Daft Punk ‎– Random Access Memories (2013)

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by magic_rocks, May 22, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

'Lose Yourself to Dance' and 'Touch' are two songs I don't like... mostly because of the singing.

I actually think I might like this a little less than when I first heard it (I was high at the time), but I still enjoy it.

I also like the Panda Bear song. You immediately know who it is anytime he sings.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, seems it will be the biggest album of the year.

And wont do their reputation any harm, certainly not the album where everyone wonders "Errgg, what happened to them". Like has happened to so many artists. Kudos to them for surviving in a genre where so many have faded.

The Moroder song, I was disappointed with, I guess I was expecting something like the sound of his stuff, Electric Dreams II ;) , not what sounds like spoken word set to music, agree with what acuarela said.

But time will tell, maybe in those few years I will be in a purple turtleneck, driving out to the lake to feed the ducks thinking, wow, I am still listening to this

3. acuarela

acuarela Member

I love the singing on Lose Yourself to Dance, it has such a feel good vibe. I've always kinda like Pharrell Williams though, so it's no surprise I like it.

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I think when Cason gets up from his nap I'm going to go to the store and buy this album to give to Dan as a second father's day present (even though it's not for a while... I'll give it to him today)...and of course it'll really be for both of us, but yea... :)

That should make him happy before work tonight so he's been not feeling the best from coming off of subs and I'm proud of him for finally stopping them...

so anyways I can't wait to hear it :)

5. Pressed_Rat

Just know it doesn't sound anything like Homework or Discovery.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Well, do you recommend it? I saw on here that someone said it doesn't have a real house feel to it and I love (some kinds of) house but it doesn't have to to be good... I'm gonna go back to page two on this and read more of what you guys wrote cause I haven't read the whole thread... but unless everyone's saying it's a disappointment I think I'll end up getting it..

edit- yeah... I think I know kinda what to expect of this album and still can't wait to hear it/get it today :)

7. Pressed_Rat

I like it, but a lot of hardcore Daft Punk fans will be disappointed (or already are if they heard the album). Like I said before, the album harks back to the disco era, but predominately electronic, European disco.

8. Pressed_Rat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPsyqhZib7U"]Daft Punk feat Pharell Williams - Get Lucky - Random Access Memories - Full Song - HD - YouTube

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

^^^ That song makes me happy. Yeah, I like that. :D That particular song.. I envision it playing while kinda groovin around the house getting ready to go out and dance :D

Or I can just picture driving around listening to it.. music sounds great in my car and i'm still totally lovin driving around after so long, so looking forward to the drive home.

(okay at almost 3 mins into it it def has a classic daft punk sound there...)

very nice :)

10. acuarela

acuarela Member

It definitely it’s something different for them, but it still has their unique sound. I think it's easy to recognize one of their songs even if you've never heard it before.

A lot of my “friends” from Dominican Republic are very much into Daft Punk, which is not surprising, considering where we met, every single one of them has been raving on Facebook about how great this album is, except for one who said it’s not the kind of album that gets better the more you listen to it, unless you like cheesy disco. I think the reason why most of my friends like it, it’s because they love all genres of music you can dance to. They’re as likely to go to a rave as to spend the night dancing salsa.

11. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

Few genres of music have suffered as much derision, prejudice, misunderstanding and outright blind hatred as disco, and it just so happens to be my very, very favorite. I was once one of those people who dismissed disco as a coked up pop dance craze of the seventies, until I actually looked into it for myself and discovered that, as with every art form, there is garbage and there is gold and it takes familiarizing oneself with the form and (in my case) countless hours of sifting through trash to produce one item worth mentioning. But boy, when you find that item.. holy fucking shit is it hot!

Its a strange situation because I don't consider myself a 'disco fan' and call it a day (although some may think this about me, because it is the type of music I talk about the most) but rather I am a musician and a music lover, and find artists and albums within every imaginable style of music that I truly cherish and, depending on my mood, moves me to tears. I just happen to most often be in the mood for disco, and I think it reflects a part of my personality; anyway, most of the other highly intelligent, intellectual music lovers that I know cannot take disco seriously and entertain even my most raved about highest recommendations with any more than a passing curiosity. I don't think I've ever, ever, turned on a single person to the same level of appreciation for some of my very favorite albums in this genre, and while I don't like to presume that I know exactly why this is the case, I honestly believe it is at least in part due to the stereotyped prejudice against it that has existed since its beginnings as not constituting 'real' music, you know.. 'serious' music.

