death sentence?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by GOB1029, May 25, 2004.

1. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

2. metro

metro self-banned

I appreciate your perspective, and thanks for clarifying, so many people imply that prison is worse than death.
    I don't feel super strongly about the death penalty. Another thing though, prisoners can escape...that's a risk to consider.
    You say killing is wrong under any circumstance, do you really mean that? I hate to come up w/tons of senarios, but if your life is endangered or someone else's, or how about assisted suicide?
    I know an eye for an eye is simple and seems barbaric, but I just think it's fair. Of course I mean when applied justly. I know there are flaws, but if those could be worked out, then I support it. I've wrestled w/these thoughts much in my own head, but I always end up supporting capital punishment.

3. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

Yes, I believe that killing is wrong no matter what. Even if it became a personal issue to me like if a family member was murdered. I would WANT to kill the murderer guy myself actually and yeah, I would want him dead. But that would be out of anger and emotion and that doesnt make it okay. Knowing though, that he would be spending his whole life in jail, never to be able to do it again, and would have to live the rest of his days out in a stinky hell hole where the guys arent very friendly (or too friendly;)), that would be the right thing. He is punished, he is put away, and I do not feel as if I had done to him and his family the same horrible thing he did to me. I have risen above it and there is something to be said for that. That is just my feeling on that. The chance that he might escape would be minimal and not enough to steer me away from my conviction. As far as assisted suicide....I am not against that. If someone wants to take their life....who am I to argue? It is not my life....they can do what they please.However, I dont feel that the state should be responsible for that. If a prisoner want to take death over life in prison they should seek a doctor and be assisted in that manner. But since assisted suicde in this country is outlawed....that presents a problem. But I think that law is bullshit to begin with as are many stupid goverment enforced laws. And as far as the flaws in the system being worked out, it is a nice thought, but I dont think there will never be a time when flaws are not prevelant. So, with that said.....I just think everyone should be considered because if it was me in that courthouse being wrongly convicted....I would stand a better chance with life in prision then the death penalty, ya know? GEEZ! I have really rambled. Ok, I will shut up now. :)

4. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

please dont shut up. you guys are having a good, civil disscussion. im enjoying it very much. its like cnn without the assholes.....;)

5. metro

metro self-banned

OK, I just watched the movie Monster and I'm not sure how I feel about capital punishment now...has anyone else seen this movie? It's based on a true story, I don't think she should have been executed. However, someone like Jeffrey Dahmer or a child molester that kills his victims, they should be executed imo. Is it wrong for me to have exceptions? ahhhh, I'm confused[​IMG].

6. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

I dont agree with death penalty.. Its the same thing as the guy or gurl getting fried shit...murder is murder and ERRRrrr srry haa

peace
    chickens

7. GOB1029

GOB1029 Member

as many of you have said, assisted suicide is illegal in the u.s., so it wouldnt work. well, murder is illegal in the u.s., but the gov. does it all the time. the death penalty is wrong and barbaric. however, as my father has said, "the root of all our problems is sin" and that is very true. if people did not want for themselves, we wouldnt have problems. the only reason the death penalty exists is so the people that knew the victim can obtain some satisfaction by seeing their friend's murderer murdered. sort of like the phrase, "have a taste of your own medicine". alas, humanity is such, and will most likely remain the same.

8. Trixie

Trixie Member

the topic is somewhat hard to form an opinion on, considering all the variables, it is purely circumstantial. for example, hitler, he killed thousands of innocent people, genocide, war crimes etc..i'm sure a lot of people would give the thumbs up to put him to death (if he was alive at the present time, hypothetically speaking). some would say give him life in prison, no parole, let him live out the last of his days with the guilt..., although, IMO, someone such as himself wouldnt possess much guilt, considering the things he has done. even in a maximum security prison there are still luxuries, (ie. television, books, access to education and money, telephone etc..) although there are the very negative points of prison..i'm sure everyone has an idea...
    there is also the fact to consider, about those innocent people (charged with crimes they have never commited) who have been put to death, via the electric chair, lethal injection.., dying in their innocence, what a terrible thing. (talk about bad karma)
    also, there is the retribution factor, that 'closure' , for the people involved, wanting justice..(ie. families or friends of a victim)...which i'm sure helps to ease a lot of people's pain.
    i am so torn on this issue, considering the cirumstances. i believe it is immoral to kill someone, although with the choices that some people make they are kind of asking for the bitter end. as far as the whole 'choice' option goes, i dont think serial killers and rapists should have that luxury of choosing their own punishment, for the people who want to die, and cant live with the overwhelming guilt of their actions, they should be forced to live with it in prison until the end of his/her days. as far as some heartless people go, sometimes taking their lives serves as not only a tragic lesson for them, but for society as well. if fear could stop crime (but that's the beginning of a whole new discussion)...
    i also just recently watched the movie monster, and you can somewhat see the psychology behind what she had done...i think perhaps if we kept criminals alive and learned more about them and their actions, we could save a lot of lives, as well as maybe helping some very disturbed people. (but then again prisons are over populated,and that would cost money)...i feel some kind of twisted sympathy for wournos,...quite a tragic end. i think with the right attitude and a deeper look into people we could avoid the death penalty completely. of course killing someone for killing is immoral and unjust. but people should know their consequences , before they commit the action. do u think there is still sparks of hope in even the lowest most evil criminals?...i suppose it all depends on the person and how deeply one looks into their past and their minds, their reasons, their nature, their environment, etc...and how badly they feel, if at all. locking a criminal away, i believe is good for now, but i think there needs to be better more efficent rehabilitation programs, psychiatric programs, more punishment than a slap on the wrist...

