Dangers of Tofu

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by .Hannah., Dec 9, 2006.

1. .Hannah.

.Hannah. Member

You're very welcome, Walker. I'm learning a lot from this forum too. Not posting much but reading a lot. :)

...I think I am a closet vegetarian. I don't eat much meat and for some reason the chicken/beef/pork leaves a funny taste in my mouth that I've unconsciously started to avoid in the past few years. So thank you everyone also for all the wonderful tips. And also how to substitute my diet with other proteins.

2. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

ive been consuming soy like that for a very long time..i do not see any issues with it at all and ive never had any health affects from it

3. Gaston

Gaston Loup Garou

A good friend and I were discussing just such a topic and he said "You know, you can founder yourself on soup beans or spring water." :jester:

4. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

SDL, I agree that cutting back on soy might be just the thing you need! I wouldn't worry too much about the protein issue - as long as you eat your grains whole, and keep a healthy selection of beans and nuts, etc. at hand you'll be more than fine! Liquid aminos can really help also! It might seem sudden, but the best way to clear it out of your system might be an elimination diet for a month or two, cutting out the soy completely. See how that makes you feel, and what kind of difference it makes, and then re-introduce it slowly in moderation. Good luck! :D

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

SDl, I notice you se a LOT of soy.
    think about how you use it and why.
    I have tofu, oh, less than 1 X a month, a bit more if I crave thai food. (and I leave a lot for later...and never get to it again...)
    I was big on tempeh, but I burned out on the texture.
    I have tvp, which has soy, maybe 2-3 times a month.
    I do have wheat free tamari (soy) sauce. I buy a box of tofutti 2 x a year (and get a rice dream bar a couple other times a year)
    I use beans aside from soy for my main protien, and pretty much don't monitor it except for a current habit of trying protein in breakfast. Lots of nut butters and occasional dairy yogurt with whole grain toast/ bagel/ brown rice.

in almost every use, soy is mimicing an animal product.
    so I cut down, thinking "if i were really using meat I'd be leaving out fresh fruits and veggies."
    So I upped the fresh food.

6. gratefulvegan

gratefulvegan Member

FIRST of all, I'm not in this for my own health- I'm in it for the animals. SECOND off this is just a load of bullshit in my opinion.

7. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

8. .Hannah.

.Hannah. Member

^Wonderful link. Thanks.

Cool. I hope you don't die or are screwed over before you reach fulfillment helping your animals. [​IMG]

9. sweetdreadlover

.hannah. i dont think was necesary...people r allowed thier own opinions..

and yes i do consume alot of soy...its hard to not. i can replace soymilk with almond milk or rice milk, but its kinda hard to replace things like tempah which claim to harbor vitamin B12 benifits and also i love the taste of tofu, not to mention soy burgers etc.....drummin would u mind helping me with something??...you seem to be the most reliable non meat eater ive ever come across:)...my question is, can u help me by creating a vegan shopping list and maybe we can post it on the forum??..im as well inquizzitive on what i SHOULD be buying and eating and sort of cutting out over half of the soy i eat, and im sure it would be very helpful to other new vegans as well.any help i can get from you would be great dumminmama:):)

10. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Hmm.... The folks in Japan,China and other parts of Asia cosnsume far more soy products than we do yet they don't suffer any ill side effects.

11. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

Assuming the information in the link I posted is correct, Americans actually comuse more soy today. Also it says that the traditional process of fermenting soy is largely ignored by the manufacturers of most of the products Americans find on the grocery store shelf.

12. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

It is not that difficult to stop using soy if you avoid processed foods. Generally the less processed a food the healthier it is as well. Just buy fresh fruits and vegetables when you can and frozen if you can't get fresh, dried or canned beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and rice. Eat a variety of these and you should be doing just fine. Search the net for recipes (there are more than you can probably use) that look interesting to you that use fresh ingredients. I see no reason to completely avoid soy, just don't eat it all the time. So you can still indulge in tofu or tempah every now and then. If you are drinking a vegan milk it most likely has B12, so that should not be a worry. Or you can use vegan B12 suppliments.

13. barter mama

barter mama Member

I think tempeh & miso are fermented, so they should be ok, right?

There are many ways to get protein w/o soy... beans, whole grains, brown rice, seitan, quinoa, nuts, rice milk, fortified cereals, and many veggies even have a little protein. The suggestions given above are great, too. Processed food is garbage anyway, the fresher the better. :)

14. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

Taken from the article I posted:
    That last part is rather vague so I don't know if it is also referring to tofu, miso, and tempeh that is talked about in the paragraph above it or just things like soy burgers. It might be best to look into how the manufacturer of the brand you buy makes it.

15. sweetdreadlover

i havent been eating much soy for about a week...just a bit here and there and so far so good...im not taking all of it out thuogh, i still eat at least 25 mgs of soy a day, its good for the heart

16. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

soy is just a fastcut to getting complete protiens...even then it just contains proteins that contain all the amino acids your body needs to form the proteins that it uses. Even the same is true of meat. Your body takes these proteins in, breaks them down into amino acids and then reforms them into the type of protiens that it actually needs...it does this with soy, meat and it also will take amino acids from all your foodstuffs and do the same. So far as I understand if you are eating a varied and healthy diet containing the essential amino acids the issue of proteins really isn't an issue at all. If this is the case then I suppose some of the anti soy stuff I read might possibly be right. Sort of a too much is not a good idea scenario. Anyhow I don't have the links or books I got that from but if you need me to I can hunt it out. I have a feeling though that this is old news and something my mum bothered to check out when my dad was veg in the late sixties/early seventies

17. JayzzMama

JayzzMama Member

I was under the impression that phyto-estrogen is NOT used by the body in the same manner that estrogen is? Can't recall where I read it. Hmmm....

18. thesadeianlinguist

thesadeianlinguist Member

Coconut milk is a GREAT replacement for dairy-based cream in recipes. Not that you asked. :p

19. littlelily

littlelily Member

I love Soy milk! I 've been drinking it for over 9 years now. However, I rely mostly on various grains (i.e. pasta, cous-cous, rice, oats...., cooked veggies with sauces, fruits, and probably too many cookies:)

20. sweetdreadlover

So i found this on a website, and found this..they sell the same kind of estrogen in a bottle for PROMOTING healthy menstration..

Phyto-Estrogen Power is formulated to help with symptoms associated with PMS, menstrual irregularities, hormone imbalance and menopause. A potent supplement designed to meet the nutritional needs of women. Nutritionally supports healthy estrogen balance.