Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toecutter, Aug 11, 2021.

?

Should there be a death penalty?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Jury recommends death for David Ware

The jury recommended the death penalty for David Ware. The recommendation was made Wednesday night after three hours of deliberation.

The recommendation comes down for Ware first-degree murder conviction for shooting and killing Tulsa Police Sgt. Craig Johnson at a traffic stop in June 2020.

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So. They've just arrested a 14 year old boy that killed and then raped a 10 year old girl. He stated that that was his intention when he invited her for a walk in the woods. Now 14 is too young to be executed. What will happen here is that he will be jailed as a juvenile until 18 and then be released to potentially kill again , or he will be tried as an adult and jailed for 15 or 20 years and then be released to potentially kill again. Now, what should society do with those born as psychopaths? Is there or could there be a test that could determine the future actions of those that commit such heinous crimes? What should be done with such a person?

Toecutter likes this.
  3. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Just was reading about this earlier today,

Lily Peters was strangled, sexually assaulted by 14-year-old

The teen appeared remotely for a hearing in Chippewa County, Wis. from a juvenile detention center and was only identified by his initials. He was ordered held on $1 million cash bond.

“He punched the victim in the stomach, knocked her to the ground, essentially strangled her, hit her with a stick, before strangling her to the point of death — before he then sexually assaulted her,” Chippewa County District Attorney Wade Newell said during the hearing.

4. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

The incarcerated are seen regularly by mental health professionals for evaluation.

5. scratcho

Hmmm---I respectfully doubt that. I think of prison as more just the warehousing of inmates for money, particularly the private ones.

6. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I can not comment on private prisons,

7. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Each inmate is assigned various programs according to their needs, drug addiction, schooling, college, vocational training etc

Most of the incarcerated do not have a GED,

Classes dealing with the crimes they are in prison for etc.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  8. GeorgeCarlinFan

GeorgeCarlinFan Members

No, for many reasons.

scratcho and granite45 like this.
  9. zer0

zer0 Members

I'm 100% against judicial murder. Always have been, always will be.

The issue of capital punishment is a tangle of 2 unrelated questions.

A) Should some humans cease to exist?
    B) Should humans be allowed to righteously kill others?

My answer to A is yes, I wish many, many humans would drop dead. Bolt of lightning or choking on their own face would be great.
    My answer to B is an absolute NO. Just because we wish someone didn't exist for crossing popular morality, that doesn't give us the right to hypocritically torture or kill them back. To condone capital punishment is the equivalent of saying "Ok, murder is fine if the majority agrees on it." And that shit is fucked up.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    granite45 likes this.
  10. scratcho

Respectfully disagree with B. The motherfucker that raped a two year old should not be able to exist past that. I don't just wish him dead--I'd kill him myself. I admit that I may not be as civilized as I should be. I'll live with that. I agree with A.

Toecutter likes this.
  11. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

12. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

If Smith would have been given the death penalty, he would not have been able to murder again.

Donna Payant - Wikipedia

Donna Payant née Collins (March 22, 1950 – May 15, 1981) was a New York state corrections officer who was murdered while on duty at Green Haven Correctional Facility.[1] She was one of 50 women serving as guards at Green Haven Correctional Facility.

After his two murder convictions, Smith confessed to two other killings, but prosecutors had declined to try him since he was already in prison. For killing Officer Payant, Smith was convicted of murder for the third time. He was sentenced to death on June 10, 1983. In 1984, his sentence was commuted to life in prison when the death penalty was found to be contrary to New York's constitution. As of 2016, Payant was the sole female correctional officer in New York State to die in the line of duty.

13. scratcho

And that fuck Richard Speck that killed those eight nurses.:mad: I saw video of him IN PRISON smoking dope and having a great old time. ( for some reason, I never forgot the name of the nurse that hid under the bed and survived--Corazon Amurao.)

Toecutter likes this.
  14. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Richard Speck - Wikipedia

Richard Benjamin Speck (December 6, 1941 – December 5, 1991) was an American mass murderer who killed eight student nurses in their South Deering, Chicago residence via stabbing, strangling, slashing their throats, or a combination of the three on the night of July 13–14, 1966. One victim was also raped prior to her murder. A ninth potential victim, student nurse Corazon Amurao, escaped Speck's detection by hiding beneath a bed.

Convicted of all eight murders on April 15, 1967, Speck was sentenced to death. His sentence was later commuted to eight consecutive terms of life imprisonment in 1972.[2]

Speck died of a heart attack while incarcerated at Stateville Correctional Center in December 1991 at the age of 49.

In May 1996, Chicago television news anchor Bill Kurtis received video tapes made at Stateville Correctional Center in 1988 from an anonymous attorney. Showing them publicly for the first time before the Illinois state legislature, Kurtis pointed out the explicit scenes of sex, drug use, and money being passed around by prisoners, who seemingly had no fear of being caught. In the center was Speck, performing oral sex on another inmate,[57][58] sharing a large quantity of cocaine with another inmate, parading in silk panties, sporting female-like breasts (allegedly grown using smuggled hormone treatments), and boasting: "If they only knew how much fun I was having, they'd turn me loose."[57] The Illinois legislature packed the auditorium to view the two-hour video,[57] but stopped the screening when the tape showed Speck performing oral sex on another man.

scratcho likes this.
  15. Focus136

Focus136 Members

I like the American way...
    Sentence them to death...
    Lock them up for 30 years...
    Then execute them...

16. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Bike Week killings: Prosecutors to seek death against Jean Macean

The State Attorney’s Office will seek the death penalty against a man accused of killing a Daytona Beach couple as they returned home on their bicycles after a night of Bike Week festivities, according to a press release.

Jean R. Macean, 32, of Orlando, was indicted on March 29 by a grand jury on two counts of first-degree murder with a weapon while acting with premeditation in the killings of Terry Aultman, 48, and Brenda Aultman, 55, according to the indictment.

scratcho likes this.
  17. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

He was sentenced to death in 1998, his sentence was overturned 3 times reinstated in 2020.

Carman Deck executed for 1996 murders

BONNE TERRE, Mo. (KCTV) - Carman Deck was executed Tuesday night for the 1996 murders of a De Soto, Missouri couple.

According to the Missouri Department of Corrections, Deck was put to death by lethal injection and pronounced dead at 6:10 p.m. Tuesday. He is the fifth person to be executed in the state in the last six years.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    scratcho likes this.
  18. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind. Personally i follow the principle of ahimsa, better for you and the world.

19. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Arizona puts inmate Clarence Dixon to death in state's first execution in 8 years

An Arizona man convicted in the slaying of a college student more than 40 years ago was put to death Wednesday in the state's first execution since 2014.

A bid to spare the life of Clarence Dixon, 66, failed in the courts as his defense lawyers argued that it would be unconstitutional to kill Dixon because he was mentally unfit and unable to understand. His lawyers said Dixon had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, suffered from hallucinations and was blind and in frail health.

20. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/tulsa-county-judge-sentences-david-ware-to-death

TULSA, Okla. — A judge upheld a jury's recommendation on giving a death sentence for David Ware on Friday.

This comes weeks after a jury found him guilty on all counts and recommended the death penalty for Ware.

Ware was on trial for shooting Tulsa Police Sgt. Craig Johnson and Officer Aurash Zarkeshan during a June 2020 traffic stop. Johnson died in the shooting and Zarkeshan went through several months of treatment and rehabilitation due to his injuries.