprieties.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MeAgain, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The point is Alabama is connected to the rest of the U.S and the world.
    Just because they see things differently, doesn't mean they're right.

I agree that people can change in thirty years, but if we look at Roy Moore we can see he still isn't fit for a public office of any type.

2. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Now I see why the Democrats are in such a struggle. In 2 days we see how Alabama feels. If they elect a Republican, its NOT that they are wrong. They just don't feel like the Dems want them to. It is NOT the fault of the Republicans that the Democrats aren't getting elected. At some point we have to be accountable for our results instead of always being someone else at fault. Maybe the Democrats are wrong? I know....impossible to think such a thing.

LOL. Unless he was a Democrat.

3. MeAgain

So if Moore gets elected you're saying it's not wrong to elect someone of his character? It's the Democrats' fault.
    No matter where you're from.

You're saying that the Republicans are right for supporting him with his child molestation accusations, his disregard for the Constitution, and his bigotry? It's the Democrats' fault.

If he gets elected it's the modern Democrats' fault, not the fault of the bigots and those stuck in the morals and attitudes of the 1800's who could care less about the rule of law?

And I don't know what your LOL is about. Seems to me the Democrats have been clearing their house.
    Al Franken was one of the most liberal progressive Democrats in Congress. Well liked, a rising star who was doing good for the country and they tossed him out as being unfit for office.
    So what the heck are you talking about?

McFuddy and scratcho like this.
  4. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

After all these guys get taken down. The obvious question will be "why not trump"?

5. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

The democrat feminists have demonized Franken and Conyers, and got them to resign. Two dedicated liberals that have worked for decades for the liberal cause. They were not perverts or pedophiles or rapists, they were decent men. There will be two new republicans to take those seats in Minnesota and Michigan next year. the resentment from their supporters will cause them to vote against any feminist the DNC puts up. The biggest mistake the "me too" movement has made, is to think that the feminists can win next year without the male vote. Hillary and Schultz screwed Bernie out of becoming POTUS....ensuring that there will not be a female president for a long long time. The dems have lost my vote, and I bet many other men like me that have been life long liberals. There are many women that don't like feminists either. Because of the demonetization of men by the feminists, hundreds of rich liberals that have been donating to the DNC have stopped their support. The DNC is bankrupt....the GOP will out spend the dems 10 to 1 next year.

The DNC Is Debt Ridden, Unpopular and Failing
    The DNC Is Debt Ridden, Unpopular and Failing

NotMyRealName likes this.
  6. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

And this has further hurt their cause in the workplace in general. I now have to consider the liability of having a woman in the workplace, when there isn't any way in hell you can ever know what one will find offensive compared to the next one. You can't just make a list of Acceptable vs Unaaceptable things to say and do, as next week something that you can't think of, can suddenly be considered offensive.

I can set aside untold sums of money for sensitivity training, remediation against potential claims etc., or I can simply save the company loads of trouble and money to simply not have them in the workplace. Cost me less to potentially defend myself against discrimination, than it would to consider the cost of a mere hint of someone being offended by something which day of which week.

rjhangover likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Is it really that hard to figure out what is appropriate in the workplace?
    Dont ask someone if you can masturbate in front of them
    Don't touch them
    Dont talk about sex
    Dont comment on their appearance beyond "you look nice."
    Dont ask to go out for drinks if they are your subordinate unless it is for a work function.
    Professionalism is not hard.

But sure, blame women for being "liabilities"

McFuddy likes this.
  8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

James Bond would be in prison right now in real life. I wouldn't be surprised if Sean Connery was accused next.

9. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

The whole sexual harassment thing is so one sided. Women have been sexually harassing men since they started wearing makeup, short skirts and revealing blouses to get what they want. If Lorena Bobbitt didn't commit sexual assault, there's no such thing...got off Scott free.

10. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Nope professionalism is not at all hard and I agree with all of those. I could add a few more that used to be a pretty agreed to common sense. But we aren't talking about reasonable or common sense any longer.

All of the above super easy and should be reasonable.

