Dealing with Regrets

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Amethyst87F, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

Do you have any advice about dealing/getting over/not being bothered by regrets?

I've learned that learning from one's regrets, forgiving one's self, and then not repeating them again is the way to move on from them. (I don't think the forgiving part is always crucial).

I do think that forgetting one's regrets can be a good was to move on. 'Keeping one's mind off the regrets they are trying to get over could work too.

I know I've heard that some people can take their stories of regret and use them to help/teach each other.

2. I just don't deal with things like that. I think the best thing, though, is to be tolerant of others. When you know you're a reliable friend in your heart, it doesn't leave much room for regrets on your own behalf. I've screwed up, but the past is the past. We are all learners...regret, to me, seems to stem from other people not fully understanding this. People make mistakes. You have to have a sense of humor, laugh about it, or everything will fall apart.

3. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

use past mistakes for future learning

regret is a useless emotion because whats done is done.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Regret is a word we use to describe those times when we were really having fun. But yeah, drop it. Move on. Let God deal with it.

5. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Learning from your mistakes is the best medicine.

Plus, also being mindful of the fact that you are both fallible & mutable in your approach to the difficulties and adversity life will inevitably through at you.

6. xrunnerdude

xrunnerdude Members

My thoughts:

Don’t live in the past. Most likely you can’t change what was done, and beating yourself up over it or worrying is a waste of energy best used elsewhere.

Yes learn from mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes and that’s how we learn and grow as individuals.

Don’t dwell on mistakes too long. You don’t drive a car through the rear view mirror (unless your about to get pulled over for a speeding ticket) so look forward not backwards.

And last, if all else fails - just stay busy, then you won’t have time to dwell on regrets. Idle time is the devil’s workshop.