December Marks the 60th Anniversary of Autobiography of a Yogi

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by SvgGrdnBeauty, Jun 15, 2006.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I see no point in this.
    And I smell a rat somehwere..............

2. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

What is truly beneficial? Just because something is beneficial does not make the path to such benefits appropriate. For example, removing a tyrant is a good thing, but if in the process of removing you kill so many people and cause more injustice, it is a wrong path, and there is probably a better way to get to the solution. Ofcourse , in bhagavad Gita , Krishna tells Arjuna to fight, but before that in Mahabharata, they do so many things (to stop dhuryodhana) and the final course of action is to fight to establish dharma, they weren't looking for war, it was imposed on them. In this day and age, there are so many choices for people like bush to take in removing a very bad tyrant, there are so many peaceful methods that people like osama can adopt in order to "glorify islam and beat the western influence" , but sadly they do not want to go with them and they wish to take the easier path- the violent and corrupt path full of power. Oh well, its up to them, the fools who follow adharma (not following dharma) will surely pay the consequences whether it is in this life, or the next.- its like drinking beer, its going to ruin your liver, if you need to deal with suffering, there is a better way, chant the names of the lord, don't drink beer, make chanting names of God and wishing good for all be your beer!!!

3. BlackBillBlake

Although actually, a mouse is more likely.........a mouse where a mouse shouldn't be....

4. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

:D All creatures deserve compassion, whether mouse, rat, hyena ha.

Pray tell what type of mouse it is sir! We will catch it to shower our compassion upon it.

5. BlackBillBlake

I meant the electronic type of mouse, wielded in an illicit manner by a certain "nameless asshole" - they know who I mean.....

Anyway - although I am not a great fan of the works of Rudyard Kipling, in his novel 'Kim' he describes an interesting 'memory game'.
    A number of objects are placed on a tray, and a cloth is placed over them.
    The subject is then given 30 seconds to look while the cloth is removed, and then it is replaced and the subject has to say what was on the tray and describe the relative positions of the objects
    It's supposed to sharpen the memory - and I think it's interesting how different people do very differently in such a test. Some tend to notice the little details more than others. Perhaps it's to do with quality of attention.
    It's surprising how some who think themselves quite bright, are actually shown, by such a test for example, to be rather dull.

6. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Yep, or it has to do with ignoring stupidity of stupid people when we see them, and showering them with our compassion and reason :D , man Hindus can learn so much from buddhists.

7. BlackBillBlake

Thing is though Jedi, you can only reason with the reasonable.
    Otherwise, you get into a 'pearls before swine' scenario.

8. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

It's hard to dispense wisdom to someone who gets offended by it.

Anyway, I have two beautiful female rats, one named Indy, who is pure albino and totally sweet; and another named Stinky with a brown spot on his nose and tale who is totally cute and bad. They love to run around and run up to you when called (if they are in the mood of course) and if you eat chocolate ice cream, Stinky will climb your whole body trying to run up your arms to get to your bowl of ice cream (if you are standing). Normally, I have to give them some softened or melted ice cream (they seem to absolutely love chocolate, which is cute) if me or my girlfriend have some.

9. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Hey all~ Since it really is December and therefore the true anniversary ...I just wanted to bump this thread and give a little opportunity to read (or reread) this most amazing book:

http://reluctant-messenger.com/yogananda/chapter_01.htm

And do not worry...the original edition is in the public domain...so the site is legal. :)

10. spook13

spook13 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Nicole...I've seen the retro-look AOY before but didn't realize it was a reprint of the original. I'd like to get a hardbound copy but doesn't look like it's available except in paperback...have you seen it in hardbound?

11. SvgGrdnBeauty

12. spook13

You're referring to the reproduction 1946 edition, correct?

There are real originals out there, if you want to part with 5 grand or so for one in excellent condition. :eek:

13. SvgGrdnBeauty

lol....yes....that's what I meant...

14. BlackBillBlake

That's a lot of cash for a book. I wonder if Yoganada would be very happy about people spending this sort of money......

I have to say that IMO a person spending 5 thou. on a copy of AOY has failed to get the message.

Then again, it's all a quetion of scale - I myself recently spent £10 on a 1979 Tim Leary comic. I justify this though on the grounds that whilst a cheaper copy of AOY is easily obtainable, many of Leary's works are now extrememly hard to find, and many have not been reprinted.

15. spook13

Bill...my best friend is a rare/antiquarian book dealer. He regularly buys and sells books that go for US $1,000.00 up to several thousand $, but he hasn't hit the big time yet...there are plenty of collectors who regularly pay $10,000.00 on up for rare editions.

I paid $1,000.00 for a 3-volume set of Srila Prabhupada's original Srimad Bhagavatams...the ones that he translated and had printed in India and brought over in his steamer trunk on his first trip to the west. They needed some professional restoration and that cost an additional $500; I could very possibly sell them to a Hare Krishna temple or wealthy devotee for $5,000.00-plus now, but they're not going anywhere until my will is opened or I decide to donate them. Things like this are once in a lifetime for me...rarely do I buy a book that costs over $100, and that is maybe once every 2 or 3 years.

By the way, I got my full hardbound copy of "The Life Divine"...formidable indeed! I am going to start on it a few pages at a time and if it proves to be something I want to go all the way through I'll work on it slowly.

Don't give up on HF...just add an alias like I did and lurk around if you run out off stuff to say (that in itself is hard to envision). Through past experience, no way I can see you leaving this forum for good.

16. BlackBillBlake

I'm not knocking book collectors - I myself have sold one or two rare editions of occult books on ebay for hundreds of pounds. I'm as keen to exploit the market as anyone.
    I think I was just really once again getting into the basic inequalities in the world in economic terms.

Good luck with Sri Aurobindo. I think that the first parts of the book are perhaps the easiest. I'm sure reading his work will repay the effort.

I'll probably stick around on HF. I really can't quit on the idea that the internet provides a new form of global communication - which is really what we have here. I may well however think about your advice - I'm a bit bored with the BBB id. Maybe I will begin again with a new account. If so, I'll be sure to let my friends on here know it is me 're-incarnated'.

17. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

I think I saw this book online...but anyway , :party: for Paramahamsa Yogananda!