Daylight Savings Time and the invention of the Clock

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by thepapasmurph, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well it's nice to know that I am not the only one to make mistakes, lol :)

Joe90 likes this.
  2. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When the clocks "Spring Foreward" on a Sunday; and we all awake in darkness is the most dangerous time for wild animals to be hit on the roadways.

A buddy working for the Dept. of Public Works confirmed that this is the worst day for roadkill.

Joe90 likes this.
  3. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

That is so sad but it makes sense that people are out of practice driving in those conditions and forget to look out for wildlife that are active then.

Piney likes this.
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Some years ago, here in the UK, we stayed at BST (British summer time) for the whole year. After complaints about children travelling to school on dark mornings, we reverted back after a few years to changing the clocks.

Joe90 and granite45 like this.
  5. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

I think that is the only reason they go to standard time in the winter. The stayed on daylight savings time during the 70's energy crunch, went to school in the dark....

wilsjane likes this.
  6. wilsjane

That was when I remembered it, are you also in the UK.?

7. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Nope, just another hapless Yank. I seemed to remember not only was that winter dark, but cold, too...

8. wilsjane

Running across more than one timezone, it must be more complex in the US. Do all states change their clocks in summer and do they all do it on the same day?

Both the UK and the Irish republic follow the same time, although between the east of England and the west of Ireland, sunrise and sunset vary by about 20 minutes.

Chatting about things that I had never thought about before, is what I like about this unusual site. LOL

9. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Daylight savings time really has a low latitude bias. It’s light plenty late without DST in the Northern parts of the US in the summer….in winter the sunrise is awfully late with DST

10. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

They tried it in the U.S. as well one year in the 1970's (Might have been '76 or '77) - it was during the 70's energy crisis.

Same thing - had to not do it anymore because kids were walking to school in the dark.

11. treeswinger10

treeswinger10 Members

12. Joe90

Joe90 Members

I couldn't put it any better myself. It an antiquated idea that should be done away with, it serves no purpose what soever apart from from messing us about.

13. Joe90

Joe90 Members

Yet again another control put into place by BIG BROTER.

14. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

I had a buddy who absolutely loved it when we moved the clocks ahead. He was always working on his car in his back yard and wanted the light to continue as late as possible.

I've known quite a few tennis junkies who felt the same way.

And a lot of kids who were called in by their parents when it started to get dark. They liked the extra daylight quite a bit.

But, of course, that's when kids actually played outside - long ago.

Joe90 likes this.
  15. Joe90

Joe90 Members

Don't take it the wrong way but most people don't drive safely day or night, a total lack of situational awareness full stop.

16. Joe90

Joe90 Members

Here in the UK we have lighted tennis courts and lamps to light the area you work in. Please don't take my comments as flippant, as there not Kent to be.I do read a lot of your posts and comments. Keep up the good work. In the past you have sad stop thanking me. I got the point though.

17. Joe90

Joe90 Members

No one mentioned the kids here in the UK causing trouble and so called adults.

18. Joe90

Joe90 Members

Welcome to the real world were mistakes by us mortals take place. We live and learn on a Dailey bases opps basis. Unless your in the government.

19. anarfem

anarfem Members

Hmm... few links are postet here ... i will to try to post a link to my website about this matter. Before, informations about this matter.

A few years ago, there was an interest on my part in the solar time in relation to computer programming. The difficulty with the solar time is the fluctuation of the earth in relation to the sun and the own position on earth. They are calculable with a complex formula. These formulas already exist in different computer languages.

The first differentiation exists between the time definers. On the one side it is a clock. On the other side it is the sun - on sundials. A clock works in the most cases constant - tick tock. Clocks works time-averaged. Sundials are fluctuating. It exists a "averaged solar time" (clock) and a "true solar time" (sundial). And it exists also special sundials with averaged solar time.

The next things are the time zones. There are not so old and founded in the beginning of the rail roads (road map).

In principle, averaged time and time zones are unimportant. There are only important for the economy and business. For your privat life you can use a true solar time. There are also sundials for the pocket.

The true solar time fluctuate over 30 minutes in the year, two times in both directions. On my website is a info page with many informations about the sun and time.

In my website you can pick the true solar time on every place on the earth at every time. Thats the advantage over a sundial (night, cloudy).

An app for Android was also programmed by me. Unfortunatelly, this works not on newer Android and i have no capacitys and enough interest to code a new app. You can find various in the app stores.

Since there is no advertising of the website from my side, the interest is rather very low. Let's hope that linking the website here will be allowed.

SOLAR TIME CALCULATOR MAP