DANGEROUS "Holy Roller" mentality

Discussion in 'Bisexual' started by GrayGuy57, Nov 10, 2022.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

3. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

My mother often used to say: "Ignorance is bliss".

If this is true, th
    4en, surely, high-octane religious fanatics are among the most "blissful" people on the face of the Earth.:(

And, even worse, the "religious" venom they spew has infected far too many gullible minds, and have caused tremendous emotional pain among far too many individuals who are only "guilty" of being themselves..........:(

"Live long and prosper"

4. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

trump's pastor - spiritual advisor - Paula White -which is a riot all by itself - I'm sure the only reason he thought she amounted to anything was because of her looks and her wealth.

But that other guy who preaches hate- man, that guy is gone.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    GrayGuy57 likes this.
  5. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

You could be on to something there, my friend.

Amazing just how far an over-inflated ego and a LOT of $$$$$$ can take you.

Personally, I think the majority of these "holy rollers" are nothing more than bogus snake-oil salesmen, slick con-artists whose bigoted, narrow-minded views infect thousands of minds each day with their venom-filled "holier than thou" claptrap.

And, I need not remind anyone here of Jimmy and Tammy Baker, back in the 70's........:eek:o_O

"Live long and prosper"

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Real Christians; folk who really do try to actualize the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth found in the synoptic gospels, understand that being LGBT is not a "life style [sic] choice" or a sin. Jesus was actually rather notorious for socializing with society's outcasts; peasants, non-Jews, and even Roman soldiers; he "invited them in & accepted everything about them". The only people he singled out for condemnation were hypocrites.
    Real Christians don't "other" people; Following Jesus' example, they embrace them.
    What kind of Christian are you?

Prior to 1946, the original Greek word "arsenokoitai" found in Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, and 1 Corinthians wasn't translated as 'homosexuality' but 'pederasty'; sexual abuse of male children.
    Biblically, female children were fair game; the Bible explicitly describes how to sell your daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21:7-11), and how to capture girls as sex slaves (Judges 21:10-24), (Numbers 31:7-18), (Deuteronomy 20:10-14), (Judges 5:30), and how to rape to the glory of God (Zechariah 14:1-2), (Leviticus 25:44-46).
    To blithely dismiss that many canonical instructions as irrelevant remnants of Bronze Age morality, with no application to the modern world, yet fixate on three mistranslated words as the literal Word of God to the utter exclusion of the 361 verses which mention 'love', how can that be anything other than hypocrisy of the worst kind; prostituting Jesus to rationalize your own petty prejudices and hatreds?

1 John 4:7-21

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Tishomingo and GrayGuy57 like this.
  7. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Piobaire:

Once again, please allow me to say "thank you" for contributing to one of my topics with intelligence, knowledge, and insight.

It never ceases to amaze me, as to just how truly ignorant so many "religious zealots" really area.

The Bible tells us that Mary Magdelene was a prostitute.

Did Jesus cast stones at her?

Did He turn his back on her?

IMHO, the ULTIMATE blasphemy is when hyper-bigoted evangelists resort to preaching hated and intolerance in Jesus' Name.

Again, I thank you for your valuable (and always enlightening) opinions.......

"Live long and prosper"

8. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

9. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Mary of Magdala wasn't referred to as a sex worker until Pope Gregory pronounced her so in 1591.
    One of the scandalous aspects of Jesus' ministry was his teaching of women. Mary was a long-term and devoted disciple, who had the courage to stand fast at the crucifixion as all of her male brethren skedaddled, and was the first to whom he revealed himself after the resurrection.
    It's hard to imagine an explanation of the short shrift she received by The Church as anything other than institutional misogyny...but it might also have been part of an overall campaign against heresies like Gnosticism, which might have held that Mary of Magdalen was a Canaanite priestess of Artemis, a wealthy patron of Jesus' ministry, the founder of a non-Pauline Gentile church, and his wife and the mother of his two children.
    ‘Lost Gospel’ depicts a married political activist Rabbi Jesus

Tishomingo and thepapasmurph like this.
  11. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Piobaire:

I did not know this; thank you for sharing this interesting bit of Bible history here with us.

Over the centuries, we've read many stories of the apostles (disciples), their relationships with Jesus, their teachings and writings.

Here again, over the course of many hundreds of years, so much we have read can either be deciphered as "gospel truth" (excuse the pun), or fiction based on fact.

