death sentence?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by GOB1029, May 25, 2004.

1. grendel 44

grendel 44 Dazed and Confused

I used to be soooo against the death penalty, I still do not like it and do not think we or our government have the right to take a life. However, as I have gotten older and the actual DEATH part of it is usually more humane now, I think there are cases where it is appropriate. Pol Pot killed more people in Cambodia than Hitler, however,he was placed under house arrest and died in his own home of natural causes. HE should have been executed I think.

RA: Here we go again, I agree with you but "taking em out and haning em" is a bit barbaric to me.

2. Philly_Hippie17

Philly_Hippie17 Member

who isnt against it, i wish the goverment who find better ways to spend money then waste it on another man/women life:(

3. Real American

Real American Banned

Executions used to be public to be used as an example. I think it worked. I think the reason they stoped being public is because the way things had changed. There was no more "buying the rope" when it became "flipping the switch". It may seem barbaric, but hanging is actualy quicker than lethal injection or the electric chair, and in my opinion a lot better than say the gas chamber.

4. Republican

Republican Banned

yea one thing we need to do is make inmates raping eachother not the thing that makes people want to not go to jail... the but rape is rediculas.... and I doubt it costs more to give 'em the death penalty than life in prison where did u hear that? I seriously doubt that.. and if so we should just start shooting people screw being humane... we need to save money.. (lol im kidding.. kinda... I just intend to not go to prison...)

and about letting god judge them when u say "My god" you one dont understand that almost all religions have the same god... (Allah.. God... what ever u wanna call Him...) and almost all religions have a missiah(sp?) or are wainting for one... well i see this... Im a Christian.. I just belive it hapend that way.. all religions are just diffrent versions of the truth... IMHO... and Im shure im right.. but u can belive what u want... I just think all that is important is that u have a religion u should choose.... we are given the fredom of religion not the fredom of religion... I dont care if ur one of those people who says that science solves it all but what made science... what started the "Big bang" and why does it matter that evolution proves we all evolved from a common ancestor.. whos to say God didn't start it off? some people are too narow minded.. Its not my god it is GOD... he belongs to us all and what ever we belive dosn't mean shit.. if no religion is atleast based in fact.. If we have no maker.. and were alone than why is it worth living? thats all I want to know... Im no religion nut.. i only go to curch on easter and christmass.... im a CEO(easter and christmas only..)... all I'm saying is life serves no purpose if were alone.. thats too depressing..

but thanks fr respecting my opinion I respect yours.. this is america and thats the great thing... we have the right to think what we want! dont u love it lol..

5. Philly_Hippie17

Philly_Hippie17 Member

God Forgives Man............

But Man cant forgive Man :p

Everybody believes in the Same God, they just have diffrent opions( sp) on Faith,

God judges everybody as the Same, We are all his Children, So my throught is what gives man (Human ) to judge another Man if he could live or die , what gives him the right just because he works in the court system, Its all b.s

Say if a man kils another man, why kill him, he is gonna have to suffer the rest of his life on his conscience( sp) my spelling sucks, Its gonna Eat at him till the day he dies, LET GOD JUDGE , not human man

6. Real American

Real American Banned

So what gives us the right to put someone in jail? If you are going to question why they have a right to execute someone, you need also ask why they are allowed to jail someone. I have your answer, because it is the law. Without law we would have chaos. If all you ever do is tell a child no, the child will learn that the worse that will happen to him/her is they will be told no. The execution is a form of punishment. More extreme yes than say a spanking, however, it is still a punishment.

7. HippyLex

HippyLex Member

In September I had a friend who was stabbed and beaten to death by a man who had served 20 years in jail for raping a 10 yr old boy :(...I don't always agree with death sentence.. but somehow this sicko got let out of jail?? That is messed up to me, and I am furious about it. The priest who was giving this sick man therapy said he was okay to be let out, and the priest had been having sexual relations with the murderer. I really do believe that this system needs to be fixed. My feelings on the death pen. are on the fence, esp. if the person was innocent the whole time. Such a tough topic, but I am interested in what others have said so far! * peace and love! *

8. Real American

Real American Banned

Off topic here...HippyLex, one word...Beautiful.

9. neoteny

neoteny Member

I don't have the source off the top of my head, but I can find it for you if you'd like. The reason it is so expensive is generally due to the appeals process which all of the cases must go through.

10. Republican

Republican Banned

It actualy wouldn't suprise me.. I doubt it but yet agen It wouldn't suprise me.. lol
    srry for asking fort source im just too used to doing it in Model UN and debate lol :p ..
    the way I see it no one likes the death penalty but sometimes they kinda diserve it... true i feal bad because it makes me think about how i vallue life.. and it seems kinda like abortion.. no one is 100% right all the time.. im pro-life.. but sumtimes it may be neccisary to abort... It sounds terrible but is sometimes true... Its the same w/ the death penalty.. noone is correct 100% of the time..

11. neoteny

neoteny Member

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=108&scid=7
    That website has some information. Just so it can be noted, I realize that specific site does seem to be against capital punishment. However, I would imagine that the same information could be found on sites neutral to the issue as well (those are not as easy to come by, however). I figure if you care enough then you can dig around for the statistics.
    I guess I just view things differently than you do. I do not think it is anyone's place to determine whether or not another person deserves to die.

12. Republican

Republican Banned

Like I said i dont think capitol punishment is always a good idea.. just sometimes what should be done..

13. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I don't believe in it... I'd like to think that we can heal people through a prison system to get them back into functioning society. We just have to fix the prison system to improve its psychological treatment of inmates.

14. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I agree that is the ultimate goal. Though by improve the psychological treatment, it really means start some, since rehabilitation is virtually a non issue from what I have learned. The prison is there to keep them away from us as long as possible, and as punishment.
    I am all for capital punishment, under certain conditions. Only for repeat convictions of first degree murder, which would certainly make innocent executions very rare. And that it be carried out humanely, and expeditiously, with a maximum time period from conviction to death of maybe a year? No more for sure....I was going to say a month.

But, preferably, I would like to see your suggestion implemented, and someday see prisons gone altogether.

15. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

So, uh, God Bless America, but fuck everyone else?
    No thanks.

16. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Originally Posted by tuesdayafternoon
    God bless the USA, Please!!
    So, uh, God Bless America, but fuck everyone else?
    No thanks.
    God, just do whatever the hell you want, k?
    I can just imagine how tired of whiney snivellers you must be.
    Please do this, please do that, I'd have gone bonkers eons ago.
    Thy will be done.
    Thank you.
    Amen.

that is my prayer....

17. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Not sure I understand what you're saying.
    I'd rather we all say "God Bless This World" than God Bless Amerika.
    That phrase makes me sick.

18. spooner

spooner is done.

i'm kinda of the belief that the prison system should be for rehabilitation and not punishment. that kind of makes the death penalty a little bit useless.

19. purplesage

purplesage Ah, fuck it...

In my country capital punishment is illegal so that's where I'm coming from on this issue. I think capital punishment is wrong.

20. peaceful chaos

peaceful chaos Member

i strongly disagree with the death sentence for a few reasons one reason is that no one has the right to take another persons life because any one person is as entitled to live life as the next and the other reason is because the governments involved in the death sentences seem to look past the fact that they have killed numerous innocent people in there wars against other countrys and settlements