dead trees pine beattle infestation a dead forest????

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by hippiehillbilly, Jun 24, 2006.

1. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

so,, umm who let this forest fall into such disrepair??

round here when the pine beettles begin to attack they clear the dead trees ASAP an create a buffer between the live and those that are no more..

So because the federal goverment sat on there lazy asses and let a few hundred thousand acres of trees die,, we are now held responsible for there stupidity??

maybee thats why there fining everyone?? hell a couple hundred thousand acres to be replanted must not be cheap..

hey man sounds like we are doin them a favor in my opinion..

them loggin trucks gonna have a hellu landin pad when we leave..

love n light

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

think ya hit the point without even realizin it

the gathering was denied a permit in prefference to a priority permit to loggers

its easier for folks to accept logging if it corrects a problem..

i believe they allowed the infestation to get out of hand, to justify clearcutting the land to "solve the problem of the beettle infestation & the resulting dead forresst fire danger"
    or even if the loggers arent scheduled to clearcut but only harvest deadfall, allowing a infestation guarantees a proffitable harvest

dont they just do a wonderful job of "resourse management"?

they should call it what it is..proffit management

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

the beetles hit and hit fast.
    All the forests have dead tree stands out here. You'd think with winters as cold as we get the buggers would die...but they love it here and keep munching.
    Like developers.

4. cforevereyez

cforevereyez Member

Nature caused this forest to fall into disrepair. It started with a massive blowdown caused by a late fall storm that created 120 mph winds coming from the east. Huge areas of the forest were knocked flat. It broke my heart to see this devastation, as this place was the crown jewel of the Zirkle Wilderness.

A lot of this area was wilderness and logging is not permitted (and Steamboat Springs didn't want logging trucks rolling through town all summer, disrupting the tourists). As predicted, nature struck again when lightning started one of the worst forest fires I've ever seen in the area. It burned most of the summer into fall.

The beetle invasion, as predicted by the Forest Service, accelerated because of all the blowdown. The drought has furthur stressed the healthy forest and left them vulnerable to beetle invasion. And to make matters worse, we've had 3 or 4 very mild winters in a row. In order to kill the beetles, we need many days of sub-zero temps in Jan. and Feb. to get the job done. This problem is happening all over the forests of Colorado.

Nature has destroyed this forest and nature will restore it to it's beautiful state eventually. We just don't have the patience, or enough time on earth to see that happen.

5. zaireeka

zaireeka Member

Hello! I'm also headed home (after some minor repairs to my vehicle) and I was wondering if there was anything we could do while we were there to help fight the beetles and ease the suffering of the forest? It makes me sad to hear of such destruction and I want to find a way to do my part in repairing it! Any advice helps thankyou so much!