Delay Period

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Feawen, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Feawen

Feawen Member

I've been told of a pill that can delay your period a bit. E.g. if you didn't want it during a holiday. This sounds like a myth to me. Is it real, and if so, is it prescription?

2. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I've done it before
    I use a fairly low dose of pill though, so I got two periods in the next month and a bit (first a week after my "normal" one, then next on my set of sugar pills a couple weeks later)

I don't really recommend it, unless you HAVE to be without a period for something. It'll still come, just later.

3. lola78

lola78 Member

You tke the 3 weeks of regular pills then when you should take the other pills to get a period, you skip that and start a new pack. Essentially keeping your hormone levels high. This is also how that new pill seasonale works.

4. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

There has been some research that suggests that its healthy to skip a few periods. The idea is that becuase we have the ability to prevent preganacy, we're getting more peroids than is natural, so missing your sugar pills wouldnt be such a bad thing, so long as you didnt do it all of the time

5. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

But, if you're going to do this (and I have been for the past year), make sure you use a monocyclic pill -- meaning that all of the active pills are the same dose level.

Don't try this if you're on a tricyclic pill (like ortho-tricyclen). I can't explain the mechanisms, but that's what my doc told me.

But, I'm not sure this is what the OP was asking about... The way it is phrased sounds like she's asking if there is some pill out there that you can take, even if you are not already on bc pill, that would delay a period... OP, am I reading you wrong? If this is what you're asking, you probably misheard someone talking about the bc pill. Yes, it is only by prescription, and no you can't just use it once to delay a period by a couple of days. I have not heard of any pill you can do that with.