Decorating your Dreads!

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by phishcourtney04, Jan 22, 2005.

1. phishcourtney04

phishcourtney04 Member

hey yall,
    how do you adorn your dreadies? i love being able to sew stuff in my hair like little crystals and beads...and i'd love to know how everyone else makes their dreads super-unique and beautiful! share your stories :)

2. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

hemp wraped in some, beads, wooden mostly. I have a couple of glass looking ones...too poor to get glass right now lol. Everytime I even think about buying something for myself if I have spare money something comes up were its needed elsewhere. oh well, they'll be more dressed up in the years to come I'm sure. lol :)

3. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Oh i have lots of things. wooden beads (one on my oldest dread, one that kjaycee put on "his" dread, and some that inbloom sent me from canada, and one small wooden one from spain when traveling)
    A braid wrap from beautiful days last year, loads of the forumers got one together and i still have mine.
    plastic beads collected from people and places
    Some felt wool i used to have my whole head wrapped in but when i dreaded my hair i put a bit on one dread in memory.
    at the moment i have a bit of my purple trousers tied to my hair cos jaycee wrote me a love message on it and tied it to my dreads when i slept one night as he had to leave for work... so thats still in there.
    I got a dread that Dandelionblood decorated with blue and purple wool and a blue glass bead.
    :)

4. Earthy Mama

awwww jaycee sounds like a wonderful boyfriend!
    Your dread decorating sounds beautiful! I think I'm going to have to send you something for their birthday, lol.

5. ArtLoveMusic

Hehe he is a fansmazic person and the light of my heart. *blush*

awww hehe then I *looks important and puffed up chest like* must send YOU something for your dreadies :) I bought a load of REALLY cool wooden beads but the holes are far to small, so im going to drill them bigger and ones going to buddah, would you like one too? and im going to have one, they are quite chunky though.

6. Earthy Mama

sure! sounds great... I am leaving urs a suprise because I don't want your dreads to find out yet! lmao I know... I'm a dork... ha, love being a goof. :)

7. ArtLoveMusic

Awww hehe *blush* thank you. well i shall let you know what i've drilled them and you can let me know where to send it to :)

8. Earthy Mama

ok, thank you. :)

9. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

I use pony beads when I can squish 'em on... Though I think my locks are getting a bit big for that. *sniff* they're growing up so fast... Anyway. I have some hemp and embroidery thread wraps, and I've made a few peyote stitches. Sometimes, if the holes are too small, I'll sew beads into my hair and just let them dangle. I do the same thing with ribbons... I love the versatility of dreads. ^_^

10. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I have two glass beads...one is navy blue with swirls of sparkles and another one is white with orange and turquoise "tiger stripes"....they were relatively inexpensive, but beautiful. I also have one dread in a hemp wrap in which I left some longer pieces...I think it looks kinda cool. I also have a bead with sunflowers around the edge that I found on the ground at the university...I washed it up and put it in my hair...I thought it was just a message of some kind. I also have a yellow bead (my favorite color!) that my significant other got me with a small white flower painted on it. THEN my S.O.'s son bought these little velcro "jewels" and stuck them all in my hair...reminds me of the little sparkles in his eyes. Last a bone colored loooong wood bead that almost covers my entire dread...it kind of hurts to sleep on it, but it IS beautiful.

11. amber

amber Member

hmm... i have two peyote stitches... i made one of them its just rainbow colors... i have four glass beads in my hair.. i think my friend john made all of them... i have a hematite ring... a couple lil silver rings, hemp string, yeah, i don't even know what alls in there... anything i can stick in em'. Its quite fun... Sometime soon my bf is going to put a hemp wrap on one of my lil ones and i'm going to make some more elaborate peyote stitches once i get the hang of it.

12. redresonant

redresonant Member

i have a vine embroidred in the dread coming off the base of my head it needs to be finished*********

13. moontime

moontime mountain girl

wow I'd like to see that, do you have a pic?

14. phishcourtney04

phishcourtney04 Member

i have a LARGE bead on one dread-it's light turquoise colored and is ceramic and looks almost like a mini-log...i got in in a swapbox from the forums last year, but i don't remember who made it! on another dread i have a swirly-black with flowers bead, and another has a jade ring and a bead that i colored with black and white swirlies and filled in with different shades of permanent marker. i have lots of single stiches made with brown embroidery floss with an ametheyst or jade stone. this weekend i saw ymsb and dark star orchaestra, and i like to add stuff to my dreads to remember shows, so i made a neon pink and yellow dread wrap with an evil eye bead from turkey, and another dread wrap in bright pink and turquoise thread with a turquoise chunk sewn in. i love my dreads!!! pardon the long post :)

15. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

I'm gonna revive this thread, its 5 years old!

I have a porcelain bead I made, two wraps, a plait and a spiral hair shiny diamonte thingy dug in one of them somewhere ^^

16. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

I put some rainbow hemp wrap things in my dreads when they were a couple of months old to try and help the knots to form and stick...then I couldnt get one of them out like a month later and it got eaten by the dread. Now that one dread has a rainbow tip...Im just gonna let the hair grow over it at this point. Oh well. Other than that I dont have anything in my dreads.

17. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

That sounds coool mandy :D

18. daisymelan

daisymelan Professional fence sitter

Mandy... I'm similar to you, except the wrap that was eaten by my dreads was wool. It's in the underneath at the back so not noticeable. I also have a beautiful little fimo bead thingy that has a lizard on it that I got from Smelly. I put that in from time to time... it's adorable!

19. sanchobluesy

sanchobluesy Member

Me, I used to go to the beach and collect pop tops (cans and bottles) and wash them in the sea then, i'd them put (or bend ) them into my hair:also I got a hempwrap and um a wooden bead. I use to put feathers in , one i found was from a finch then a bluejay then a cardinal and a small duck feather. I live in Florida so banyons grow everywhere i consulted the earth spirits*and a i planted a tree in trade for cutting off some banyon rootvine and i crocheted that in my hair. I currently have a a bong cooling bead in there as well.-sancho

20. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

you put trash from the beach in your hair? lol. I know it prob looks cooler maybe then the visual Im getting. =]