death sentence?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by GOB1029, May 25, 2004.

1. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I have no idea who OBL is, so I have no clue what you are referring to.

OHHH, Osama Bin Laden, he should definitely be killed so we never learn all the secret knowledge he posesses. They should just kill terrorists on the spot to egg the other terrorists on, making a martyr of them. They donĀ“t even need to prove them guilty!

Seriously though, i totally understand why people would want to execute him, and other violent offenders, I just think we should be above all of that and abstain, breaking the cycle of violence and the eye for an eye mentality.

2. Megara

Megara Banned

i'll take that as sarcasm....but of course they should try them first. We are based on the rule of law after all.

3. Acorn

Acorn Member

i agree with gob on this. but im not sure about people like osomma, hitler, sadam, people who toture and kill many people. im like 90% against it, but then theres that 10%.....

4. PsyChOStaLk3r

PsyChOStaLk3r Member

i thought we were talking about the death sentence, ITS SO WRONG!

ITS FUCKING MURDER!!

5. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

When they give people a death sentence they are just contradicting themselves

6. /|\

/|\ Member

the death penalty just isnt hip...

7. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

Not for the death penalty. No one has the right to kill another human being no matter what the circumstance. It sickens me.

8. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I do not agree with the death penality. But from my own experiences I can see why some people do. Some people I know were involved in a murder trial and because I knew them well I was involved too as a character witness. One of them was a close friend and the others were not. And I didn't have the nicest things to say about the two that were not my friends. One in particular I knew to be a violent person and I said so. And there were others in the same situation as me...saying things about him that would piss him off. So, during the trial I started feeling scared because I did know that he's dangerous and I'd pissed him off. And the jail he was in intercepted some threatening letters he was trying to send to me. So, I was very worried that he'd get out and come looking for me and the other people involved. As it turned out he was found guilty and he got the death penalty. And though I do not agree with it in general, in this case I cannot help but feel relief that he cannot hurt me or anyone else ever again. So, to me it is a difficult thing...I don't think we should have the death penality, but when things hit close to home like that then its a different story.

9. GOB1029

GOB1029 Member

again, my views are highly influence seeing as how i know that Jesus exists, but, like... somebody said that they felt relieved after someone they said bad things about in court received the death penalty. but, to me, yah, i don't want to die, but i'm not afraid of death, because i know i'm good with God and Jesus, and i know that heaven is a heck of a lot better than earth, so basically, getting killed would sort of speed up the process, but i still wanna live so i can go to other countries and help them see what they could be (i.e. china) and try to change lives, influence people to see that they shouldn't follow orders their whole life, that they have their own minds. whoah... sorry about getting off subject. anyways, i think the death sentence is wrong, but i heard someone say something about a person probably liking the death sentence better than life in prison anyways. another thought i had while in french class (we were discussing this once) i think the person should have a choice. if they want to be killed, they should be allowed to say so, and that action carried out, but i do not believe that it should be forced upon someone without their consent. make any sense?:confused:

10. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

yeah i like the choice idea better than forced.... aint that suicide though??

11. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

Yeah, I think that if they gave a choice they would have to change the assisted suicide laws, which they're not going to do.....

I think killing is wrong, I just don't see how anyone can justify taking someone's life. I mean, what gives us the right to decide that?

12. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

****said at the risk of looking like a dumbass, (oh wait... to late :D )******

whats up with assissted suicide laws? like, can you explain taht some?

i mean assissted suicide, like if i wanted you to shoot me i begged of you to do it, and you did, could you still be put in jail for murder?

sorry im so ignorant on this stuff. its my opionion that the law should be simplifyed so everyone could understand it well.... but then a lot of lawyers would no longer have jobs......

13. metro

metro self-banned

Well, my opinion will be unpopular here, but I am for the death penalty. I understand that it needs adjusting so it will not be racist and reduce the chance of killing an innocent person, BUT, with DNA testing and such, there are a lot of cases that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The earth is way overpopulated now, I think we can get rid of people who murder. I don't believe in God, so I don't believe "justice" will be served in the "afterlife" as some of you guys do. Murders, child molesters, etc. make me sick, get rid of them.

14. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Metro, you mention that the earth is overpopulated, and such and such. As much as we know there are despicable people on the people, the death penalty is not a good way of removing them. There are people plenty are despicable people who aren't murderers, rapists, so should we used the death penalty on them?

Is the world a better place with the death penalty?

15. metro

metro self-banned

I believe there are other instances where the death penalty could be used. Say someone killed the last individual animal of an endangered species, I think they deserve death. They ended an entire species.

I'm not talking about someone who killed a person in self defense or accidently either, just cold-blooded murderers.

What is despicable about these other people you mention? Can you give examples?

16. Teeka

Teeka Member

When I was young I did not believe in the death sentence. But as I got older I have become accepting of it. People who take a life on purpose she lose their lifes too. Why should we as citizens pay their room and board for the rest of their lifes? They don't work. What after their is no death penelity. They get life and a free ride on us I don't want to pay for anything but their injection. I know this sounds hard, we all have the right of having our own thoughts.

17. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Metro, some of the despicable people I think are the governments who have enslaved and opressed people (like South Africa's). And those who destroy the earth for their material gain.

Teeka, did I ever say you didn't have the right to your own thought?

Actually, trials with the possibilty of capital punishment are much more expensive than those without. Life in prison is a bigger punishment than lethal injection because the prisoner will have to live with guilt, and there prisons in this world where life is no picnic. And the death penalty has never been a deterrent to crime.

18. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

It's counterproductive. Killing to end killing?

19. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

mmmm....I wouldnt say jail is a "free ride". I have a friend who was in a minimal security prison and that was bad enough let alone a maximum security one where the murderers would be going. It is hell. But it is no more our right as a state or as a people to kill a person just as it was never their right to kill in the first place. It is just inhumane to kill for any reason. It is sort of (but not exactly) like a mother who yells at her son to stop beating up on the youngest child. And when he does then she punishes him by beating up on him. It is just the most blatent contradiction ever! But then again.....America is a country that thrives on contradiction....so why would the death penalty be any different? *rolls eyes*

20. metro

metro self-banned