Defending the faith

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by Okiefreak, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

As some of you may have noticed, we have a hyperactive self-styled Gnostic on the regular Christianity forum (Nothing wrong with that; I'm a bit of a Gnostic myself). But he's up to twenty new threads now, amounting to attack ads against mainstream Christianity. He says little or nothing about Gnosticism, positive or negative, but is non-stop negative about anything other than his own point of view and tends to launch personal attacks about anybody trying to defend Christianity. If one of us did something similar on behalf of Christianity outside the Sanctuary, we'd be violating Skip's rule against.Proselytizing. Is this something that we should be concerned about?

Lynnbrown and soulcompromise like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

0ooo00 looks like you have met your watch okiedokie. Someone's gotten under your skin. :p

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't know if we "should" be concerned, but i'm not. i always take the stance that any posts should be allowed unless they're illegal or spam.

4. storch

storch banned

What you really should have done is lodge a complaint with Administration on behalf of everyone here. But not everyone is as offended as you are, so that wouldn't work either.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, I dont spam the Christianity forum.

But Christianity, Islam, Judaism, following these texts written by crazy fuckers living in a cave a couple thousand years ago is the dumbest shit ever.

Well after Astrology and Golf that is

Man in a cloud, man in a cloud

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Yes, I think that is something we should be concerned about. While this forum is all about free speech, I think that your rights to not be persecuted are affected (at least!) by that sort of thing. I have a habit of reporting posters that do this, but sometimes nothing can be done.

When all else fails there are two things to be done: 1) the ignore feature works, or 2) troll back. lol

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It's not being persecuted that I'm concerned about, but the carpet bombing of a forum with highly polemical attacks ads without any positive content, and the personal attacks on anyone who expresses a view contrary to the OPs . It's the equivalent of trolling/ spamming. The dude has hijacked the Christianity forum. My response to it is to create a thread where people can explore the topic of Gnosticism rationally and civilly if they want to without being personally attacked. But if you prefer to post on the twenty alernative threads, feel free.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    soulcompromise likes this.
  8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Hey man don't drag golf into this. I mean yeah it's dumb but I don't think we need to put it next to fairy tales.

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

that's not what i mean by troll back. I guess you could take it to mean that though. I just meant that sometimes I will stoop down and post a real brain teaser for that person, which is bad form but look what they do! Before I ignored them all, I caught myself starting to go the way I'm talking about with the pro-gun crowd. I couldn't stand the way the conversation was going so I would lie or say something I don't mean or do something out of character like wait a long time before responding on purpose - different things to be vindictive. That's what I meant.

You're right. People on HipForums shouldn't be vindictive. I was wrong.

But that said we shouldn't have to tolerate ignorant behavior. it's like sort of insulting. I don't know. I hope I'm making some sense to you. :)

If you can't let that one fly, I would definitely considering presenting the facts in a dignified manner with the report link at the bottom of any post you deem to be not just in poor taste, but also inflammatory in nature, such that it's repetitious, or that it's a blatant jab at anyone seeing religion as a meaningful thing. And that's what I don't like. The thumb in the eye of everyone who finds some peace or meaning in that sanctuary.

Well, That's enough out of me.. lol

Okiefreak likes this.
  10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm all for trolling back myself. it's one of the funnest things to do on a forum. trolling regular people is pretty douchey, but trolling trolls is great.

really, i don't see how you can bash a pastime that was invented purely as an excuse to get drunk and walk around outside in the summer.

McFuddy likes this.
  11. Astrology is real.

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Using a handicap is kind of the same, so you can believe you are less ordinary than you are ;)

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't get handicaps in golf.
    Do you shoot a 89 and then go well my handicap was 14 so I really shot a 75?

Yeah, nah. Just add your score up dickhead. :p

McFuddy likes this.
  14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't really get handicaps in any sport. as far as i can tell, it just means you should intentionally throw the game at first, and then try hard once your handicap is set. that way you automatically beat the shit out of everyone who is actually good at whatever you're doing.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Your lodging here has ended, your welcome here is ceased
    No honour left bestowed our open hand now iron fist
    Ours is the kingdom, on land, on high or sea
    Your teachings have no truth our heathen ways will now prevail!

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I thought this was the Christian sanctuary. Have pagans taken it over?

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

This was just a surprise skurmish. :p

I could have gone "Christian lands" but in this sense, I stuck with "heathens" as I believe in a way, we're battling the same enemies.

I shall side with you this fine morning, knight. Und on the 'morrow, God only knows.

*Whips cloak in front of body and disappeared into a vape cloud, of marijuana*

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Exactly

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's some ego trip I feel. Like your average golfer can't hit par every hole so of course you're going to be over their score. It's like me at pool, I know an average player can't run a table every time but you don't start taking balls off the table as a handicap lol.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Handicap of 14, 71 virgins when you die.

Its kind of the same thing, you are creating your own little world. And everyone else is like....dude...come on...nah