Crux, Southern Cross

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jimandjan, Jun 27, 2020.

1. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Did Crosby, Stills & Nash Make a great song, or is the Southern Cross worth seeing for the first time?

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Depends if that sort of thing floats your boat.

jimandjan likes this.
  3. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Bilby, I just like the song. I do know some gather in southern Florida, not sure of the date, but I'll never made the journey.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I do remember once seeing the Southern Cross early in the morning on a lettuce farm I was working on.

5. Varmint

Varmint Member

I'm thinking that the southeastern USA is a good place to see such a thing. East of the Mississippi is lousy with light pollution for viewing anything near the horizon. A nice star chart would be handy, too. For those willing to install a computer app, there is STELLARIUM, or K-STARS, both of which seem to give great views of what's out on any given night. Stellarium has a "night mode" that tints everything red so your monitor won't blind you while viewing and comparing outside.

jimandjan likes this.
  6. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Thanks Varmint,
    I might check these apps out. I think about it when I hear the song. Think it would be cool to see ; the cross for the first time, like it says in the song.