Maybe I'm wrong, only I just cant understand how I can show people Venus Gang, Falcons, Grand Prix, Arpadys, I Signori Della Galassia, Alex Cima, Magic Mail, Hans Edler, Space Art, Droids, Frederic Mercier, Bamboo, Electric Nightmare, Chris Craft, Stratosferic Band, Space, Ashra Tempel (the later stuff), Dominik von Senger, Azoto, Miro, The Androids, Su Kramer, Sauveur Mallia (check out Spatial & Co Vol 2... WTF?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!), Giak, Armand Frydman, Teddy Lasry, Contact, Angipatch, Steelcream (Ten Hertz, baby!), Dogs of War, Roboterwerke, Christian Bruhn, Easy Going, Syncophonic Orchestra... and thats just scratching the surface, don't even get me started on the really out-there stuff.

Now, Matt is sort of an exception, he at least digs Black Devil Disco Club and Brian Bennett's Journey Into Discoid Funk, both of which are *killer* fucking albums and at least in retrospect have gained some of the respect and attention they deserve for being decades ahead of their time, and I'm very happy to see he feels me on the new Daft Punk album, although I'm kind of sad that he is since realizing that he doesn't like it as much as he initially thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLBM2fdSh7Q"]Venus Gang - Love to Fly - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRi9L3T2xIk"]Perdido En El Universo (1978) - Falcons - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuAyM2Hjfgk"]Chris Craft - Discosmic Dancer - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao5uiWUzMx4"]Brian Bennett - Solstice (HD) - YouTube

12. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

Oh and lets not forget about this little gem, by Norma Jordan

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfAxNhKSSKo"]norma - feel me 1979 - YouTube

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Kay... I got it and listening to it now. Got up to track four and then Dan got up so now I've restarted it so he can listen w me. Anyways, as soon as he heard beginning of Give Life Back to Music he said "so you got the daft punk album?" ... so he recognized them right away and I agree that it does still sound like daft punk- a different style of daft punk but you can still tell it's daft punk. In any case, I also started playing Get Lucky for him but he already heard that one over n over on public radio... so anyways.. started from the beginning again. And speaking of the beginning I really like the first track... (oh and btw I also skipped ahead to lose yourself to dance and I wasn't really digging that one.. it kinda annoyed me so so far I like Give Life Back to Music and Get Lucky the best but didn't even really get to hear 4 yet..)
    Anyways, I'm glad I got it. =)

14. Pressed_Rat

I have been getting into this track. It kinda reminds me of ELO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d44uHiB9CCA"]Daft Punk - Fragments of Time (Official HD) - YouTube

15. Pressed_Rat

I agree that 'Lose Yourself to Dance' is one of the weaker tracks on the album. The singing sounds so cliche.

16. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah that's the third to last (fragments) and I'm tryin to listen in order now but will post on it later.

Oh...what's funny is...and why I started replying here again is... D went upstairs so I paused the music cause I thought Case wanted to watch Sesame Street and he came running over pointing at the computer saying "back on! moosic! BACK! ON!!" and then I started playing it again and he smiles and starts dancing. :) Haha, my kid has good taste in moo-sic.

17. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I mean... who knows...maybe it'll grow on me, but I doubt it. It kinda hurt to listen to that. I really didn't like it. (annoying)... for a more "dancey" track i'd def go with give life back to music or lucky over that...

Within is on right now and I like it...mellow and makes me want to shut my eyes.

18. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Touch I thought was really good... different for Daft Punk but I liked it a lot... interested in hearing what it sounds like the second time I hear it then. On Beyond now and I like the orchestra...

edit- Fragments of Time is really, really good. One of my favorites so far on here.

19. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

You know..sitting here right now I just kinda got "lost" in Giorgio by Moroder and had to look at the cd player to see what was playing because it's not that common for me to zone like that in a good way.. put me in a trance. Nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4ZkEqQrn0"]Daft Punk - Giorgio By Moroder - YouTube

really really good!

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I listened to most of the album. Pretty pedestrian, there are a couple songs that are really quality interspersed throughout the album but it seems like for every song like that, there is a couple songs in between that make me want to fall asleep or put on some Kenny G for something with a bit more grit.

I'm on a music review site and I've actually reviewed some of these songs, almost the whole second side in fact, and I was completely unaware they were Daft Punk, except for Beyond and the single Get Lucky.

Thanks for posting the album.