9. Kitaro

Kitaro Member

Never! ​
    So many hate... the outlwas are people as well. They also have a family. Everybody comits mistakes. Even if he did on purpose, even if he does not understand why is it wrong, we should never kill him. He will, someday, understand why was that wrong. Even a serial killer may have the opportunity to, at 99, say: «jesus, what the fuck have I done in the past!» ​
    Why revenge? Will you gain anything with that? Will it bring your family, friends, people you know, back? No... it will only cause hate and pain. ​
    We gotta learn how to live with everybody, find our own happiess. believe me, killing won't give you a thing, unless you're a nazi. Even if you are, I won't hate you. One of my best friends is a nazi. It's sad but true... ​

10. Republican

Republican Banned

I think the death sentence is sometimes the onlything we can do to someone to make them pay.. by killing them we give them to God to be sentenced..

Often the deathpenilty is tooo much but sometimes its justified..

11. Kitaro

Kitaro Member

I'm sorry, don't want to be offensive, but what if I don't believe your God is going to judge a person that I also respect? And pay what? Why that revenge?
    I'm sorry, I just think that's a bit unhuman, but it's ok, we all have our opinion. :)

12. neoteny

neoteny Member

With all of the appeals and everything totalled, it costs much more to execute someone than to put them in prison for life. I am against the death penalty. I believe prison is a much better option. However, I also have major issues with the prison system in the United States. It definitely needs a great deal of reform.

13. spacecadet

spacecadet Guest

I don't know about the death penalty. What if someones running around a festival killing people and he gets round to someone and is just about to kill them when the almost victim kills him? What do you say? "Aw you shouldn't have done that we could have changed him?" The almost victim is still alive but the madman is killed and probably many people are still alive because of it. In the end it's kill or be killed and I think that is the basis of the death penalty. Do you let people run around killing people indefinately just because? Who would you rather have dead, one killer or many innocent, peaceful victims?

14. neoteny

neoteny Member

Obviously I want to save as many lives as possible. However, we do have jails for a reason (even if that reason has been distorted by our government).

15. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

Hmmm, I don't know about claiming that the death sentence is self defence! i mean, killing in self defence is something completely different. The death sentence is cold, calculated killing.

16. Real American

Real American Banned

I support the death penalty. You might believe this to be some hipocracy because I am a Christain. However, my views and beliefs come from The Bible and from hours and praying. True, Moses was given the 10 commandments and one of those was "Thou shalt not kill". However, just shortly after, he smashed those commandments, and then led the people around for 40 years in the poorest hardest conditions possable. Many people died because of this.

In The Bible we are commanded to follow the laws of the land. We are commanded to respect our government and their rules. The executioner is protected in The Bible. As he is just doing his job given to him by the government.

Yes it is sad if an innocent person dies. The fact that we are human and make mistakes makes this inevitable

As far as life in prison vs death, well, I have opinions on this as well. Of course life in prison wont be the greatest. You will have to deal with the truely evil men/women in there. Do something wrong and you may be killed and several oher examples. Then again, you are alive and not dead. Your meals will come to you daily, guaranteed. You have the ability of working out, watching tv and visitors(depending on your crime of course).

My ending point is this. I support the death penalty. In fact, do it in public on a tree. That's right, hang them.

17. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

LOL! I was raised christian, and still believe many things that jesus taught. I know there are many christians on these boards, so don't give me that!!! I honestly don't wantto highjack this thread, but I just have one thing to say about this. Many of the things that Jesus did opposed his gorvernment.

Do you really believe that your god wants you to blindly follow your government simply because they say so?

18. lover/young_peace

I don't believe in the Bible... so that doen't apply to me, really. Separation of Church and State.

Really, people have the right to belive whatever religoin they chose, it can be very benificial... but the governmnet must have nothing to do with any religion or else it ends up favoring one and eliminates a person's freedom of religion.

Ok, I'm hoping that came out correctly... really religions can be good and bad it's different for every individual, but the government should have nothing to do with religion. It's hard to seperate often, but we have to do our best to ensure the separation between Church and State is absoulute.

~~rock on.

19. Real American

Real American Banned

Umm folks, this thread is about the death sentence and if we support it or not and why. I posted my reasons for supporting it. This tread is not about seperation from state and church. Lunar forest, if you would like to argue with me on my beliefs, start a thread about it.

20. lover/young_peace

sorry I didn't mean to get off-topic. If it interferes with someone's religion, or goes along with a person's religion is fine, but you can't use that reason, say, in Congress, or if we to....

wait , you know what, you're right. we're not changing the governmnet here, we're just talking. The government doen't give a damn about this discussion, it's just about you're personal reasons and opionions. Okay, I stand coected. Bring in religion if it floats your boat.

Sorry... nevermind.
    ~~peace.~~