David Dellinger, one of the Chicago Seven, dies

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by beachbum7, May 27, 2004.

1. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I was listening to Air America radio today, and I heard them mention that David Dellinger, one of the Chicago Seven, died yesterday. I've heard about the Chicago Seven, but I didn't know about Dellinger until they briefly talked about his life on the air. And I read about his life on the 'net for a little while, and it's quite fascinating. Take a look at this link:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040526/ap_on_re_us/obit_dellinger_5

We need more people like David Dellinger in this world: a peace activist who worked at trying to make the world a better place.

2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So he was already 53 during the trial. So unlike Jerry Rubin, he didn't "grow out of it and join the establishment". He even hitchhiked to a demonstration in Canada when he was 85! Whether you agreed or disagreed with him one thing must be said about him, he knew who he was, what he was and what he stood for.

3. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

that's so sad that he died. how terrible. it's so horrible when people with such beautiful spirits die.

4. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes it's sad, but he lived to be 88 so it's no tragedy. Abbie Hoffman committing suicide and Jerry Rubin dying after being hit by a car, now those were tragedies. So many influential people from that time have had their lives cut short; it's good to note that David Dellinger lived a long full life.

5. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

oh yes, no doubt. i just hate when people die.

6. jailmate

jailmate Plantenist

When guys get famous they lose it-

their HAIR

7. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

This is very sad, but its the Chicago 8, not 7.

Atleast he died of natural causes, when Abbie and Jerry were killed.

R.I.P man, you are one of my heroes.

8. BraveHeart

BraveHeart Member

The torch he lit has to be passed on to others now. I hope people take what he's done and continue the work he did. He tried to make Earth a better home for us all and to a degree, he did. That's very sad news. He dedicated his life to the struggle for the true spirit of freedom.

9. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I was fortunate enough to meet the man in high school. He came to visit my school in Vermont and I got to conduct an hour question an answer between him and the student body. Definitely one of the better experiences in my life. Sitting with him for an hour before had just getting a feel for him was wonderful. He truly was a great man.

10. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

i just noticed that this was posted in May. I love the guy and i didnt even know he died:&

Actually, i thought he died a long time ago. That man was old.

11. dhs

dhs Senior Member

well mainstream media news is good for somethings!! Yeah it was back in may - he was pretty old, late 80's I do believe.

12. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

ah the chicago 7... fascinating story