decline of 60s style hippie spirit on forums

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cynthy160, Apr 24, 2013.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hippie spirit seems to be waning everywhere once again. It enjoyed something of a revival during the Dubya administration in response to his Godawfulness, then for a short time while the Occupy Movement was in full swing, but now people have become complacent once again like they did in the 70s. Welcome to the new Me Generation.

2. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

On what do you base your opinion? What are the indicators of hippie spirit?

3. Our society is comically power obsessed and vain. All these insecure little puppies running around acting like the place is a prison where we're all vying for control. They're a joke and we should laugh at their small penises.

4. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

I think people are just growing. I know back when I first got on these forums it was for psychedelics mostly and having these first experiences I got really in touch with nature and things.

Myself and others were looking through the past to some of these things such as the hippie movement, see what experiences they had, why they thought they way they did.

And for awhile that model of life worked. The hippie values were set into play. But as time progressed, my experiences, things we have learned since the hippie era, that all conglamerated, and the realization that the hippie movement was incomplete, and that we are still evolving.

See a lot of the ideas that hippies have are just that, ideas, a lot of the time those ideas don't ever go into action. A lot of so called hippies are dirty back stabbing cunts. They say they are peaceful, but piss them off and their just like anybody else, they act with anger, and sometime they are even more angry because they try to repress it. They will exploit you with drugs, just as the large corporation they are trying to deny exploits there people.

I think somewhere there are real hippies, but they probably don't look or talk or act anything like you picture a hippie to be. Because a real hippie is just someone thats found their inner peace, and someone that that is tune with nature.

5. QuietPerson

QuietPerson Member

I have such mixed feelings about social media. On one hand, being online has actually helped me to see there are other people out there who I can relate with, and I think in the hands of people who actually give a damn, social media can be a really useful tool for positive change. However, given what I've seen second-hand of the drama that happens on Facebook specifically, plus just some of the usual BS in the US culture, I really hesitate to even get a Facebook account. I've been online in some form since about 1990, and I'm still a Facebook virgin. I haven't ruled out the possibility of one day getting one mostly to exchange photos with relatives and that kind of stuff, but the networks I focus on are here (lately; I'm relatively new) and Reddit, where I post some but mostly lurk. I'm on Tribe.net, but I haven't been there in awhile. I hope some day the Internet can be a way for people who do still value peace, love, nature, and all those great things to have more of a voice...but I don't know, maybe it will devolve into videos of naked cats singing the latest K-pop hit.

6. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You're not alone. I'm not on Facebook, never have been. I've been online since 1983, starting with CompuServe and The Source.

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"a lot of hippies are back-stabbing cunts".

Not hippies,friend. Not hippies at all. As I said"the bad always drives out the good."

That's what you're seeing.

Oh yeah---------I'll be 74 May 3rd. My,how time flies. Just got out of school a few years ago,it seems.

8. QuietPerson

QuietPerson Member

Don't give up yet. There are actually people who are doing just that, in various forms, some more "formal" than others. At some point in your life, you may yet have that chance.

One thing that does give me a little bit of hope is that I have seen some things happen in my life that I never thought would. I even recently discovered there's a possible treatment for my visual impairment, which I have been told constantly throughout my life would never happen, because it's a problem with my optic nerves which don't regenerate. More related to communes, I've been able to find several different options that I'm considering at least checking out, down the road. Financially right now isn't a great time for me to be traveling, but I'll get there. I've had to learn not to give up easily, and I'm glad I did.

So...hmmm...what's the opposite of shooting someone down? Un-shooting them alive? :)

9. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I wanted to get online sooo bad in those days, but I think my parent were scared I'd try to hack in to the pentagon or something.

10. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Want to play thermonuclear war?

11. Mike Suicide

hellz yeah! and change my grades all to A's

12. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I think I was 9 when I saw that movie. My folks enrolled me in my first computer class that summer.

13. Mike Suicide

I was about the same age and used to write basic on my commodore 64.

14. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

The quote was "a lot of so called hippies". I wrote a long response to this but accidentally erased it. Basically I met a lot of people who claim to be hardcore hippies, rock dreads, and claim don't eat certain foods because its bad. But then they smoke and drink, and are angry enough to hit their animals.

I know their a lot more people who are just peaceful and open minded, and kindly towards people and animals and they don't claim to be anything. Even though their probably more of a real hippie than anyone. They don't claim to health experts either, just be kind to your body.

But then again that's just one side. I have also met some hippie types that really are like "the children of the forest". They really are peaceful, worry free, kind hearted, and really do care of their body, mind, and soul.

Also, I mean were all human, nobody is perfect and we all still get angry from time to time. Even though we might not kill or fight anyone, we still yell and scream, and get into arguments, but that is just human nature.

What is a hippie? Is it another type of religion? Does is force you to view one view while denying others? Or does it free your mind, and let you to where your own light takes you?

15. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

reality sets in, kids, cars, work, bills, war, sickness, relationships, death. But it was a great dream......:-/

16. QuietPerson

QuietPerson Member

Ah, but the other part of reality is that it often does precisely what we don't expect. Sometimes old dreams return in new forms.

17. Lodog

Lodog ¿

There was a small 60s revival in the 90s that I got into through my older sisters. They took me to grateful dead concerts and rainbow gatherings. I didn't want to be labeled though and cut my hair and only wear Tie-dyes when I'm working on a car or cutting grass. I took the music and applied it to my own situation growing up as a generation Xer.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

same here. mostly just growing up i'm sure, although i think the change was sped up by reading the crap all the 15 year old hippie wannabes used to post all over the place here (and still do occasionally).

that sounds awesome. so many women ruin their gorgeous curly hair with those things.

19. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I am one of those women that ruin their curly hair with hair straighteners. I hate my curly hair.

I am still totally an idealist at heart because every time I look at nature I realize that the natural world is so much more important than I am.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well the thing that made the sixties, i mean other then the shared experience of the struggle against militarism and for civil rights, was that it was a time of looking forward and creating the kind of world, or working to do so, that people actually wanted to live in. putting that ahead of what anyone tought of you as an individual person.

that is what made the spirit of the sixties. there hasn't been a lot of that visible here on hip forums for several decades. and i think its because a lot of people now , hadn't been born yet, and 'know' the era, only from what they've read, or seen, or been told.

some have the mistaken idea, that our way of life was so popular, we had an easier road then they would trying to live it today. nothing could be further from the case.

trying to live by honesty and at peace with your conscience, has perhaps always been a chalange. in the backwash of maccarthyism it certainly was.

the demographics of a relatively young population helped, but not all of our contemporaries were on the same page either. many, if not by far most, were not.

so the challanges today being much the same, the possibilities and opportunities, many exist and are as well.

yes i'm disappointed in this place frequently that it has fallen so far from that high ground, but not without hope in diversity being the nature, not only of existence, but of the passage of time as well.