Darfur Genocide

Discussion in 'Protest' started by tigerlily, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

You know, the one that's going on right now... in Sudan... the one that the U.S. is not doing anything about because we're getting information on terrorists from the Sudanese government...? here's a few links, and please fill out your name to send a virtual postcard to George W. Bush from the first link. (it really only takes a second) the more people who express concern/outrage, the more likely the government is to do something... they really do care about public opinion. even if you are against war and don't think we should attack the perpetrators, you should still be concerned with the victims and their well-being and know that this kind of stuff can happen anywhere... think about what you would want to happen if you were being targeted to be murdered because of a group you belonged to... your race/religion/political stance/gender/sexuality...

okay i'll get off my soapbox now. here are the links:

www.savedarfur.org (takes you to the postcard first, then to the main page)
    www.darfurgenocide.org (info on the genocide and links to donate money towards ad campaigns)
    www.ushmm.org/conscience/alert/darfur (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum... "never again"?? yeah, can't really use that catchphrase...)
    www.darfurisdying.com/translating.html (this is a video of refugee camps taken by three students who weren't let into Darfur, but instead hung around just outside)

2. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

I sent a postcard :)

3. Breakxeggs

Breakxeggs Member

Would you like to know why we arn't doing anything about it? Well its beacuse the public here is not interested in that, and they dont want to send our troops over there to die aswell.

But if we were over there we would only be expanding our massive globalization aswell.

4. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Agreed. We go to Sudan to stop genocide, people (read: Europeans and Albionites) will scream "AMERICAN IMPERIALISM!!!"

We get enough of that shit now because our Chimp in Charge has us on a Muslim Hunt in Iraq and Afghanistan.

5. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

The reason westerners are doing nothing about the crises in Darfur and most likely never will is very simple..........no resources.

6. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

so we should just let the sudanese government kill off all the non-Arabs in Darfur and hope it stops there?

I don't think this should be a mission performed solely by the United States, i think other countries should be involved as well. the UN should be going in there, but i think if the US can fund the "war in iraq" all by itself pretty much, then we have plenty of resources, it's just a matter of where we want to use them. But really, i'm not too interested in excuses as to why we shouldn't do anything.

i am definitely against isolationism, and i think we should look beyond our own doorsteps and actually care. it's sad to think that perhaps "peace not war" really just means ignoring what's going on next door in order to avoid conflict with your neighbors.

7. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

anyway, i'm probably not going to change the minds of a bunch of cynics, but i have those links up for those who do care.

thanks for sending a postcard dangermoose :) you're not even american, lol.

8. Breakxeggs

Breakxeggs Member

The UN doesn't work sadly.

If you want to stop it, your best bet is to get a gun yourself and go over and attempt to stop it.

9. Zoomie

I'm not a cynic. I'm a realist. On the list of horrors, genocide is tops. The UN tried to stop genocide in Rwanda. They weren't timely. The UN tried to stop genocide in the Balkans. They couldn't. They tried to stop the killing in Rwanda. They failed. Did the UN even try to stop the human rights violations in Iraq and Afghanistan? No. Bush went in and he fucked it up with lies, coverups, corruption and deception.

I think it's time we let the aggression of humankind run its course. It's called population control and it's as old as humankind itself. Sometimes you have to just give in to the inevitable.

10. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Yeah.........I resent being labeled a cynic as well, but like Zoomie, i'm a realist. I agree something needs to be done, the fact that it is allowed to continue is deplorable, but get real.....your average westerner doesn't give a fuck beyond whats in front of him/her, and our so called "governments" are full to the brim of corrupt plutocrats who take no action on anything unless their is a way to line the coffers of the elite, and with no resources, their is no way to make money, sadly that's all they care about, no matter what they say. Sure if enough people rose up and made a big enough fuss, loud outcry's, and threatened the bottom line of the almighty dollar, something would be done........however the likelihood of that is slim to none. I feel terrible for the people in Darfur, i've been educating people on this crises for years, i've donated personal time, energy, and money to this very cause, but I don't live in fantasy, i'm a realist, and from a realistic outlook I know nothing will be done, like Zoom mentioned, look at the Balkans, Rwanda......hell look at Tibet, that's been going on for 60 years now....it's sad to say but humanity has moved into a phase of greed, power, and corruption.....I feel for the people of Darfur, but short of the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI) I fear nothing will be done.

11. Zoomie

See, that's why we need to spend a week on the AT this sumer, Rob. There will be no need to discuss politics, no debate, just enjoy the absence of Babylon.

12. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

I hear ya brother, i'm definitely down with that. The serenity and peace of my land brings me home.......

13. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

the UN had ppl in rwanda and pulled them all out when the genocide happened... they really didn't do shit. i also don't understand why you shoot down my attempts to inform ppl. i saw no thread in here about darfur, but i saw plenty about the environment. i had somebody tell me today that he thinks the world has a great ability to take care of itself... so it doesn't really matter if we recycle or not. i mean, is that how you guys see it? the ppl will take care of themselves, let the strong ones live and the weak ones die, no use in doing anything ourselves because it wont have an impact?

here is an example of outcry/protest making a difference in modern times, even if this seems small, it's still something. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/03/wjapan03.xml this is the prime minister of japan saying comfort women weren't used by japanese soldiers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18233740/site/newsweek/
    this is newsweek adressing the issue of comfort women in the same importance as relationships with iran and china.... i think that's a pretty big statement. here's the page where he apologizes to those women who were used at comfort women. he apologized because U.S. citizens got angry. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18233740/site/newsweek/page/3/
    yeah, it's PR... but so what? It's something. the american public is still "heard"

14. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

http://blogs.ushmm.org/index.php/COC2/408/ just found this...

4/19/07
    President George W. Bush Speaks at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
    Interview: U.S. President George W. Bush speaks at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum about the importance of Holocaust remembrance and the urgent need for action to end genocide in Darfur. In his remarks, the President states that if the Sudanese government does not meet the demands of the international community, the United States will pursue several policy options. These include increased U.S. economic sanctions on Sudan, targeted sanctions against individuals responsible for violence in the region, and that the U.S. would propose a United Nations Security Council resolution to apply new sanctions, impose an expanded arms embargo, and prohibit Sudan's government from conducting offensive military flights over Darfur.

15. Haid

Haid Member

I have said it before and I don't say it often but America should be ashamed that it isn't acting in Darfur. What do you expect though with people jumping all over the Iraq War. IMO anywhere and everywhere these extremist Muslims are slaughtering people we should go in. Fuck what the rest of the pussy, do nothing, world thinks anymore.

16. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

There comes a time when war is neccesary. It was not neccesary in Afghanistan, or Iraq, but is in Darfur. Its a shame the government has cried wolf too many times for anyone to support more military action...

17. allegedly

allegedly Member

I went to church tonight for the first time in a looooong time and I found it funny how a prayer was said for the victims of the Virginia Tech shooting BUT NOT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE BEING RAPED AND KILLED EVERY FUCKING DAY.

Funny.