Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ellis, May 13, 2004.

1. Ellis

Ellis Member

So, are there any Deep Purple fans out there?
    I for one love them. I really like the song Child In Time, but then again, don't we all. Strange Kind Of Woman, Smoke On the Water, Painter, When a Blind Man Cries and Hush are some of my favorites too.

2. Ellis

Ellis Member

:( No one likes Deep purple....?

3. Miss_Tambourine_Girl

Miss_Tambourine_Girl Member

cool ur from belgium!
    :p

4. sonik

sonik Member

Great great band, ritchie blackmore is the man. One of the biggest influences on me guitar wise.

:cool:

5. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

I love Deep Purple. I saw them @ the Cotton Bowl many years ago. It was right before Ritchie Blackmore quit. He was and is awesome.

6. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I wonder why deep purple's smoke on the water is such an anthem for stoners.. like it was even on the simpsons...

7. Vicar_in_a_Tutu

Vicar_in_a_Tutu Member

I like Blackmores Night and Rainbow better.

8. vintage soul

vintage soul Member

smoke on the water was the first song i learned to play on the guitar

9. fugedaboudit

fugedaboudit Member

i think smoke on the water might be the only song i've heard by deep purple... but i like it

10. sonik

sonik Member

Highway Star, My women from tokyo, space truckin, and probably there most well known song Hush.

Potential songs the unassuming have heard from DP.

:cool:

11. fugedaboudit

fugedaboudit Member

none of those ring a bell

12. Silent Jay & The

Silent Jay & The Member

I like "IN ROCK" and I love "CONCERTO".

I like Smoke on the Water only because of the text about Zappa & The Mothers.

13. sonik

sonik Member

Kentucky woman???

14. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

I love Deep Purple.. But I am in the minority.. While I really like Blackmore, I am a total Tommy Bolin freak. Come taste the band is my favorite DP album.

15. Mintaoism

Mintaoism Member

I have heard a few of their songs. The opening riff of smoke on the water is orgasmic. Highway star as well, which in my mind is a very under rated song. eben though tones of people love, which they should...

16. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

I'm too a very big fan of DP, mainly due to my cousin playing in a tribute band and playing all the songs and having all the cds...
    Made in Japan is a great album. But my favourite is the Book of Taliesyn because it's got Anthem on it and that song is one of their best!!!
    Now that I think of it, I haven't listened to DP for a while.

17. osiris

osiris Senior Member

My fave purple song is Lazy. The organ player kicks ass.

much love :)

18. WatchinUfromtheBridg

WatchinUfromtheBridg Member

Deep Purple is a good band with a psychedelic name more than with a hard-rock type of name like the stupid barbarians manowar , Deep Purple is born in the end of 1967...
    They ve done 3 albums(Lord was the leader at that time) in 15 months...with Evans as lead singer ...i prefer this Deep Purple to what will follow for their style of music ...they were psychedelic-rock more than hard rock ...but those 3 first lp's miss a bit of x-perience.....they re learnin how to built a song...and the record company push them too hard to without any break to have a real classic lp from this first line-up.
    So the Gillian era from summer 69 to the summer 73 is a band who want to climb mountains...but i m not fan of Machine head (even if its a classic)...it s their most hard-rock album...this is proably the reason...("smoke in the water "break my balls)
    I prefer Fireball from october 71 (maybe the greatest year in rock)...This is a great album much more psychedelic in a way with "No No No" and the atmospheric "Fools" & the gigantic "the Mule"...3 songs to hear after a smog sessions (dya kow what i mean?)

"Child in time" from In Rock (summer 70) is a classic with a great John Lord and "Blind", "April" & "Bird has flown" from the Deep Purple lp (from spring 69 & their last lp with singer Evans) are 3 very fine tracks from early Purple... & dont search heavy metal in those songs...

This is a very good band but not in the top of the top 'cause all their albums had 70 to 80 % of good songs ...this is never completely perfect...
    And i foget the Coverdale-Hughes era from autumn 73 until the demise in february 76...3 good albums...this is a regulary good band ...all respect to their records and the members...

This is the classic Purple ...their reformation in the 80s and 90s is not my cup of tea like a lot of 70s bands...

bye

19. Moonlightstars

Moonlightstars Member

An interesting post there WatchinUfromtheBridge... learnt a few thigns myself :)

MY dad listens to deep purple.. carnt say i listen to them all that much... only when my dad has them on i guess :p

never the less they sound good when i'm in the mood for it :)

20. WatchinUfromtheBridg

WatchinUfromtheBridg Member

Yehaaa the 1st basic reflex when we re young is to hate or take a little of distance with what our parents like...
    It s the mean reason why young americans prefer in their majority grunge music or rap to grandmother old vinyl collection ...even if she is a cool grandma...the question in the music of youth is : " Are you Hipe ?" or " Do U follow the last fashion in music ?"
    80 % of young people think way before like that...
    It s sad but for those people fashion is prioritary to the simple fact of lovin or not the music who came out of your stereo...it s incredible
    I dont give a damn of the year of release of an album...its good music or is not...I m sure most of you think like that...
    I dont know why im talkin of that in a deep purple forum...
    Yehaaa i start to remember that friday night ...a schoolmate was laughin of my collection of cd's ...he was apparently surprise...but there's better way to be surprise :)

there i leave to smoke some pot under the sunny sky of the Geneva Coutryland...with "the magical mystery sounds" crossin my mind...it will be great
    bye

nb: i'm eventually sorry for my approximative english :cool: