"Death with Dignity" Law

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by squawkers7, Jan 8, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Has anyone heard of this law? What is your opinion on it?

BRIEF HISTORY of the LAW
    The Death with Dignity Act was originally passed in 1994 through the Oregon initiative process. The law was immediately challenged in court and prevented from going into effect. As the court cases proceeded, the Oregon Legislature decided the public did not know what it was doing when it voted and decided to put the issue back on the ballot in 1997.

The Death with Dignity Center won every court challenge and on October 27, 1997, the U.S. Supreme Court denied a hearing to opponents of the law, allowing the law to go into effect just one week before the 1997 election.

In November 1997, the voters of Oregon overwhelmingly voted to support the law, by a 60%-40% margin. Support for the law has continued to increase since its implementation in 1997.

The law has been threatened by opponents at the federal level but the Death with Dignity National Center continues to work to defend and promote the law and encourage improvements to end-of-life care for all dying individuals.

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

isnt the death with dignity act, physician assisted suicide?
    yes i have heard of it,, knew it fairly well at one point in life and i agree with it personally,,, if one is terminally ill they know it doc knows it ,,,, if its what you wish then i say go for it,,,,,,, but thats just me maybe from spending too many years in and round the health care sysytem :)

3. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

1.01) Isn’t physician aid-in-dying "playing God"?
    This is the same argument that was used against surgery only a hundred years ago. Is open heart surgery "playing God"? Is using artificial birth control or getting a blood transfusion "playing God"? For some religions it is.
    Are you "playing God" when you pull the plug...or when you put it in?

Nancy Cruzan was a 32 year-old Missouri woman who was in a persistent vegetative state for seven years after an auto accident. Her folks fought all the way up to the Supreme Court to get her off artificial nutrition and hydration. Finally it was allowed. When the day came to take the tubes out, nineteen people stormed the facility to try to put the tubes back in. They were arrested and placed in jail. Now that’s "playing God"!

My mother got German measles while she was pregnant and as a result I was born with a hole in the middle of my heart. The doctors didn't expect me to celebrate my 1st birthday but obviously they were wrong and I've had 40 birthdays so far.
    I had open-heart surgery in high school.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

as far as playing "god" in the world... i think it is done way too many times in way entirely too many different ways,,,, least of which is assisted death, since i really do not agree with the term suicide either,,,

we wanna talk bout playing god,,, lets talk transplants n life support and some of the new improved(HAHA) modern day technology and not just in the medical world,,,, look how we try n mess with mother nature and its fiery wrath,,, look what we do in science world and space,,, look at cloning for christ sake,,,, ,,, that too me is playin god,,, not helpin someone die that is already well on their way to dying,,,

5. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

I agree with the theory of Dying with Dignity, but I can also see where it can get sticky. I think it's perfectly fine as long as the person in question can actually make their wishes known. If they're not able to communicate, and hadn't made their wishes known previously, then I think it gets a lot harder to make the call. If a person wants to decide, for themselves, that they're too ill and in pain to live, then more power to them. But I think there are bad people out there who would abuse this... and we'd end up with murder. You've read about them I'm sure, they call themselves Angels of Mercy?