Now lets add exceptions:

You can't say you look nice if they wear one type of clothing and not another. Otherwise it could be construed as suggestive. Jeans you say nothing but a dress you do........troubles.
    Or some male employee says she looks nice in that sweater because in brings out her features better.....or any number of iterations to this.
    Or you grew up in a culture where kissing a woman's hand or hugging them etc. upon greeting them is considered "correct" by both parties. And then without knowing another woman does not. Not discussed ahead of time just a cultural difference. Ask an Italian family how normal that is. Or now place a Muslim into the mix. That Muslim won't greet a woman with a handshake. Its against their culture. Now that woman is offended by him. Next step....hostile workplace.
    I'd say stay away from compliments completely. Too many razorblades to swallow there. If you tell one woman she looks good and not another, the left out one decides it has become a hostile workplace now. If you tell them all, then you're a pervert.

Or if you stop to pick up papers she dropped, it could be viewed as taking extra measures that the man didn't need to subject her to. "And he touched my hand suggestively when he returned those papers to me".

Or if you greet one with a smile and not the other.....hostile to the one that you didn't.

Or you arrive at work to find 2 female employees in a disagreement. And end up siding with one and not the other. The other will then make a case that you don't like her and like the other better. Hostile workplace.

Or You see one in a grocery store and stop to say hello nicely. Then it becomes "He approached me after work and made me uncomfortable in the way he greeted me."

Or one gets a raise that is better than another one and the one that did happens to be attractive as well as a superior performer. Troubles.

Or if they are at a company function and have too much to drink and you offer to walk them to the couch or to the car or pick your ending......you are opening yourself up to all sorts of problems.

Or be Garrison Keillor. Garrison Keillor fired over allegations of 'inappropriate behavior'. Of particular significance is this excerpt:
    "Keillor told the Associated Press in an email he was fired over "a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard." He told The Star Tribune in a separate message his hand went up the back of a woman's shirt "about six inches" after he tried to "pat her back."

"She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called," Keillor told the state's largest newspaper.

The list is growing every week. I have a professional obligation to protect my company from losses when possible.

We are going to kill ourselves trying to figure out how we might offend any day of the week now. And it appears we will be convicted before the first investigation takes place now. I'll simply choose to eliminate the possibility by eliminating the liability. Don't come to work for me. Go find a job elsewhere. I do not know one female from the next when it comes to these intentions. It should be about common sense. But it isn't.

I once was a FEMA inspector. It did not happen to me but it did happen. An inspector was on his 10th house of the day. He was tired. As he did his inspection he took it upon his self to sit on the bed in the master bedroom. He had no place else to sit as it was all gone. A scripted question we are all required to ask is "Is there anything else I can provide for you that we haven't yet discussed?" This was a required question. The applicant successfully sued the U.S Govt for sexual harassment. They argued that the question suggested to her that he was wanting sex to take place because he was sitting on the bed she slept it when he asked it and she felt that he was suggesting if she wanted to get paid she was to sleep with him. AND SHE WON! The fix was....we could no longer sit on a bed or chair or accept water or etc from any applicant. And they wonder why they need 18,000 inspectors and can't keep them.

I don't miss that environment at all and will be damned if I let it now run a private business as well.

Not hard at all to be and act professional. The reality is it has nothing to do with the way things go down any longer.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    rjhangover likes this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

just to touch on some points -

His hand went UP her shirt ...six inches? Come on man, someone's hand doesnt fall 6 inches up someone's shirt by accident.

And the FEMA guy sitting on the bed? I'm actually really interested in reading more about this case. My gut reaction is that if you're working in someone's home as a professional it is really inappropriate to sit on their bed, no matter the circumstances. I would be really uncomfortable with that.

But thanks for providing concrete examples there. To be honest, most everything else you listed comes across as possibilities that exist within your own head. Without proof that, to use one of your examples, accidentally brushing up against someone's hand has caused legitimate problems in the workplace it is hard for me to take the example seriously. It seems like something you're afraid of happening due to your own biases, not something that has happened or will happen. Another example you used - a manager taking sides? This happens every day in the business world and is unrelated to sexual harassment - UNLESS the manager is sleeping with the person whose side they routinely take. But that would actually qualify as legitimate sexual harassment and most companies have strict rules about superiors sleeping with suboridinates for that reason. Someone gets a promotion and they happen to be more attractive than someone who didnt get the promotion? Not a problem because the company should be able to show the superior work quality of the person getting the promotion.

The only example that sounds like a plausible cause for concern in the work environment is cultural differences among international employees. I'm sure that has always been and will always be an HR nightmare. But that's what HR is there for.

