Dealing with Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Deemed as Normal, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Deemed as Normal

Deemed as Normal Members

I'm talking about the crazy ones. I'll try and make sense with them if I can sus out first that they'll argue fairly. I know it's best not to mock them, but if they get to aggressive then it's fair game.

I was once amongst a group of people on holidays, and one of them began ranting about "the real reason" why U.S government want to introduce gun restrictions. I asked him how he knew this, and what the motive for it would be. He tried to deflect from my questions by spouting yet more far fetched claims. After he told me this I said "oh right and if someone ever asks me how I know that I can tell them that I heard it from the guy who smoked too much weed at a hostel I once stayed in". The rest in the crowd laughed like mad when I said this and that was the end of him.

Another time I saw a cop on a TV show make fun of a conspiracy theorist. They'd just made an arrest and when they were taking the fella off in cuffs he began ranting "do you have any idea who you are working for?". One of the cops taunted him by answering "oh ya we know! they told us last June... laid it all out... there was a change of policy so we had a big secretive meeting and they told us exactly who we're working for... that my friend was an eye opener". Priceless!

I do not intend for this thread to be about actual conspiracy theories.

scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

90% of Americans believe they are smarter than the rest, capable of detecting fake news and bullshit better than the average Joe, and ignore anything they believe contradicts conventional wisdom, despite nobody ever proving its existence anywhere in the world. The real conspiracy is that academics reject their own dictionary, in favor of promoting the agenda of the mindless mob and the wealthy, who have a vested interest in exploiting the mindless mob. As a result, a quarter of the developed world still insists the sun revolves around the earth, because everyone lies to them.

jimandjan and Toecutter like this.
  3. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

90% ???? I would have guessed higher.

4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Yes, I agree that people who are endlessly obsessed with conspiracies are obsessive, which is not good.

I think obsessive people have a mental disorder coupled with an urge to control the thoughts of others.

Unfortunately you can not argue with them, as they twist and turn every word you might say.

scratcho and arizonacook like this.
  5. wooleeheron

When a quarter of the population still insists the sun revolves around the earth, you don't want to stand out too much...

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

I recall a Buddhist master telling his student that when you encounter two fools talking nonsense to each other not to intervene but to pretend that you're watching a comedic performance. All you can do is change yourself and who you associate with for the better and weep for the rest of humanity. These conspiracy theorists are craving attention and the worst thing for us to do is give them any.

themnax, scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  7. wooleeheron

It turns out Buddha was wrong, and the past is not only a memory, nor is the future only a dream. They express particle-wave duality, complicating even quantum mechanics, implying a universal recursion in the principle of identity. What that means is logic and humor must always transform into one another, explaining the current state of the world, as the result of academics.

8. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

Conspiracy theories have been around for many years. Look at Joe Mccarthy in the 1950's he thought everyone was a Russian spy. Look at the witch hunts in Salem in the 1600's " there are witches in the woods".
    When people are scared. Or do not understand the truth. They come up with alternative theories.

scratcho likes this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

like most things that are unpleasant, i generally try to find ways to avoid having to.
    whole lotta things i've lived without much of my life to avoid doing so.

telling people what to pretend about things no one knows very much about to begin with,
    is conspiracy theory too, that whole devils and deamons business.

and as someone will always come along and point out, that's not just christerism,
    but my point, and any honest follower of anything usually does too, that's not at root,
    what any belief starts out to be about.

and corporations aren't any more efficient then governments.
    they paint everything bright and shinny when they first get a hold of it, or put it in place,
    but soon let it rot and rust if it doesn't grease the wheels of stockholders to keep it shinny.

sometimes they're promoted by people who think they have something to gain by keeping everyone else as ignorant and confused as they can,
    these are the wanna be fascist, you see attacking the rights of a diverse majority to self govern, and pretending to call it freedom to do so.

Rotten Willie likes this.
  10. wooleeheron

Conspiracy theories reflect the fact people tend to organize like chickens. Think of the flock making noise, due to everything being bullshit and lies, the noise level itself provides a reliable way to detect when the shit is about to hit the fan. My own work exploits academics, who also organize like chickens.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  11. ~Zen~

That is very wise advice.

Paying any attention only encourages them to spout more nonsense.

