Crockpot cooking time

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by crummyrummy, May 15, 2004.

1. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

So I wanna play with my crockpot. The advice I am seeking is this:

How long should I cook 1.33 lbs of ground yurkey in there? It'll be mixed with cream of celery soup, spinach, asparagus, crushed tomatos and whatever else I got lying around that sounds good at the time?

2. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

As it is ground it will not take long at all. I say and hour tops but on low it could sit as long as 3 hours and not be over cooked. I have some crock pot recipes if you would like me to post some I will dig them out.
    Love & Laughter
    EnonEmouse

3. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

First off ground meats should always be browned & drained before using in a slow cooker recipe to help destroy any bacteria in the meats.

I glanced at some of my recipes that call for ground meats and they all give approximate cooking times of 6 to 8 hrs on low (I usually do around 6) or 3 to 4 on high (I do 3).

Let us know how it turns out! :)

4. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

I always brown my meat before I put it in the slow cooker no matter what meat it is. I thought that everyone did. I have never put my ground anything in the slowcooker for longer then an hour on High so I guess I am a bad Mommy and could be making my kids sick but I thought as the mince was basically cooked before it went it it would be OK.

OOOOPS!!!!!

Love & Big Ooops
    EnonEmouse

5. Althea

I brown the meats most of the time too, Enonemouse. Some recipes I don't though; for example yesterday I threw 1lb. of chicken breasts and a bottle of my fave barbeque sauce into the pot, cooked it on low for 6 hours, and shredded it for b.b.q chicken sandwiches (YUM!). I wouldn't brown the meat for a recipe like that. And your NOT a bad mommy for doin' it the way yer doin' it with the ground meats, mouse! Since you already had browned (make sure it's COMPLETELY cooked if yer cookin' it for such a short time) the meat you aren't riskin' any bacteria growth. :)

6. crummyrummy

I am glad I asked...I was just gonna put it in raw!!!!!! thanks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hugs<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

7. Althea

Anytime, crummy! [​IMG]
    ((((HuGs)))) ya back!

8. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

I just bought a crockpot, too, and haven't used it yet. Thanks for the tips. I'm a good cook, but I've never used one of these things. Here's to experimentation!

9. Althea

Since there seems to be some crockpot "newbies" I'll start up a crockpot recipe thread. I know I'd like some new recipes too :)

10. crummyrummy

So heres what I made.

1.33 lbs of ground turkey, brownd and drained.
    .33 lbs italian sausage browned
    1/2-10.5oz can marinated artichoke hearts.
    1-28 oz can crushed tomatos(actually when I opened it, it was puree and not what the label said)
    2-10.5oz cans fat free cream of celery soup.
    1-10.5oz can asparagus
    10 oz frozen spinach
    1-half a yellow onion minced
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp chicken boullion granuals
    Generous shakings of red pepper flakes and Panola©
    Clearly Hot Sauce (not hot at all really, just yummy) to taste.
    I tossed it all in a crock and cooked it on high for 2 hours.
    Served in a bowl and some Parmesian Cheese on top...I think it is Yummy!!!!

this was pretty much started as a me wanting to make something with meat, spinach and cream of celery...I just added what ever was in the fridge or pantry. sausage and artichoke hearts were leftover from a pizza I made recently.