Defeat the insurgency, leave Iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Eugene, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

I heard on NPR the other day this dude who was talking about how the only claim to ligitmatcy the insurgency has in Iraq is that most Iraqis don't like the American occupation. They like the fact that they don't have to deal with Saddam, but they don't like the fact that they have to deal with the Americans.
    Most Iraqis clearly want a representative government, and most Iraqis understand the lives of Iraqis than Americans. Iraq is a largely secular country for that part of the world, at least in the Sunni parts, and they might have a chance for democracy, hell the autonomous (sp?) Kurdish region in the north has been thriving since thrown from Saddams yolk ten years ago.

So, maybe, we could leave all overt operations in Iraq, the insurgency loses all sense of ligtimacy, and less Iraqi people get killed. We could make sure no one who we really don't like gets into power, CIA and all that shit.

Some people might say that if we leave Iraq than the insurgency has won. I say that if we leave Iraq the insurgency will go away, we want them to vanish, so we win. If retreating defeats your enemy, than retreat.

2. Psy Fox

Psy Fox Member

True
    So democracy as long as we like the results? That is not Democracy, you have to allow them to fuck up.

3. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

No, i think that another strongman coming in and ruling with an iron fist and terrorizing the populace would be detremental to the Iraqis and the world.
    Especially if they got a religious fundamentalist strongman, then argueably we would be worse off than before because saddam was atleast a secular strongman.
    I'm not saying we off everyone who has any disagreement with us anymore than i say we should support horrible people who do agree. If they choose someone who is opposed to our next war, so fuckin what. If they choose someone who gasses minorities, then we all loose.

4. Psy Fox

Psy Fox Member

Don't think it will work like that see in Iraq there is a fast growing anarchist movement in Iraqi cities (that the US is actully tring to suppress).

The US is aginst Iraqis following in the Argentina anarchist movement footsteps with factories with bosses. I don't think that if Iraq becomes a anarchist state that the US will allow it. I bet Bush would be classing all anarchist as terrorist if it happends.

5. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

There is no meaningful anarchist movement in Argentina or Iraq. Wishful thinking.

I think a quick exit would help defuse some of the insurgency, but not all of it. So unfortunately, its still a little too soon, and we'll probably have to wait for the constitution and the next elections. Maybe we can withdraw from most regions of the country, but not all, and overall troop levels will probably not fall much.

The new government would love to ask for a partial withdrawal, it would make them look good, and we'd be only too happy to oblige. But it is too soon.

I think the odds of a fundamentalist regime are really quite small. I also think the Shia and Kurds are happy to work with Sunnis, even if they weren't elected. The outlook for cooperation looks good. But the reality is the country cannot provide security yet.

6. Psy Fox

Psy Fox Member

Argentina currently is the largest anarchist movement in the WORLD, Argentina has 15,000 workers in almost 200 democratic workplaces free of bosses,
    2 examples being the Zanon ceramic tile factory and the Forja Auto Parts Factory

And that is not all, Anarchist in Argentina took the streets yelling what translates into "Everyone Out" abandoning all faith in govement and turning to communial rule like rual anarchist spain.

Iraq is nowhere near where Argentina is but there is still a movement there.
    The US caused mose of the security problem by shooting into unarmed protests and murdering protest leaders.

7. green_thumb

green_thumb kill your T.V.

How many more Iraqis need to die?

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

We're not leaving Iraq. We are in the process of building 13 permanent bases there, so I doubt we're leaving anytime soon.

9. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Exactly. Colin Powell has stated that 100,000 troops will remain in the country, even after the formal occupation ends. (the Daily Telegraph, 3/1/2004)