Dealing with marginal phone reception

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Bilby, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If you have trouble getting phone reception, try the following:
    1. Plug in earbuds/headphones.
    2. Scroll down your contacts list for the required number.
    3. Hold you phone against the middle of a car or caravan window.
    4. Hit the call button.

colloquial likes this.
  2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Kick it if it doesn't work, don't fix it if it ain't broke and, when in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Believe it or not, its cellular level analog logic, that works when you happen to be a social species, and depend on each other for survival, explaining why the white population has been imploding.

3. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

The more rural the area that you are in the more spotty the reception. That is a no brainier. Companies are not going to pay the cost to install cell towers with little or no use. There is no money in it for them.
    But I will try the head phone idea.and see if that works for me. A lot depends on what side of the hill / mountain that you happen to be. on

4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

For perhaps $2,000.oo and a rather high monthly rates, you can get a satellite phone that will work even in Antarctica. Your $800.oo iPhone is simply not powerful enough, unless you pay the Pentagon extra. If they like you, they may even give you one with quantum encryption.

5. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

The lead of earbuds/headphones acts as an antenna. Some phones have better reception range than others. When I first worked out bush, I had a Nokia 6120 that at the time had a reception range like no other. When it died I replaced it with a ZTE T54. About the same reception with an external antenna socket. Just checked on E-bay, external phone antennas are still available.
    I have been told satellite phones don't work that well if it is overcast.

6. Varmint

Varmint Member

I heard it was: "Green side out, brown side out, run in circles, scream and shout!"

About 30 yrs ago I visited my brother down at Camp Lejune. While there I visited a store that had four books by two retired marines titled, respectively:

Green Side Out!
    Brown Side Out!
    Run In Circles!
    Scream And Shout!

They were a compilation of stories from their days in the Marine Corps, and there was some seriously funny stuff in there. The titles came from that particular habit made possible by bureaucrats that causes mayhem and panic while getting nothing worthwhile done. I'm not sure if they're still in print. Might find copies on Amazon or a well-known auction site if you're interested in stuff like that. Enjoy, and carry on!

7. Codemouse

Codemouse Dr. Spc. Cody

Lol, there are repeaters also. 60$ and you can repeat any signal. I would do that. Good tip though! That would actually work theoretically. I work with radio wave propagation for work and stuff.

8. sean_naranja

sean_naranja Members

They sell booster antennas online, I've never tried one though. Never had the extra money.