Delete Facebook

Discussion in 'Conspiracy' started by thefutureawaits, Aug 12, 2015.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

They know your name but they don't know what books you read, who you talk to, what products you buy etc. Facebook is also for marketing. It's just a big focus group and all the info is being given away for free. Before social networking you had to pay for that kind of info and to learn all that about a person you considered dangerous would take a lot of leg work.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, and i'm not sure how facebook would have any idea what books i read or what products i buy either. who i talk to, they might be able to make some educated guesses, but it would come out pretty inaccurate.

3. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

They, as well as other sites see what you search. Items close to those I have searched on the net, show up on my home page as ads.

I don't have face book and never will.

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Dont need to watch it to know facebook is fucking spying garbage!!

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think this is kind of taanstafl in action. i mean i don't disagree with there's a lot wrong with facebook and other corporate provided social media sites.

if people wanted to create their own web sites, they could still learn how and do so.

if you want someone else to create the semi-equivalent of one for you, you cant expect there not to some sort of price in tradeoffs for them doing so.

the closest thing to any kind of social media sites i'm on is right here. although i think i may have started a care 2 page a long time ago and sort of forgot about it.

fur affinity is where i post my art and hang out. i watch a few railfan sites and you tube, where i have a channel and vimeo, and check my yahoo mail,
    but mostly its just f.a. and here, that i spend any amount of time on line.

i did have a site of my own, back in the day. it eventually ended up on freewebs, where they've long since mothballed it or finally deleted it entirely.
    i don't know for sure. several times its popped back up long after i thought it was gone for good.
    no reason to really care whether it does or not.

i do have my own ideas for a forum site i'd like to create, if i was younger, richer, more ambitious and more knowledgable to keep up with it,
    but i'm not really planning ever to actually do so.

if i did, it would mostly be a chat place to role play the world inside my head, which would be the condition and purpose of its use.
    but i don't really know the admin end of online bbs systems to seriously think about it.

that's something for these 'kids' who things like that already existed when they were growing up.
    when i was in high school we didn't even yet have pong games. i was 30 before we had 8-bit and dial up.

6. EvilLady88

EvilLady88 Members

Myspace sucks! Had it and gave up on it, fb is ok, fun at times.

7. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

When I read this I thought: "geez that stuff is still around?" so I went to check it out.

And sure enough when I got there and clicked on "people" I got this big button smack in the middle of the screen.

It said "Sign in with Facebook". [​IMG]

8. EvilLady88

EvilLady88 Members

Wait is it facebook or myspace? Lol

9. golden_eel

golden_eel Members

I miss the days on here befor the book sucked most away. Used to be a lot more lively. Sad

1 person likes this.
  10. meeses

meeses Member

People would be very upset and yet they put the personal info on sites on their own. Facebook, hipforums,etc. All the same as far as sites read by agents pushing a certain agenda. It is a well known fact.

I joined facebook once so I could chat with wife and children while working away from home. Within 24 hrs I had 111 friend requests. Right away I knew that facebook garbage was really just that... garbage. I hear that " Linkedin" is becoming like a facebook type site...

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Tried to post a retort to some dick-head on the Huffington site. Says=sign in to Facebook in order to post. No. I don't think so. Good thing is that when I try to sign up for various sites--they always say something like=no such name-no such person. Excellent. Wa-a-a-ay under "the radar." This site is about the only site that recognizes me.

1 person likes this.
  12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this doesn't seem possible unless you somehow set yourself up to attract spammers. i would think justin bieber probably took more than 24 hours to get his first 111 facebook friends.

13. Nikalaus

Nikalaus Member

I did delete Facebook circa 2009, and I re-joined in 2013. The main reason being even though you yourself chose to not be present, ... your friends and family ARE there. I think in today's world it's more important to keep tabs on what's being said about you. Even though you actively want nothing to do with it.

14. Kiprat

Kiprat ophidiophobe

My facebook ids are all fake. HP is a vile place.

15. Kiprat

Kiprat ophidiophobe

I find the datamining/spying at FB to be disgusting. But so is Linkedin and most of the others.

Also, I wonder with FB, is it healthy the way people reignite old school contacts etc? Or should the distant past always be kept just as that?
    I mean isn't it a little like a modern day form of necromancy?

16. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

using your real identity online makes it easy for people to dox you. someone might decide to order you a pizza .. for the lulz

edit: sometimes ppl dont care but what you post on the internet is there for eternity

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

knowing this is why i post it. kind of like throwing a bone to my ego.
    but i don't post in on corporate hosted 'social media'.
    corporate consumerist anything has never been what the internet is for, to me.
    nuts and volts and tiny gears, furry creatures' curiosity overcoming their fears, seeing far while staying here, not human hypocracy, hate and fear, these what bring me here to cheer.

1 person likes this.
  18. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

I deleted facebook a long time ago when it first came out, it was that very process of finding an external site with instructions on how to do so. Then you had to not touch your account for two weeks until it "permanently deleted" (I agree it's likely info saved somewhere)

Anyways point being, I had remade an account, unable to recover any of my info from the previous one.

I tried looking at deleting my account again, but I need it for band stuff. So my comprimise was to change my info to false stuff
    I'm a hundred years old, and am the creator/CEO of Facebook itself. Check me out sometime ;)

1 person likes this.
  19. Saul50

Saul50 Members

After computers, the internet, GPS, cell phones, cams and other innovations no one is immune to having their lives spied on. It's not just on Facebook, but on all websites and social networks. Therefore, all care is little. I am not against social networks. You should use them to communicate, convey their ideas, etc., but care must be taken not to reveal things that can be used against you later.