Deja Vu

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 4, 2013.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I have deja vu a lot. Anyone else?

2. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

lately not at all

3. Kyle_95

Kyle_95 Member

Same

4. RainyDayHype

I think you've said that before.

5. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

lulz

I used to get deja vu fairly often, but not so much anymore.

6. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Oxygen girl

I get that sometimes it just for a couple seconds I feel like this moment has already happened. like I'm remembering something I already did

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Every once in awhile. What about the things or words you hear one time/day and then suddenly hear/see them more often the next few days. Yes, I've heard of the theory that once you focus on such a word that was previously not in your mind like that you can notice it more conscious than before.. but sometimes I'm pretty sure I did not hear/see that word or thing before.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment

Yeah... Having a few these days.

9. TopNotchStoner

That happens to me all the time. lol

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Do you think it's always a case of not paying attention before? Me only sometimes. Not that I project any significance on it but it can certainly be remarkable.

11. KevinH

KevinH Just Floating Here

It's actually a function in the brain. One part of the brain realizing something before the other side notices.

You can re-create it with certain drugs.

12. TopNotchStoner

Regarding things/words you see/hear on a random occasion, then see/hear them everywhere after that? I don't know, but it's trippy. For example, I'll see a car that I've never seen before, whether it be a new model or an old model, and then I start to notice it everywhere. It's strange.

13. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Oxygen girl

but didn't. like remembering something from a past life. ever think or feel that way?

14. chadcr01

chadcr01 Senior Member

I think that's just pattern recognition... you're more likely to pick up on certain patterns when you actually know the pattern.

A part of memory function seems to be reductive. In other words, memory is essentially the process of evaluating for usefulness/pertinence all the sensory information that you're taking in, determining what is important or relevant information that needs to be remembered, and simply ignoring the rest... I think its Lester Grinspoon who gave the example of the subway. Ideally you want to remember if you took the subway to work in the morning... it's advantageous to be able to remember that you rode the subway into work, and with this recognition you will be able to navigate back home at the end of the day simply by taking the subway back. However would you really want to remember every random face you saw on the subway? That confers no benefit or survival advantage for you, and if you were to remember all the random faces, all the random vehicles, and all the other objects of little importance which you see everyday, you're available RAM (so to speak) would be used up awfully quickly and you wouldn't have much room for anything else.

So therefore when you're seeing all these random vehicles everyday, your brain is purposely overlooking them; it is selectively scanning everything and determining its relevance and importance before it decides to file it in the memory bank. However, once you have an experience which brings the object to the forefront of your conscious mind (for instance you might say "Wow, I've never seen those Ferrari's around here before"), no matter how fleeting that thought is, your mind has now recognized a pattern, or an object which it deems relevant because its been brought into the conscious mind as a thought. Now as you progress through life instead of dumping all that useless "junk info" about random Ferrari's in your neighborhood, which the mind had previously been selectively discarding due to irrelevance or unimportance, your mind is actively filing that information because it has associations it can connect it to; it is no longer junk sensory information. These associations in the brain are what deem the information "relevant" (because you've had past experiences in which you noticed a rare Ferrari), and such associations are the determining factor in whether or not the information is simply discarded, or filed for later use/recall. So now as you drive down the road, you start to notice other Ferrari's... I don't think its simply because there are all the sudden more Ferrari's on the road (though this is certainly possible), I think it simply has more to do with your brain recognizing a familiar pattern and keying you into the existence of other objects of the same (or related) pattern. This is clearly an evolutionary advantageous mechanism, and has obvious purpose for our survival.

At least I think this is what's going on... I could be totally wrong :p

But I'm also not opposed to the idea that there IS synchronicity in this world, and sometimes things just line up weirdly in a way that cannot be explained away by scientific rationalism.. What is that all about? Who knows, but it definitely seems to exist sometimes

15. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

A lot of my deja vu is something that happened in dreams months or years earlier. Involving people I have never met or places I have never been before. When the event actually happens in real life the feeling is like a chill and i think back to how long ago the dream happened. Still happens frequently for me.

16. RainyDayHype

yeah! this happens to me
    premonition dreams, maybe?

17. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Most of the time when I have the dream I wake up thinking "What was that all about?" Then when the event actually happens it is like "Oh, now I get it,"

18. I've been to this strip club called Deja Vu