Trump is a prime example.

12. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

But what can you do, if they get powerful to a point, where they can hurt others? Get enough crazies together, and you'll have a cult. Large enough cults will eventually try to force their ways on to others, trough force if necessary. With certain conspiracies, there comes a time when you can't just look the other way anymore. The events of last January should be a reminder of that.

scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  13. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

Sorry but my Batmobile's in the shop. Besides, that's the government's job, which begs the question why someone guilty of TREASON at least four times--conspiring with a foreign government to fix an election, bribing a foreign government to manufacture dirt on an opponent, directly interfering with a federal election, and inciting a violent insurrection--is still a free man. If our justice system is that fucking weak, why do we have even one?

scratcho, ~Zen~ and arizonacook like this.
  14. ~Zen~

It is obvious to me that the so-called justice system in the USA is broken.

It has been politicized for generations... doesn't anyone have any sense of history repeating itself?

scratcho and Toecutter like this.
  15. wooleeheron

Money has a way of enforcing that anyone asking real questions, is silenced. Like Galileo and Socrates, while the idiots refuse to even teach a child how to use a dictionary, encouraging them all to argue over the definition of stupid.

~Zen~ likes this.
  16. Deemed as Normal

Deemed as Normal Members

Ended up getting into a sort of argument with some conspiracy theorists the other night. Unfortunately I was out numbered 3 to 1! They unloaded quite a lot of nonsense. In the end I just had to walk away while one of them was still talking to me. Here's just some of what they said:

Fossil fuels don't come from fossils, and that oil shouldn't be called fossil fuel. One guy said that no fossils have been found at the depth oil is found at. I explained what I'd learned in school about how oil is formed and he then proceeded to say that up until 1920 people in school were being taught that the Earth was flat.

Another other guy claimed that in the Russian ambassador to the U.S was shot live on TV in Turkey (think he said in the 1970s) by a U.S CIA agent who was pretending to be a Turkish cop. Anyone ever hear of anything like that? He thinks U.S is fighting this proxy war in the hopes of invading Russia to get nickel, among other minerals. He also claimed that in 2016 in Ukraine, that there was ethnic cleansing of Russians, and that the New York Times actually had an article on this.

The Titanic came up in all of this. One of them claimed it was sank deliberately due to them realising that the steel in it was of poor quality. Apparently a large number of high profile people mysteriously cancelled their trip to America before the ship set sail.

They went on about how one of the videos that Vladamir Zelensky was in - during his time as an actor, where is doing some dance or whatever - was faked... and that it is possible to see some of the green screen above his shoulder. I kind of thought "well if that is true, then so what?"

They also claimed that China owns all the ports in Australia, and that if the Chinese wanted to, they could control Australia, or something like that.

They denied climate change and claimed that grapes were grown in Britain 2,000 years ago, and that it was hotter during Roman Empire than it is today. But as far as I know, there weren't thermometers back then. They said that the sea level is the exact same as 100 years ago, and that it only appears to chance due to movement of tectonic plates. Then the other guy said sea level had risen, but only because there are so many ships in the ocean, which displaces water!

Something came up about Cuban cigars and the Cuban missile crisis, and that their biggest buying is American politicians. Forget the details.

There was also reference to why George Bush kept reading 'My Pet Goat' when the Twin Towers came down!

There was something in there about Hunter Biden's laptop!

Oh, and something about Bill Gates and how he's the biggest funder of the WHO, and that he also now owns most of the land in the U.S.

And these are only the ones that I remember!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  17. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hello

At the time of Queen Bodiccia: The Romans wanted to continue The Conquest of Britiania, but needed the help of investors to finance the conquest. Romans advertised on the continent that Britinia could grow grapevines in order to increase the demand and value of the lands to be conqured. I am supprised to here that this Fraud still exists to this day.

Deemed as Normal likes this.
  18. Deemed as Normal

Deemed as Normal Members

Oh yes, they said that in some speech last month, that Ursula von der Leyen screwed up in the mentioning of deaths to Ukranian civilians. I knew I forgot something!

19. Deemed as Normal

Deemed as Normal Members

How much of Britain did the Romans actually conquer?

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."
    Thomas Paine

Deemed as Normal likes this.