Dead punk.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by DrConzo, Jan 1, 2018.

1. DrConzo

DrConzo Members

I come from punkrock but found the grateful dead about 4 years ago on an acid binge and It's just as good as the best punk bands. I'm the anarchist/communist type and like philosophy..Recently started smoking pot again because I found low thc (under 1%) and high cbd buds here in Oregon. Uh, I'm a vegan and a "street artist". Pretty high on kratom atm. It's nice to be back on the forum.

dopahontas likes this.
  2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I like feminist punk mostly

3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I worked on a film about Sid and Nancy. After the recording sessions, I went home with a blinding headache.

4. Whenever my headphones are on, chances are I'm listening to punk. Though I grew up on the Beatles and the gang. Punk too violent? It's just spaced out.

5. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I quite like the politics of many punk bands, especially anarcho-punk, but I tend to gravitate more towards garagepunk for music.

6. Noserider

Is garage punk and actually subgenre?

7. DrConzo

DrConzo Members

I agree, autophobe2e. Anarcho-punk has great politics attached. If anyone wants to check some bands out i recomend poison girls, zounds, and crass.

8. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Are you asking if garagepunk is a subgenre? I'd say yeah, definitely. It's just punk that retains its blues/rock n' roll roots, takes influence from garage/psych bands of the 60's like the Sonics, the Remains, 13th Floor Elevators etc.

Whether it should be considered a legitimate 'punk' genre or not, because it tends to ignore politics, is up for debate. But if you're going down that road then you have to more or less chuck out most folk and ska punk act as well. As well as some of the early punk godfathers. If I want politics I'd go for Crass etc. But musically I tend to gravitate towards garage-y sounds. I likes me blues.

Some people refer to it simply as 'garage', or 'garage rock revival' or 'pretentious hipster douche music' but 'garage punk' I reckon most accurately reflects the two major influences that go into it.

I've not listened to Poison girls before, but I ama Crass and Zounds! fan. If you've got a job, you can be an agent and all that..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. Noserider

I only ask because most garage I've heard is either straight up retro sounding or with a kind of New Wave edge to it. I've never heard anything that sounded like a punk-garage crossover.

Then again, I'm still unclear on what "garage" is, exactly. But I know you're the expert there...

10. flippedcanvas

flippedcanvas Members

I've got to check the bands you're referring to, I've got into so many different ones myself The Dangerous Summer is for defo a brilliant one.
    Welcome onboard buddy meanwhile!