I'm sure as a business owner you already understand that discriminating based on gender (beyond jobs that require a certain physical strength) is illegal as fuck. A liability to your business, to use a turn of phrase

I find it telling that a woman is a liability automatically, just for being a woman. Yet you casually mention a guy whose hand magically fell 6 inches UP a woman's shirt as if he didnt do anything wrong, as if he isn't the liability.

12. MeAgain

Meliai...it's obviously her fault.

Why was she wearing a skirt? Very provocative. And...where was her chastity belt? Huh?
    You must understand that she was "asking for it". It's just common sense. Her fault.
    I mean she was in a aeroplane...wasn't she?
    Amelia Earhart tried that and look what happened to her. I'm thinking Fred Noonan got provoked by her when they were out over the Pacific and that was that. Her fault.

I didn't read the rest as it was getting too provocative for me.

Meliai likes this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Ah , my mistake. Of course it was her fault. She was a liability, after all

14. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Accidentally went 6 inches up a bare back when he intended to pat her on the back. IMMEDIATELY writing an apology to woman, got accepted and continued working with her until her attorney said otherwise. He was a liability by being around a female that got touched.

I'll take my chances in a court of law over discrimination charges. I have no idea what the landscape of the new sexual harassment climate is. I have fought discrimination charges before.

And I'll find case examples. I have been in management for years. These are either real examples I experienced or examples provided in training courses that were based on real examples. Arguing females in the workplace is very common and very problematic.

And hostile workplaces doesn't require sexual content. A hostile workplace based on gender can be created towards a female that is overweight etc. Simply by making decisions that don't favor them will be construed into some hostility in so many ways now.

If I don't hire any overweight females, its trouble. If I do and someone comments on their weight....its trouble. Nothing sexual about it. However they pay out the same in consequences.

Since I need men in my particular workplace more for work efforts, its far simpler to simply not fill a job that would typically be held by a female.

As a FEMA inspector, if there is only a bed to be found and they are on the other side of the room and I have been busting my ass all day to help as many people as I can......yeah its possible we may not consider sitting on a bed a sexually charged possibility. There might not be any other choices and yeah we get exhausted sometimes. Too bad we need to be wary of sitting on a bed as possibly job loss territory. Suddenly its now the mans fault he sat on a bed. And did his job.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Doesnt surprise me

McFuddy likes this.
  16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Also he said he went 6 inches up her shirt. So which is it, up her shirt or up her bare back?

17. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Read the account for yourself.

I'm sure the attorney accused him of rape in their claim.

Yep an African American was not promoted and felt he should have been. Sued us for discrimination. Well documented he was an under performer. Didn't matter he felt discriminated against.

Thankfully there were other African Americans that didn't feel they were.

The sad part is....counsel determined it was cheaper to pay out a settlement than the cost of defending all the way through trial. So yeah. liabilities.

So think whatever you want about what you think if me. Doesn't surprise me in the least that you have me figured out in your mind.

Liabilities.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Shrug.

I don't know anything about you except you're a business owner who has decided not to hire women.

That isnt going to sit well with any female who works for a living, just fyi

But I don't have to work for you so go forth and discriminate I guess. Enjoy your lawsuits

19. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yet you claim lack of surprise that I'd be sued for discrimination. Your words not mine.

Preconcieved notions aren't strictly a male problem it would appear.

Fact, attorneys will wreak havoc with the slightest anything that can Garner billable hours and fat settlements. Not to say that men, some men have acted inappropriately, but as you have shown, they don't own the market on it.

I will manuever as I see fit in the new landscape. Minimize the risk and ignore political correctness.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Sex aside though, its pretty unprofessional to plop on someone's furniture when doing work in their house unless they ask you to have a seat. It would take me aback..I can see how a woman alone in a house with a man would be thrown off guard when he sits on her bed uninvited and could take his comment as a threat. I would have to read more about the case though, I cant make an informed opinion. But at the very least he was being unprofessional.

As far as the guy who stuck his hand up someone's shirt...I did read it myself and he most definitely admitted to sticking his hand 6 inches up her shirt. When you pat someone on the back you normally pat their mid back or shoulder, you dont start near the bottom of someone's shirt and accidentally slide your hand an entire 6 inches up their back. That's obviously b.s..