Deciding on when to start my dreads...

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by queenofthesavages, Sep 30, 2013.

1. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

2. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Looking great.I'm wanting to get dreads but afraid of the work involved,and that in between stage where it just looks like you haven't washed your hair.I really have no idea how to go about it.I know there's lots of info here on Hip I'll have to look into it.Is twist and rip a good way?

3. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

Thanks loads! :) The work involved to be honest isn't so bad. So far I'm not disappointed. I invested in some shampoo for my dreads to make cleaning easier (Knotty Boy - 9.00 on Amazon) and I'm going through that stage right now and I can pretty well conceal it with a hat. I've been twisting and ripping a little but from what I know if you do it too much, it damages your hair. So I mostly just separate it and don't brush it and let it do it's thing :) :) good luck

4. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

5. SadieScarlett

SadieScarlett Member

They're looking really good! holding their shape well :) can't wait to see how they progress!

6. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

Much thanks ^.^ I am excited as well

7. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

8. aFoolOnaHill

aFoolOnaHill Proper Villain

Looking good.

I just had a quick read-through of the thread and wanted to say: if you're thinking about using sea salt you can also try just washing your scalp/hair with a spoonfull of baking soda. All you gotta do is dump it in an empty bottle, fill the rest with warm water, and shake it to dissolve the baking soda. Using a gatorade bottle or something with a wide mouth makes it so you don't have to muck around with a funnel. The result is that you are basically using salt water to wash your scalp. Works like a charm and you can throw in a little essential oil of whatever if that's something you dig.

I've gone back and forth between using baking soda and peppermint Bronners because I like the tingle. Dr. Bronners soap is also rad because all you need is a couple drops to get enough lather up for your whole body. It's good stuff.

9. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

Thanks for the tip! :) I've been using Knotty Boy for now which seems to be working but I'm going to use Dr. Bronners next~

10. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

11. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

12. queenofthesavages

queenofthesavages Member

It's been a little more than 2 months since I've started dreading.. what do you guys think?

13. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

i wish i could get my hair to grow like that its been like a year and a half and it just now starting to hit my shoulders in back...

need some beads :)-

14. 3 times 3

3 times 3 Member

keep taking care of them and never be compelled to back comb. it does more harm than good.

if you like them now just wait until they mature you will absolutely love em.