dead batteries

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by RainyDayHype, Jul 3, 2013.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

What do you do with your dead batteries? I know they're supposed to be recycled so I feel horrible when I end up throwing them out..
    There's a drop off at best buy locations where you can recycle them so I try to do that. Anyone know of any other spots that recycles them?

2. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Our municipal dump has a drop off for hazardous waste like batteries, cfl lightbulbs (which i always just throw in the garbage), and paint.

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Peel 'em open and use the lithium metal to cook meth.

Don't forget to take your hazardous chemical waste solvents and such to the local recycling center.

4. RainyDayHype

thread fail

[​IMG]

5. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I always bury my dead batteries. They deserve to rest in peace as well after a life of hard work.

6. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

I have no idea what happens to them. They lie somewhere in house... :D

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

We can drop them off here at any supermarket that sells them. Everybody in the netherlands who still throws them in the bin should be executed. There is no excuse for that shit really.

8. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Keep them in a plastic container and eventually to the recycling bin at one of the stores that offer.

9. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I throw them in the trash can along with all my other garbage.

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i throw them in the garbage

most of my batteries are nimh rechargeable though

automotive i save up and bring them to the scrap yard when i have a full truckload

i have some lithium ones im saving up to shoot at...someone told me they explode when you shoot them

11. lode

lode Banned

Batteries should be recycled; there is no keeping the metals out of the water supply after they are thrown away.

Some friends have been working pretty hard to make Walmart recycle them. In the meantime, Best Buy is a good bet.

12. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

meth is not good karma bro. just sayin'

13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I bring them to work because there's a battery recycle bin in the hazard waste loading dock :2thumbsup:

Hotwater

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You want to execute people for not throwing their batteries away properly?

15. RainyDayHype

lol, well I'm going to assume anyone who didn't reply to this thread just tosses their batteries out into the trash...
    and I'm also going to assume they'll be going to hell for this!

joking.

16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We save our old batteries and old light bulbs in plastic tubs with lids until we can drop them off at the home improvement store collection bins.

17. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Common Household batteries AA, AAA, 9v, etc. don't pose much of a risk in modern landfills. Batteris from cell phones, laptops, cars, etc. should always be recycled, but recycling the AAA's from your remotes does more to make you feel good than it does to protect the environment.

18. lode

lode Banned

http://www.sandiego.gov/environmental-services/ep/hazardous/battrecycle.shtml

All batteries contain heavy metals. While they are less dangerous now, because they had to be changed twenty years ago because they were extremely dangerous it's still zinc in an acid bath.

Landfills are giant trash diapers and do not hold these metals for lifetimes, only a few decades. In Texas there were 60 landfills reporting leaks last year.

http://www.tceq.texas.gov/publications/sfr/056/056_11_index.html

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes. Children and mentally disabled people get one warning though :bobby:

20. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

In California, their Environmental standards are much higher than the rest of the country, and in many cases are overkill.

Alkaline batteries don't use acid as an electrolyte, they use a caustic. Which is still corrosive, but significantly less toxic and harmfull than the acid used in other batteries. Zinc and Manganese Dioxide are the two metals found in alkaline batteries, and aren't toxic. In fact zinc is the 24th most abundant element found in the Earths crust, and is necessary for plant and animal life.

I was on the safety committee at the last plant I worked in. When I saw that we were going through a lot of batteries, I tried to initiate a battery recycling program. I had two electrical engineers and one environmental engineers tell me it was unnecessary. When I pushed the issue, the Environmental engineer brought me documentation that showed what our recycle center does with the batteries they receive. They go through and separate the alkaline batteries from the more harmful types of batteries. The other batteries are processed and recycled while the alkaline batteries are thrown back in with the regular solid waste, and sent to the landfill.

So in my area, recycling normal alkaline batteries only adds energy consumption and pollution while sending the batteries to the same place they would end up if just thrown in the trash. It's counter-productive.

That's not to say that in California, or other areas that its the same way. People who wish to help the environment by recycling should do some research on the recycle centers they are sending their stuff to to see what actually is benificial, and what is counter productive. Blindly recycling all "recyclable" items without knowing how they are processed can serve your own ego, but can actually harm the environment worse than sending it to a landfill.