death metal

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by jesikhaviolet, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

yes, i am :p

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Well that totally disarmed me:p Fairplay man....

3. Ellie-Rose

Ellie-Rose Le Muppet

I remember when I went to see Sepultura at Brixton once :eek:

4. Jaz Delorean

actually... i'll be back in this thread with a band that CAN do that :p
    they even have a trombonist too... (and no, it's not ska - it's metal)

anyone like Dillinger Escape Plan? i've been listening more to them recently...

5. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

what i mean is songwriting lies in what people like. so what most people like is obviously the best... sort of. cheesy pop isn't my music of choice, but its good from the point of view of it gets people to like it.

the next way that songwriting lies is in that amazingly intricate way of the romantic orchestral period. that's pretty good. i must also say trance is very well composed. i didn't say rock isn't talented, i say death metal isn't. some fine musicians are out there: that's why we have guitar legends.

i just think death metal is ridiculously incomprehensible. i know people in death metal bands, who have admitted its a load of crap, but play it cos its the music they like the sound of, and they like to play it, which i have no quarrel with. its just all too similar. take the distortion off the guitars, and all songs are the same, just with varying pitches of screamed lyrics

6. boog

boog A square peg

i disagree with it all being to simmalar
    its like saying all rap sounds the same.
    give me a few diff grindcore and ill be able to tell you when one band ends and the other begin.
    i'v been listening tyo lots of niose kinds shit for ages so that may explain why i can see the differences it seems they are more drum based than guitar based.
    hermafrodit and carnival of coal play lots of jazz and odd distortions in a fucked up mr bungle deathcore :) kinda way
    and SMES (i think) play a mostly free form kinda way when live (although i dont understand a word of japanese)
    theres nothing more i hate more than a band that sound perfect. i like the bits of roughness that give a band soul.
    just cos its played really well and everything is perfect does not make it a worthwhile song.
    intense hammer rage are kind of random in a dillenger escape plan way but are much more fun.
    am getting recently into the more gabba influenced "death" metal gut, libido airbag,and other little bands that tend to use dance beats with guitar kinda of monotonous thrumm in the background with the usual nasty vocals. Most entertaining

i personally think all country music sounds the same. just cos iv never really givin it enough intrest to listen to much.
    but i feel better for that :)

7. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Death Metal isn't something I'm all that crazy about either, maybe I just haven't heard enough of it to distinguish, but it all sounds rather samey to me. But I suppose the same could be said of many genres, really.

I used to go to a metal night at a local pub, mainly because all my friends did, and one thing that can be said for it, it rocks folks' sock's :)

It was generally always a mad night, filled with jack daniels and seat moshing. Nowadays there's a club in Newcastle I go to the odd time, again with friends who dig it more, but same can be said, madness.

I just couldn't come home afterwards and stick more metal on. Metal at home, on your own, I couldn't stand.

(Edit: Sorry boog, didn't catch your last post...)

8. mart_182

mart_182 Member

i dont know if it qualifies as death metal but lamb of god are amazing. death metal is like any other genre of music, some bands that play it are going to be crap and others are going to be fantastic

9. Jaz Delorean

i agree :p it's like that with everything.... you gotta search for the good stuff. it's like that with gigs, too.

10. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

Chimera fucking rule, although there lyrical depth does in this instance leave a lot to be desired...although it does save on beating round the bush...think about it

11. Jaz Delorean

they get their point across, obviously ;)

12. all_rhodesian_reject

prefeckingcisally...oh and chimara aren't death metal...and its true lamb of god are amazing...still the name makes me uncomfortable

13. Jaz Delorean

14. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

Death metal goes waaaaay beyond a mere "I hate you", and indeed chimaira is nu-metal, which is an abomination upon the musical industry.
    Especially Vader and Behemoth have quite a lot of philosophy in their lyrics. And then there's the hyper-intelligent lyrics by bands like Mortician and Cannibal Corpse ("Fucked with a knife", "Butchered at birth", "Chainsaw dismemberment", you get the drift. ;))

Some favourite death metal bands of mine are Hypocrisy, Vader, Incantation, God Dethroned, Morbid Angel, newer Behemoth, Death, and older Amorphis.

Still... doom and especially black metal over death metal any day! :)

15. hailtothekingbaby

No.

First, the typical death metal vocal style is grunting, not screaming.

Second, there is a lot of variety within death metal, among bands as well as among songs from the same band. To me, all country, soul, r&b and hiphop sounds the same too - it just depends on what you're used to.

Of course some bands ARE in fact playing only for maximum brutality, but I think there's plenty of bands which offer true talent.

16. Mui

Mui Senior Member

If you saw them on MTV, they aren't death metal.

17. all_rhodesian_reject

Because using a name with ties to christianity like that for a band like that makes me uncomfortable...i just don't feel right with it

18. hailtothekingbaby

The name "Lamb of God" makes you uncomfortable? My, you're sensitive. I could spend hours making a list with names touching christianity on a much less neutral manner... Judas Iscariot, Rotting Christ, Heaven Defiled, Satanic Warmaster... the list is neverending. And then we wouldn't even have discussed the track titles. What fun! ^_^

19. all_rhodesian_reject

Bro,

Its a matter of personal preference...i don't like names which are insulting towards christianity...hence me avoiding bands with such names...simple really

20. hailtothekingbaby

Loud and clear, sergeant.

But since I listen to everything as long as I like the music, no matter what the message (and sometimes the message gets really bad even to my standards), I didn't expect anyone to be actually offended by something as innocent to me as "Lamb of God".

Sorry for the offensive band names I mentioned (though I can imagine you thinking I wrote those to insult you further, logical though not true), but at least you caught a glimpse of what awaits beyond thee darcke portals of the (semi-)underground.

By the way, Hanson are really cool. I had Mmmbop on at school like all the time and it makes me so happy and everyone thinks they're shit and roll their eyes when I tell them I'm not listening to some obscure black metal band but Hanson, I don't know but damn that song is nice, really uplifting. :)