Crush energy wasting lightbulbs!

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by Anders III, Apr 28, 2007.

1. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

LOL......come on man, do you really think that my view is that narrow?? Of course their are alot more important rights being taken away, I know this, i've lived to see it, and I fight them as well, in reality, vigorously, and on a daily basis. I was simply trying to make a point, don't take it so literally, and please read some of my other posts before you assume things like this. At least, give me a little credit! :)

2. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Thanks alot Mandell, good to know others can see past the bullshit as well.

3. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

the most efficient light bulb ...is one that is not turned on ..

replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs will not help much if people continue to waste energy...and lets not forget they have mercury in them ...so they do pose there own enviromental risk...

turning off the light when it is not needed and using task lighting....now that can save a planet[​IMG]

4. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Well said, I completely agree.

5. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

i do not know you that is true and that was only a nock against your comment ....not you personally ....i do understand your frustrations, our society is fucked up...they are now banning FAT in your food in some places yet only taxing cigs.....banning some light bulbs yet encouraging people to buy SUVs and build bigger and bigger houses that live in cities that are over crowded and poorly designed... the list goes on and on...

i think i am going to go burn a transfat french fry [​IMG]

6. Mr_Nest

Mr_Nest Member

Hey guys, back to the subject at hand for a sec. I replaced all the light bulbs in my house with the flourescent ones and immediately saw a 30% drop in my electric bill. I also have not replaced a single one in the almost 3 years that I have had them. Before, I was replacing the incandescent bulbs every few months, so at least in my opinion they do help save energy and the good qualities outweigh the bad. That they contain mercury is the only major crux for me, but I'm sure that in the manufacture of the (many more) incandescents I would use in place of the CFL's the chemicals produced and energy wasted is probably worse. That being said, making incandescents illegal is going a little too far and definitely does open the public to exploitation because they have to buy the "legal" bulbs which may have to be a specific kind (made by a specific company..)

7. meteorlima

meteorlima Member

keep in mind CFL's contain mercury but do save energy but LED's may be better.

8. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

A bit of hip history. I am 52. When I was 20 and food co-ops were numerous, the hills were full of hippys(back to the land movement), and environmental activism was mainstream, it was common knowledge that any type of florescent lighting was bad. Not simply bad for the environment i/e the mercury etc., but bad for human health, both physical and mental. I don't have all the "facts" handy, but do remember everyone removing florescent lighting from their homes (if they had electricity), from the local food co-op, and from any other hip hangouts.

9. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

If you saw a 30% drop in your bill you must be leaving lights on all the time. The fact that you have been replacing light bulbs every few months is also an indication that you are leaving lights on all the time. I have incadescents that are more than three years old. But then I only turn them on when I need light to read or see.

10. DaveHT

DaveHT Member

It's not just Ontario, the feds decided that they should follow Ontario and now incans are going to banned across the entire country in 2012. What a bunch of asses. Ever try turning on a flurecent light in an unheated garage when its -30? Its not going to light up, it just sits there flickering. Oh well, at least the guys that smuggle low flow toilets to the States will have something other than guns to smuggle back on the trip home.