Jesus and his Apostles were, indeed, a "religious brotherhood"; it is still interesting to read about them today, and to learn from their teachings, adapting them to our present-day world......

"Live long and prosper"

12. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

13. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Back in the 1970's, I recall a tv commercial where Jesus was talking to a man, and was holding up a Roman coin.

Jesus asked: "Who's head is on this coin?"

The man replied, "Caesar".

Jesus then said: "You can only serve one Master." (or something to that effect)

"LIve long and prosper"

14. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

@Piobaire that is fascinating. I could sit down and have a fascinating conversation (listen to) with you. I love many of the opinions you share on HIP and I find you to be a most fascinating person.

GrayGuy57 and Piobaire like this.
  15. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Agreed 100%

This fellow adds much depth and insight to a discussion with so much of tremendous interests, on a good many different topics.

I sure would not mind you and I sitting down with Piobaire and sharing views and opinions, and gleaning much insight from his tremendous font of knowledge........;)

"Live long and prosper"

16. cman

cman Member

I'm the kind of person that believes the Bible & even though I admit I don't know where certain things are I have read it and know what's there and still I'll say Jesus is not gonna accept people's sin as nothing. Yes, he still loves us but he does not accept everything we do as ok because he does have stipulations to Christian living. Yes he might talk to a homosexual and be nice and respectful but he will not tell a homosexual that that lifestyle is right according to his word or part-take in it and no, I'm not a hater of homosexuals as I have when younger been with a guy a col times and now have have very bicurious desires but that still don't make it right to follow through according to my understanding. There is and always will be be such a thing as sin which the Bible does say "sin separates us from God".

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I'm so sorry; how utterly horrible it must be to believe deep down that you're literally damned; eternally separated from the love of God, simply for the "crime" of being human.
    May the peace of Christ be with you.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    GrayGuy57 likes this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Christian nationalism adherents are nearly seven times more likely than non-adherents – 40% vs 16% – to agree that “true patriots might have to resort to violence to save our country”. Among those that support such political violence, 12% indicated that they have personally threatened to use or actually used a gun, knife or other weapon on someone in the past few years.

Additionally, half of Christian nationalism adherents and 38% of sympathizers endorse the idea of an authoritarian leader “who is willing to break some rules if that’s what it takes to set things right”.

In regards to Christian nationalism and other ideologies, 57% of Christian nationalism adherents disagree that white supremacy is a major problem in the country, and 70% reject the idea that historical discrimination contributes to current challenges faced by Black Americans.

Moreover, 71% of Christian nationalism adherents support the so-called “replacement theory” – a racist conspiracy belief that white Americans and Europeans are being deliberately “replaced” by non-white immigrants.

Nearly one-fourth, or 23%, of Christian nationalism adherents indicated that they believe that Jewish people in the United States hold too many positions of power. Meanwhile, 67% of Christian nationalism adherents say that people from some Muslim-majority countries should be banned from entering the US.

Furthermore, 69% of Christian nationalism adherents agree that “in a truly Christian family”, the husband is the household head while his wife submits to his leadership.

And people think calling them "Christo-fascists" is mere hyperbole.

Most US Republicans sympathetic to Christian nationalism, survey finds

GrayGuy57 likes this.
  19. cman

cman Member

Don't feel sorry for me I'm good. Can't blame my sin on God, that's my fault but he still loves me so I have hope

20. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

To this day, I STILL cannot fathom WHY certain people continue to think that gays CHOOSE their sexuality.

WHY, please tell me, WHY would ANY man purposely CHOOSE a lifestyle that is largely condemned by society, a lifestyle that is rife with heartbreak, heartache, and discrimination, or, even worse?

I know I certainly DID NOT choose my sexuality; seeing how much of straight society views gays (and bisexuals) I am MORE than glad I have remained celibate for all of my 66 years.

Religion is SUPPOSED to be about loving, caring, and brotherhood.......when religious zealots intone "pray away the gay" (yeah, right), and continue to preach hatred in the Name of the Lord, it truly blows the concept of a religion based on love and acceptance out of the ballpark.

Think of the severe emotional and mental anguish inflicted upon the minds of gay teens who KNOW they cannot change who they are, but PRETEND to "change", simply to conform to the standards of a largely heterosexual society.

They are setting themselves up for much pain and uncertainty as they mature and become adults.......

"Live long and prosper"